The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2010, 05:48 PM

smallieman will become famous soon enoughsmallieman will become famous soon enough
Default Hickory Creek report

This morning I needed to get away and get some things off my mind. So I went down to the creek at my access. This morning was so peacefull. The amount of fish I seen was amazing. The size of the fish and the size of the creek are amazing. I seen schools of smallmouths the size of them were 16-19inches there were easy 20 fish or so in the school. I seen 2 sets of the schools at different areas in the creek. I was using my new 3wt fly rod with a 7x leader. I had 3 18inch smallmouths on but lost all 3. I am sure it was becuase I was using 2lb test. But I did jump it up to 1x leader but could not find the school. Most of the smallies were hitting streamers and beadheads. Here is a collection of fish and shots from the day so enjoy.
Click the image to open in full size.

Eating Crays

Old 08-25-2010, 09:18 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan
Default Re: Hickory Creek report

Smaieman, Looks like you had a great day...Nice report and pics...

Dan
Old 08-29-2010, 04:29 AM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

Smallieman,

Is that a propane or acetylene tank stuck in the river? You should let someone know where it is so it can be removed before the next flood carries it further downstream!
Old 04-30-2012, 10:22 AM

creekfisher is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Hickory Creek report

Smallieman,

You have great pictures also enjoyable seeing them here.

I to love to fish Hickory Creek too and have fished it now for several years. I have caught Rock Bass, dinky Smallmouth Bass, Creek chub, and now an unknown hybrid Chub of some kind, but I do not know what it is. I caught it on a Madame-X using a 5wt fly rod. I resembles a Pink and Black striped tiger fish with green, white, blue and orange/pink colors.

Last edited by creekfisher; 04-30-2012 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Gave a good comment about his pictures.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:11 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Great report! Looked like a beautiful day, FULL of wildlife and a total mess of species in many size! I really do like the small carp, but the colors on that small LMB are also very clear. I know everyone likes big fish, but small fish are just so great-looking! The SCUBA cylinder in the one photo is a classic random piece of river-trash...

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...