The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By ejsell
  • 1 Post By kenaijoe
  • 1 Post By rusty 54
  • 2 Post By grtlksmarlin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2014, 01:21 AM

kenaijoe is on a distinguished road
Default Day Trip Fishing - Northern Lower Michigan - Suggestions Welcome!

The wife told me she wants to:
"go to a beach this weekend; Lk. Mich, Lk. Huron - doesn't matter, we can stop to fish along the way, while we are there, or whatever, but it cant be complicated - the beach is the ultimate goal."
As a family we like to "Adventure" but with 3 small kids, things have to be pretty straight-forward right now. That means, easy places to get to, a town, playground, campground near by, and easy access to the river/stream I plan to fish.

I haven't explored Michigan rivers much beyond where our cottage is (N. Branch AuSable) but this is sort of a freebie for me. I was thinking of exploring the Pere Mqt. and then eventually heading to Ludington? Or possibly the East end of the AuSable? My goal would be to fish this weekend, but also get comfortable with a place where I could possibly do some Steelhead/Salmon this fall.

I know "spots" and locations aren't fair to ask for - and you can PM me if you'd like, but can anyone suggest some fairly easy in places, possibly even family friendly? (Meaning that watching from shore/lunching while I fish is feasible? The only caveat being that it be near or along the way to a "Beach" on the great lakes... which is an easy task I think. I have ideas, and have researched a bit - was looking more for some sage advice here
Old 08-06-2014, 10:07 AM

ejsell has a spectacular aura aboutejsell has a spectacular aura aboutejsell has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Day Trip Fishing - Northern Lower Michigan - Suggestions Welcome!

Platte river runs into the sleeping bear dunes national park. Nice federal park, lots of campgrounds and family friendly areas. Beautiful river and the beach at the end where it runs into Lake Michigan looks really nice, although I've only been there in the fall. There's a canoe livery in Honor. Near by towns of Empire and Frankfort are nice little touristy towns to visit and shop. Frankfort has a nice protected beach with playgrounds. Check out the point Betsie lighthouse nearby. I believe empire has a nice beach also but didn't get a chance to see it. I'm hoping to take my family up there next summer sometime but will be there again this fall with some buddies for steelhead.
dean_mt and hairwing530 like this.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:53 PM

I have canoed the Platte, just never fished, would be interesting to see if there were any places that you could get to before you get too close to the lake that upstream from the livery where there is less traffic.

Good suggestion, that was one of the places I thought of, just wasn't sure if there was anywhere worth fishing.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:25 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Sleeping Bear is awesome. The Big Manistee is pretty close, on the way. You'll drive over it if you take the right route.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:36 PM

Yeah that Empire, SBD, area looks like it might be the ticket.

Was also thinking of doing Baldwin/Ludington (Pere Mqt.)? What I'd really like to do is find and get comfortable with some areas that I could end up fishing this fall as well.

I think what I really need is to find someone who has done some of these places and become friends with them.
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:00 PM

rusty 54 will become famous soon enough

Private message sent
kenaijoe likes this.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:57 AM

Ok looks like we will be heading the other way and will be staying with an Aunt in Oscoda.

So lower AuSable.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:58 PM

firetroop91 is on a distinguished road

Awesome smallie fishing on the lower AS. You can also scout your spots for upcoming steelhead.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:13 AM

grtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenaijoe View Post
Ok looks like we will be heading the other way and will be staying with an Aunt in Oscoda.

So lower AuSable.
Disagree.....My favorite go to place in Michigan is the Pine River that runs just N. of the AuSable above and into VanEtten Lake. You'll catch Browns below Buhl Rd.. Rainbow up to the powerlines, and Brookies above that. At Buhl Rd. there seems to be the remnants of a dam or spillway, how the Salmon make it over it is beyond me yet in the fall the Pine will be so packed with Salmon that "literally not figuratively" you must walk on them to cross the river. On the lower stretch you'll also find holdover river-run Steelhead.

From Bull Rd. West 2-track federal forest roads parallel it much of the way. Best Access to the lower stretch is to park at the bridge on Cruzen Rd. and walk West. Take F-41 to past Wurtsmith, turn West at F-30 (Mikado), turn South onto Cruzen. Buhl is the next rd. on F-30 past Cruzen, Pine River Rd. will get you to the upper reaches.

Also consider Buck Creek Pond S. of W. River Road (midway between Foote and Cooke dam ponds) for some nice Brookie action....East end I think fairs better then the west, though a canoe would let you cover it all and the difficult N. shore.

Consider it next trip up there.

B.E.F.
hairwing530 and booone0 like this.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.