The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2014, 08:08 PM

booone0 is on a distinguished road
Default Rivers near boyne

So, it looks like I'm going to have a chance to fish up north in Michigan next week. I live north of Detroit and there are not a lot of trout streams nearby. We are vacationing with my family in Boyne, MI next week and I will have either one morning or one evening on my own to fly fish.

I would really love a chance to wade into the river and try some of the excellent flies Hairwing530 tied up for me, fishing for some trout. I am currently looking at the Boyne river, as it seems like a good stream in the area to try out for a beginner.

I know that specific fishing spots are not something posted up on a general forum, which is understandable. That's not what I'm looking for. But, for anyone experienced in the area, could you tell me if any stretches of the river are over fished, flooded with tubers and rafters, or totally dead for fishing? I mostly C&R (although I am not opposed to taking a fish for food only when the environment can support it), so I'm not concerned with size of the fish. I just have one day to get some quality trout fishing in, and I'm trying to make the most of it, which is why I am reaching out to everyone!

If you had the choice, which is better, morning or evening? Are there any other rivers I should look at close to the Boyne resort?

As always, I greatly appreciate any advice you guys can give. This forum is an amazing resource, and I hope to one day accumulate enough experience so that I can contribute in a meaningful way!

Thanks!
Old 07-07-2014, 06:44 PM

Default Re: Rivers near boyne

Nobody with info? Strangely, another michigan forum has a ban on even giving info on this river. I am not sure why.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:31 PM

grtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the rough

From "Michigan Trout Streams" by B. Linsenman & S. Nevala:

* Short but very productive for larger than average Brown Trout...
* Dusk is mentioned as an ideal time...
* S. Branch has a lot of private land along it, though is accessible at 3 points south of Boyne Falls and just west of US131.
* S. Branch typical dry flies work well, though small streamers are very productive. Nymphs will do well yet are difficult to fish there.
* N. Branch has some virtually impossible areas to fish and some easier.
* N. Branch in Early July does get some pressure, yet it gets that pressure because of the great fish.
* The Boyne also gets a solid Steelhead run in the spring, and Atlantic Salmon in the fall.

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:53 PM

pryal74 has a spectacular aura aboutpryal74 has a spectacular aura about

Honestly, I think their should be bans on all Michigan rivers info on the net. There's too many catch and kill people ruining rivers. We have a rule in the U.P. that you do not mention rivers publically. Some people think this is silly, but you have to actually think for a moment. Heavy traffic on small and remote streams, ruins them.

Say what you want about catch and kill. You can't mess with the facts. It's not an accident that the absolute best trout streams in the entire world are untouched by man.

Just like rivers where the brook trout size limits are in place. It's not a coincidence that when the minimum size limit is 8 inches, all you catch it 7.5 inchers.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:38 AM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of

Hey pryal74,

I understand where you're coming from and there is some common ground, so to speak, with me and your argument. I agree that some of the small rivers can't withstand an onslaught of anglers just because of the sheer pressure. But, a total ban on all information about Michigan's-- or any other state's --trout fishing? That horse left the barn years ago...

Having been a part of the "angling/hunting" media for many years, I've always felt that it was the writer's responsibility to limit the specifics on the streams and rivers that were unable to take on a glut of pressure. For example, it's fine in my book to mention the AuSable River, as its 125+ miles of water tends to spread out the angling pressure. The small tribs that feed it, however, should only be mentioned in passing. Plainly put, said tribs can't take the heavy hits that accompany publicity.

There is no changing the fact that we're living in an information-rich age of technology, one where searches can turn up a wealth of info with only a few keystrokes. And, in the end, writers will continue to write, books will be continue to be published, and "secret streams" will be revealed. As much as we may not like it, it does happen and will continue to do so.

For me personally, after 50+ years wandering Michigan rivers, I will continue to help new/younger anglers find a few good fishing areas, just as my elders and older friends once helped me gain insight into the sport of fly fishing/fly tying and the best rivers to fish. And, while I won't get "point specific" on access publicly, I won't hesitate to lend a hand privately. After all, that's what PMs and e-mail were designed to accommodate...

But, that's just me...
wjl and grtlksmarlin like this.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:24 AM

kenaijoe is on a distinguished road

This is critical... as someone whom was taught to fish by my father, but not fly fish, learning new areas, techniques and everything, may be eased by the internet, but it still doesnt put me in a stream, at the right place, doing the right thing, with someone who has been there before.

As someone who is 34, the child of a boomer, I am the lost generation of hunters/fishers. Our numbers are lowest, and I am oddity among my peers having been shown more than just the very basics of hunt/fish/trap sports. Most of what I have done has come from the basics my dad taught me and yet dont out on my own because of the lack of those around me who actually fully participate.

So you seasoned anglers - of any age, when you are in a stream or shop and hear that someone is new and wants to learn. Offer an evening or day to someone... it will help you in the long run by creating a BETTER and more RESPONSIBLE fisherman, and probably many more to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairwing530 View Post
For me personally, after 50+ years wandering Michigan rivers, I will continue to help new/younger anglers find a few good fishing areas, just as my elders and older friends once helped me gain insight into the sport of fly fishing/fly tying and the best rivers to fish. And, while I won't get "point specific" on access publicly, I won't hesitate to lend a hand privately. After all, that's what PMs and e-mail were designed to accommodate...

But, that's just me...
hairwing530 and grtlksmarlin like this.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:46 AM

grtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the rough

Bluntly, if information is not shared then all outdoors sports die...period.

I'm one of those folks who came from a family too hard working to play. That came to me with a lot of good lessons yet also some bad in that balance is the key....Part of that being hunting (and to a smaller degree fishing). I literally did not start hunting, bow hunting primarily, until roughly 1990/1 at 30 y.o. during that recession and at the insitence of my wife.....So picture my first day:

Driving through state land I finally see a large meadow, park the car, and while wearing my street clothes, covered in cologne, bow and chair in hand I walk out into then around the field. I see trails, what kind I have no idea so they must be deer, and set the chair in the middle of this medow 75yards from any edge, sit down and wait with the top of my head 4' off the ground having no concept of wind direction or all the scent I laid down wandering around......Guess what I saw?

Now I'm a no quit kind-of guy. I start something I WILL accomplish it even if it kills me. So I read every book I could find (books and libraries, it's what we used to call the internet), yet most of all the absolutely FANTASTIC Michigan Bow Hunting community of hunters were more than happy to share every shred of info they had (shaking another man's hand then talking with him....What we called forums), even direct me to some of their prime spots, telling me to use their stands to insure my success.

They did that literally as it was said many times...."To perpetuate and grow the sport of Bow Hunting in Michigan."....and that is why Michigan has literally some of the best Whitetail Deer hunting on the planet, because our BOW HUNTERS (not gun hunters), shared the sport to others causing it to grow, demanded sound wildlife management legislation, and environmental conservation.

Now don't get me wrong, most folks trying bow hunting even with help like I received will quit soon enough....You have to stick to it, and many do not have the heart to tough the environment, thick brush, long hours of being still, practice and so on.......Same thing with fisherman.

The average fisherman looks for easy access, where do most others go (in crowds), and a lack of success means they will never fish there again.

Yes, can sharing too much like a particular run/depth/lure/technique for a certain spot along with tips on how to get there directly threaten to lead the wrong sort there? Of course.......However, just enough given including a name of a river (you guys do realize rivers are longer then 100 yards right?), and some general help will perpetuate "this sport".

Frankly, your secret honey hole I don't give a hoot about. I want to explore and learn about the whole thing. In fact in my perpetual arrogance I believe that you probably missed the best places, your secret spot already beat up by you one of the last places I want to be.

Finally.....There is not a stream in the U.S. that has not been seen or is untouched by man. Even your little secret spot in the woods has been trampled over more times than you can imagine....The difference is, did they apply the effort to make it successful.

Your average beer swilling, worm chucking, kill em all let God sort em out type most of the time doesn't have the patience, heart, or intelligence that it takes to fill in the blanks and make it a rewarding experience.

Past that, preaching to the choir here doesn't change them.....They need to fail so they can be corrected and if that doesn't take shamed. It's a learning process, and except for the few sociopaths out there who will never learn, no one else will learn about conservation if they are not taught and exposed to it.

B.E.F.
hairwing530 likes this.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:44 PM

First off, thanks for the information B.E.F., I will need to look up those access points. Would you suggest the book from which you took this information for a beginner fly fisherman in MI?

My situation is similar to kenaijoe; my grandfather and great grandfather were both hunters and fishermen, but this skipped a generation with my parents. My dad did get me out fishing a few times, but that was for me, not because he was a fisherman. So now, as I approach 30, I find my interests gravitating towards those which allow me to interact with and appreciate nature, but I have nobody in my friends or family circle to guide me as so many of you may have had.

When I began bow hunting last year, I attacked it much like I am approaching fly fishing now: I bought a bow nearly as old as I am, six arrows, learned to shoot it well, and read voraciously on topography, deer movements, habits, weather patterns, etc. I bought books and read internet forums to learn how to find land to hunt. I selected a game area about an hour away from my house and spent many days pre-season scouting. From discussions such as this, I learned of hunting ethics (and made some of my own decisions based on the laws and the well articulated arguments I read), strategies, and mistakes others have made. It made the steep learning curve a little more manageable. The first year I took a buck, processed it and froze it on my own.

Now, if there weren't other bowhunters willing to share their experiences, both on the net and in person, I may have gotten a deer...maybe not though. Maybe if the information was more restricted, it would have taken me much longer. But now I've reached the point in my hunting knowledge where I am bringing a good friend in. Next fall, he might be sitting in my old treestand, along the deer trail I found last season - unless he finds a spot he likes better. And hopefully he will find a greater appreciation for hunting and spread this to others.

This is all to say, as B.E.F. pointed out, there are parallels here. I made this thread because after doing my research, I was unable to answer my main question - am I wasting my time trying to fly fish for trout in the Boyne river? I never asked for anyone's secret side creek full of naive trout. I am the bowhunter today that I am because of the large quantity of good information and supportive fellow hunters that are out there.

Jerry, I agree with you. A balance must be struck between giving beginners enough information to ignite a passion and learn without putting too much pressure on environments that can't handle it.

pyral74, I see where you're coming from and I respect that your opinion likely comes from years of fishing experience. I'm not sure where your "catch and kill" rant is coming from. Keep all of your information hidden away, but don't be surprised when those from the "catch and kill" crowd read your posts and come away with the impression that fly fishing is for elitist old men - no thank you, I'll stick to my spinning rod and keeping all the trout I can.

As a side note, there's a part of me that thinks the Boyne river must be a hidden gem if a large Michigan forum deletes all posts related to it.

Again, thank you all for the information and good discussion. I'll report back in extensive detail with access points and GPS coordinates next week when I get home....
wjl likes this.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:26 PM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of

Hey booone0,

Contact me tomorrow via e-mail: jwarrington1@copper.net. I'll do some "research" for you via my library shelves and see if I can help you narrow in a bit on your options...

Tight lines now and always, my friend...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
Old 07-15-2014, 06:45 PM

booone0,

E-mail sent your way a few minutes ago...

Jerry, aka hairwing530