The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By onthehunt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2014, 01:56 PM

onthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura about
Default Dream Location?

Well, lets just say I miss my upper Midwest roots too much and it is time to return!

I grew up fishing and camping all over Wisconsin, the UP, Minnesota and NW Ontario. Unfortunately, a job for the better half brought us to the desert and count the days until we leave this hole! While here, I have fished Colorado, Oregon, Montana, Utah and New Mexico. There are some beautiful places and some great fishing, however it just does not compare to the Upper Midwest, at least for me.

Rooted deep in my blood and deeper in my heart are those tanic colored lakes and rivers, the big beautiful Steelhead of the Great Lakes, the most beautiful Bronze Smallmouth I've ever seen, big, aggressive Muskie, farm pond Largemouth, powerful King Salmon, meadow Trout, agriculture fed Whitetail, Ducks, Geese, Bald Eagles, Loons, four distinctive seasons, etc. I simply need to return!

Obviously, factor number one in location will be a great base for fly fishing adventures and I simply can not decide where I want to go. North central Wisconsin has the Smallies, Pike, Muskie and Largemouth, with Steelhead being had to the northwest or east. Northeast Wisconsin has the Smallies, Largemouth, Salmon, Steelhead and Lake Run Browns, with Muskie being northwest. The UP of Michigan, as well as northern LP of Michigan are also in the running! I guess I must add that as I become older, I fall more in love with moving water than I do lakes.

If I had to rank order things:
1. Big Smallies
2. Muskie/Steelhead
3. Steelhead/Muskie
4. Bowhunting/Waterfowl Hunting
5. Waterfowl Hunting/ Bowhunting

The Great Lakes region, especially the upper Midwest really offers more than anywhere else in the country, with quality. Montana, Oregon, Colorado all have a calling to me, but I long for a return to the true "North Country". Nothing will ever replace it, for me!

Am I nuts?

What are the thoughts of those in internet land?
Old 06-29-2014, 02:38 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dream Location?

I spent my first 30+ years split between Chicago suburbs and Michigan. Between those two Michigan wins hands down. I spent most of my summers growing up at a camp in Northern Wisconsin, hike and canoeing the chains of lakes and rivers in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Canada, and the UP. Now we return every summer to my wife's family cabin 20 miles south of the UP. I love living in Denver, love the climate, the mountains, the streams, the energy of the town, etc. But I know what you mean, whenever I fly back into the Midwest there is something about the green and lakes and woods and rivers that is very beautiful. Whether or not we ever move back there I will keep returning to fish and see family.

Given your list, I'd say you should go to Wisconsin, as far north as you can handle (winters can be a bear). You've got bass and musky fishing, fish running up from Lake Michigan, and trout in Wisconsin, the UP, and Minnesota. You can also hop the ferry across to Michigan for a nice long weekend and avoid the Chicago traffic.
Old 06-29-2014, 02:49 PM

grtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to all

Well, you're not giving much information to go by.....Are you retired? Have a gazillion dollars? Have kids that need good schools? Need work, if so what kind? etc. etc.. Those questions and others similar need to be answered first no matter how vague.

Past that home prices have really shot up in the region, the average 1,000sq.' house costing $3.4m......Fortunately I have one I can let go for a cool $1m. Guess what I'm fishing for?

Besides that last possibly being a lie, a bit more info might help narrow it down for you.

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:10 PM

onthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtlksmarlin View Post
Well, you're not giving much information to go by.....Are you retired? Have a gazillion dollars? Have kids that need good schools? Need work, if so what kind? etc. etc.. Those questions and others similar need to be answered first no matter how vague.

Past that home prices have really shot up in the region, the average 1,000sq.' house costing $3.4m......Fortunately I have one I can let go for a cool $1m. Guess what I'm fishing for?

Besides that last possibly being a lie, a bit more info might help narrow it down for you.

B.E.F.
To answer some questions, not that I think it matters as I am simply thinking out loud and on the boards and "fishing" for peoples thoughts if you will.....

Mid 30's, soon to be married, no kids, none planned, two dogs, we both hunt and fish, I have guided in the past, I freelance as a photographer, I lived in "well to do" suburbs if you will (not rich, far from it, paying things off and aware of what we want and it is the simpler life), I've lived in the "bush" of Canada and simply want to return to what I love. Of course, earning a living is always a concern, but fortunately, we have some skills and know how in areas that can allow us to be self employed.

---------- Post added at 01:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
I spent my first 30+ years split between Chicago suburbs and Michigan. Between those two Michigan wins hands down. I spent most of my summers growing up at a camp in Northern Wisconsin, hike and canoeing the chains of lakes and rivers in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Canada, and the UP. Now we return every summer to my wife's family cabin 20 miles south of the UP. I love living in Denver, love the climate, the mountains, the streams, the energy of the town, etc. But I know what you mean, whenever I fly back into the Midwest there is something about the green and lakes and woods and rivers that is very beautiful. Whether or not we ever move back there I will keep returning to fish and see family.

Given your list, I'd say you should go to Wisconsin, as far north as you can handle (winters can be a bear). You've got bass and musky fishing, fish running up from Lake Michigan, and trout in Wisconsin, the UP, and Minnesota. You can also hop the ferry across to Michigan for a nice long weekend and avoid the Chicago traffic.

We left Wheaton, to come to Arizona! I don't miss that area one bit! I almost think Hayward area is at the tops of the list, however, the Marquette County and the Oconto and Menominee River ares are up there too. She even mentioned the "Arrowhead" region of Minnesota and while beautiful, not sure that will suffice.
williamhj likes this.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:22 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Ha! born in Wheaton myself. Grew up going to HoneyRock.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:15 AM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

Have you considered Duluth, MN? If you can stomach the winters, you have steelhead, stream trout, huge lake smallmouth, muskies, and all manner of hunting right there.

Or do what everyone else in MN does and live in Minneapolis and buy a lakehouse up north.

Because it's not so close to Chicago, MN gets much less pressure than WI or MI in general. And that lower pressure combined with an ethos of funding true conservation and not just put-n-take means that Minnesota is an outdoorsman's paradise.