The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2010, 07:05 PM

2PawsRiver will become famous soon enough
Default Coasters on the Canada side of Superior

Was thinking about heading up to the Canada side of Superior to do some backpacking and fishing......just starting to research and thought I would see if anybody here had any experience in the area.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:36 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coasters on the Canada side of Superior

I have fished the North Shore of Superior from Duluth at the Lester River to the Knife River. I personally have never seen a Coaster Brookie yet, but they are starting to make a comeback of sorts. I think your best shot at one is farther up than the Knife at Two Harbors. If you are going in the near future your access to open water may be sorta limited. I have tried this in the winter before and it was a miserable deal. You do catch fish though sometimes. If you don't mind freezing your butt off. I used to do it more a few years back during the best years for Loopers. Now you have a better shot at a Steelhead than back then, but the Loopers are not doing nearly as well. I was just down there a couple of weeks ago and the Lake froze clear over. An ore freighter had plowed a path out and it froze back over in almost all of it. The few open spots left made steam columns that rose and then blew sideways across the lake. I wish I had taken a photo. This is a photo of a Looper that I caught in February a few years back. I lost a bigger one than this when my buddy that was landing it slipped on the ice on the rocks at the shore and dropped it back in the water. It was an easy 10 pound fish. I took my spey rod down there last winter and there is no such thing as thick enough waders for that.
Click the image to open in full size.
" The coldest winter I ever saw was the summer I spent in Duluth." Mark Twain
Old 12-31-2010, 09:47 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Though I've not fished it a good friend of mine raves about the Upper Nipigon River. Big beauties but tough fishing. A boat is a big asset up there so I'm told.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:01 PM

2PawsRiver will become famous soon enough

Thanks guys, should have clarified I am thinking of heading that way in the spring, I'm old and not quite that hardcore......nice picture.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:25 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
Though I've not fished it a good friend of mine raves about the Upper Nipigon River. Big beauties but tough fishing. A boat is a big asset up there so I'm told.
I am not positive on this one, but I believe the Brook Trout in the Nipigon and Coaster Brook Trout are two completely different strains of fish. I am pretty sure that Coasters are fish that spend their whole life along the "Coast" of Lake Superior. The Brook Trout in Nipigon are huge though. If you are looking for just a big Brookie for the photo album, Nipigon is by far the odds on best bet. Coasters while they are making a comeback are far from common. The reason I mentioned Two Harbors, is they spawn in the area, so you can get them staging or post spawn, and they tend to hang around that part of the lake anyway.

Hey it's only a bit of cold. Blue fingers thaw back out.