The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By lenh
  • 1 Post By GrtLksMarlin
  • 2 Post By lenh

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2015, 09:29 AM

lenh is a jewel in the roughlenh is a jewel in the roughlenh is a jewel in the rough
Default Where Is The Alpha Trout In This Hole?

Click the image to open in full size.

Where and why?
ts47, weiliwen and wademaster like this.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:36 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where Is The Alpha Trout In This Hole?

Good one Lenh, thanks for posting.

Dave
Old 01-31-2015, 09:36 AM

smilingduck is just really nicesmilingduck is just really nicesmilingduck is just really nicesmilingduck is just really nice

He's long guy buddy that guy is standing in his living room. Try back next week hopefully that guy leaves his waders at home next time or better yet goes golfing!
Old 01-31-2015, 10:01 AM

lenh is a jewel in the roughlenh is a jewel in the roughlenh is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilingduck View Post
He's long guy buddy that guy is standing in his living room. Try back next week hopefully that guy leaves his waders at home next time or better yet goes golfing!
This was on a stretch you must wade because the land owner gives no one permission.

The distance between the angler and the upstream bank is much further than you see.

Wanted where you thought it was laying?
Old 01-31-2015, 10:10 AM

GrtLksMarlin is a splendid one to beholdGrtLksMarlin is a splendid one to beholdGrtLksMarlin is a splendid one to beholdGrtLksMarlin is a splendid one to beholdGrtLksMarlin is a splendid one to beholdGrtLksMarlin is a splendid one to beholdGrtLksMarlin is a splendid one to behold

In that Alpha pertains to smartest, Beta biggest/most aggressive, my guess would be under that ledge we can't see far bank, probably about perpendicular to the fisherman to keep out of strong currents.......and he probably stays there until nightfall to avoid predators.

So, I would fish a nymph or wet fly up from it and determine what line of water will drag it under that ledge right on his nose....He'll eat if he doesn't have to chase it and it has a little twitch to it making him want to hold on not just mouth it.

.....and in suck places, there is always a ledge or hole tucked back under.

B.E.F.
hokiehunter07 likes this.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:30 AM

moucheur2003 is a glorious beacon of lightmoucheur2003 is a glorious beacon of lightmoucheur2003 is a glorious beacon of lightmoucheur2003 is a glorious beacon of lightmoucheur2003 is a glorious beacon of light

Hunkered down among the rocks on the bottom in the deepest water in the lower left of the picture, next to the ledge cliff and under the overhanging bushes, for protective cover. (If the guy didn't already scare it away by wading too close.)
Old 01-31-2015, 10:44 AM

The guy rolled it but no hook up.

We gave it a rest and I came back at 5am 2 days later.

There is a deep crease all along the rock face.

Not a wide crease.

The spring floods come down a straight stretch above the hole.

It takes a 90.

The raging water slams in to the rock and caused the crease.

It is the deepest hole in the entire stretch.
GrtLksMarlin and smilingduck like this.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:47 AM

smilingduck is just really nicesmilingduck is just really nicesmilingduck is just really nicesmilingduck is just really nice

The water just seems so skinny that to get into that position an alpha predator will be alerted of the anglers presence. I'm sure smaller fish downstream will get spooked just getting to where he is but maybe not. With having to wade that makes it a lot more difficult.

I think one of the hardest things to learn in this sport is the art of wading. I know I scare fish often and can't seem to move slow enough. That'sone of my favorite things about fly fishing you are forced to forget your world and join in the real world of a trout!

I just wanted to say I enjoy your posts they force me to think about tactics which I enjoy !
Old 02-11-2015, 08:45 AM

jjack is on a distinguished road

Off the right bank, just past where the stream turns right, and just right of the main flow, so s/he can nip into the flow but rest just to the right of it.

Last edited by jjack; 02-17-2015 at 02:23 PM. Reason: m