The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2010, 10:10 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma
Default Re: Salmon River at 20,000 cfm;

I fished the SR for years in the past. 20,000 cfm is very unsafe. IF you do fish it, wear a PFD. Keep in mind this river is capable of killing. I recall a sign there that stated there were 12 deaths due to the river (and that was about 10 years ago). STAY CLOSE TO SHORE!!!
Old 10-02-2010, 11:15 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by okuma View Post
I fished the SR for years in the past. 20,000 cfm is very unsafe. IF you do fish it, wear a PFD. Keep in mind this river is capable of killing. I recall a sign there that stated there were 12 deaths due to the river (and that was about 10 years ago). STAY CLOSE TO SHORE!!!
Good point! For me it looks scary enough on the video Ard posted to not want to try fishing there at 20k!

Larry
Old 10-02-2010, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

When I used to fish up there we saw someone shooting the rapids in their waders every season. This would happen when the flow was around 6 - 700 and when the river was up with a few days rain there would be more than one each day. The Salmon is one of the slippery rivers. It was there that I saw my first set of Korker sandals with cleats in the 80s, I had felts and thought I was ready but after my first day there I was testing out the cleats. The sandals didn't cut it for me and I bought studded boots from an Orvis dealer.

It seems that every tail water I ever fished was slippery. I've never taken a ride on the rapids but I've been lucky that way.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;