My fishing partner and I (both seriously overworked and underpaid) are contemplating a steelhead adventure in the next couple of months. Trail Creek in Michigan City, Indiana has come up as a possibility. We're both fully outfitted with Indiana license, stamps, etc., so no issues there. The thing is, we'll be leaving work around 7:00pm on a Friday, driving through the night to Michigan City and sleeping in the car once we get there (this is an "adventure", remember?), fishing most of the day Saturday, and then driving back home that evening.
The obvious challenges as we see them:
1. Fishing by the calendar instead of conditions
2. Totally unknown water
3. Neither of us have ever SEEN a steelhead
4. No known local resources of info
What we hope to accomplish:
1. Find a relatively safe area to wade
2. Actually see a steelhead (or five or a hundred)
3. Have a reasonable shot at CATCHING a steelhead
4. Take a ton of pictures
5. Return home safely
Just wondering if anyone here can chime in with some valuable hints to make this adventure successful?