The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2014, 11:33 PM

onthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura about
Default "Driftless" Region.......

An move after the first of the year may be happening.

I am familiar with the warmwater opportunities, as well as the Lake Michigan tributary opportunities in Wisconsin. However, I have never experienced the driftless region.

Does anyone have photos of the area and of fish from they area that they would like to share?

I think the biggest issue I may have would be the size of the fish. Everything seems so small.

I'd love to see some photos.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:26 AM

red feather troutbum is on a distinguished road
Default Re: "Driftless" Region.......

Hi, I haven't heard the term drift less describing here before so not sure how to reply?
Size is relative/subjective, within a couple hours from Denver there's a dozen places that hold 20" bow and browns which is where, IMO we considered them big, plenty get a lot bigger but trout length and weight are not necessarily in direct proportion above that length, bass, pike, Muskie, & carp have more length & weight to them, lakers as well...that said, hiking to a tiny wild cutthroat creek on a high tributary & fooling fish that have never seen a fly may be a lot smaller but some of those are the pictures i remember more in the long run? If you're looking for max size in the region, google the dream stream, grey reef, frying pan & Landon Mayer (sp?) he wrote a book on it a few years back...

---------- Post added at 07:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 AM ----------

Alrighty, I'm feeling dumb, thumbs are too fat to reply on a phone-thought I was in Rocky Mountains when I read the post above. D'oh!
Old 11-11-2014, 08:46 AM

lenh is a jewel in the roughlenh is a jewel in the roughlenh is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthehunt View Post

I am familiar with the warmwater opportunities, as well as the Lake Michigan tributary opportunities in Wisconsin. However, I have never experienced the driftless region.

Does anyone have photos of the area and of fish from they area that they would like to share?

I think the biggest issue I may have would be the size of the fish. Everything seems so small.

Click the image to open in full size.

---------- Post added at 07:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 AM ----------

---------- Post added at 07:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:35 AM ----------

Quote:

Iowa and Minnesota are in the driftless also.
mcnerney, mysticm and cletus like this.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:00 AM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold

Iowa's 99 streams are mostly managed for "put and take" stocker rainbow fishing. Fish normally in the 12" range. Iowa does have a few quality streams but Wisconsin owns most of the quality brown trout fishing IMO.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:45 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think the biggest issue I may have would be the size of the fish. Everything seems so small..
It is an adjustment to fish for small fish, if you're accustomed to large ones. However, the first time a 6-8" trout inspects and rejects fly after fly while continuing to feed and you spend 45 minutes changing flies, approach, and tippet until you finally catch it, you'll find them plenty exciting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red feather troutbum View Post
Hi, I haven't heard the term drift less describing here before so not sure how to reply?
Glacial drift is the material left behind by glaciers. The Driftless Region in WI, IA, MN, and IL (?) is an area that appears to have by missed by the glaciers and lacking the material.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:18 AM

onthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura about

lenh.......

Are the majority of those from Wisconsin?

That has be a little giddy, for sure!

That first picture is perfect. I like the size of the water (small, but not jump across size), the background, etc. The second photo reminds me of some of the Lake Michigan tribs I use to chase Steelhead in. Those are some very nice fish!

I guess chasing fish like that in the summer months, mixed in with Bass, Pike, Muskie and big pond flats style Carp fishing wouldn't be so bad. Then Fall comes and its 9 weights and streamers on the beaches and break walls for Kings and then Steelhead and Browns late in the year, along with bow hunting and waterfowl hunting.

That is exactly what I needed to see lenh.......thank you!
Old 11-11-2014, 10:34 AM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold

Len is from Wisconsin and very active on the net. You will want to do your homework on WI trout rules, seasons, private vs public water etc. They have a lot of fishing opportunities once you figure it all out. IA is open 365 and a lot of guys from MN and WI visit our better IA streams during winter. Decorah , IA area is one of the better spots.

And William has it right on the glacial drift. Numerous glaciers went around the area and spared it from becoming another cornfield.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:42 PM

lenh is a jewel in the roughlenh is a jewel in the roughlenh is a jewel in the rough

Portfolio Slideshow by StreamOfTime_photos | Photobucket
Old 11-11-2014, 03:37 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

You're not going to find the numbers of big fish in the "driftless" of MN, WI, and IA that you would in Montana or WY. It's as simple as that. But you need to look at the glass as half full in a situation like this.

From just about any town in SW Wisconsin, SE Minnesota, and far NE Iowa, you would be hard pressed to drive 15 minutes in any direction and NOT find a fishable trout stream. Usually you don't even need to go that far. Lots of wild brook and brown trout that are fun to fish on light tackle. Also, if you like the prospect of improving your casting to make precision casts in some extremely tight quarters, than you will love these small creeks. So pick yourself up a nice 3 weight, and start tying up some pink squirrels.
ia_trouter likes this.

Last edited by ted4887; 11-11-2014 at 04:57 PM.
Old 11-11-2014, 04:26 PM
Banned

itchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud of

Let's not forget that the driftless also adds tranquility... There's one weekend out of the year you gotta deal with the neoprene army... Then you can pretty much have a stream all to yourself any given day
ted4887, ontheflymn and ia_trouter like this.