The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2014, 02:19 PM

arlanjac is on a distinguished road
Default Pelican lake Orr, MN

Has anyone else fished this lake? Going up there next week. I've been there a few times, caught some nice bass, but have never fly fished it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-30-2014, 02:39 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Pelican lake Orr, MN

I fished it about 20 years ago and had a blast!! There was a large channel in the lake that had lily pads on both sides with a small clearing through the middle of it. I think it was called swan creek? Whatever it was called, trolling some lure caught so many pike! Then there was a bay that was full of stumps and also laded with pike and bass.

I have no idea how much of that has changed.

---------- Post added at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 PM ----------

So I just google mapped it. It wasn't the creek but this little channel

48.097674, -92.880621

We stayed at that campground right there and I remember just heading "right" from the dock would lead me to that channel.

The bay, from what I could remember, was straight left so I'm thinking it was Saunders bay. Again, this is just going back to my memory when I was 14
Old 06-30-2014, 02:45 PM

Thanks, I'll make sure to check that out! I've heard Saunders bay is a good spot to try

Old 06-30-2014, 02:46 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

I've fished it a few times, but the last time was 5 or 6 years ago. It used to be loaded with hammer handle pike, pretty decent bass, and a good # of walleye. If you want to target walleyes, clouser minnows or black wooly buggers in the shallows near dusk should work for you.

If you can find lilypads and weed lines, you'll find bass and pike all day long. Those, aside from bluegills will be the easiest for you to target there. Weedless poppers, buggers, clousers, and any other streamer will all work for you.

Make sure you pay close attention to the boating regs there, as that will be a heavily patrolled lake (it's the biggest in the county). There are also zebra mussels in the lake, so check your boat trailer thoroughly and pull your plugs so that you don't get ticketed.

Also, be prepared for the zoo that the 4th of July will be. Jet skis and tubers will be everywhere that weekend. If the traffic is too much for you to handle, go find a smaller lake in the area. Most of the lakes that are under 300-400 acres won't see nearly the amount of boat traffic as Pelican will.
Old 06-30-2014, 02:50 PM

Sounds good thanks for the fly ideas

Old 07-02-2014, 11:13 AM

minneguy is on a distinguished road

Good number of small northerns willing to hit. Last time I took my 5wt, and some inexpensively tied green and silver flies of all types and killed the northerns. They were up shallow and were really eager.

---------- Post added at 04:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:10 PM ----------

I've also heard the walleyes are shallow in the evening, though I've never had luck with that myself