The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2009, 01:05 PM

Ricky is on a distinguished road
Default New UK Member re Kenilworth, Chicago Area

Hello Guys

My son has recently moved with his family to Kenilworth and I visit them twice a year in May and October. I have checked on the Fishing in Illinois, boating, anglers and recreation activities for adults and kids on Illinois lakes, rivers, creeks and Lake Michigan. Web site and found four trout lakes near by. They are: Axehead, Belleau, Banana and Sand. I have never fished in the USA before and therefore would like some advise please. I have the Web site for obtaining my licence.:

- Do I have to obtain permission from the owners of the lakes to fish there?
- Do I need to buy a day ticket?
- Are these lakes good for trout fishing?
- Is my 9ft, 5 Wt Orvis Clearwater rod appropriate for these locations?
- What flies would you suggest, dry and wet?

If there is anything else you think might help me, please let me know.

Many thans in advance for your help.

Cheers

Ricky
Old 02-23-2009, 01:57 PM

aftershock is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New UK Member re Kenilworth, Chicago Area

i don't know where kenilworth is but as far as trout fishing in illinois is not worth it... crowds of ppl make it impopssible to fish....they are stocked and you need a il liceance and trout stamp to fish for them....i think you would be better off fishing for someting other then trout... or go to indiana
Old 02-23-2009, 04:08 PM

MikeG will become famous soon enough

Hey Ricky, I understand where you are coming from. I have friends from the UK actually I know the guy who runs completefisher fly fishing forum. In IL all lakes that contain trout are public property. They are actuallly own by the State governments. A few lakes may be private. Here in IL we very few large private lakes to say the least. So no you would not need to ask for permission like you would in UK. Also kenilworth, IL is on the far North Suburbs of Chicago. I live on the west suburbs all the lakes by me that are stocked with trout are fished out after the first week the trout season opens up. IL is not known for trout fishing. Depending how long you are in town visiting your son it would be worth it to head up to the Driftless area in Wisconsin. By far the best trout fishing in the Midwest. If your sons fishes, then make a Father and Son trip of it.

There is no such thing as a day ticket it IL. The way a license works is you pay a lump some for either a full year, a month, a week, or by the day.

When you are in Chicago go to this store Chicago Fly Fishing Outfitters Online Store - Welcome and check them out. They will be able to tell you anything you want to know about trout fishing in the midwest.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:59 PM

Ricky is on a distinguished road

Hi Mike

Thanks a lot for that. Now I'm really disapointed. Son doesn't fish, I just thought I'd creep away for the odd half day. Sounds like that won't do it. How about Gibson Park river outlet on Lake Michigan?

Cheers

John
Old 02-23-2009, 08:47 PM

Midwest flyfish kid will become famous soon enough

Illinois does not have very much trout fishing. There is landlocked salmon in Lake Michigan. Could you go to Indiana, Wisconsin, or Michigan? I think you would have a bigger selection of places to go.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:50 PM

MikeG will become famous soon enough

Ricky,

If you are interested you could drive up to Wisconsin and fish for steelhead depending on what time of the year you go. They are not trout and you will need a 7wt or a 8wt but they sure are fun. You got an hour drive at the most to reach some pretty good Michigan tribs in Southeast Wisconsin.