The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2009, 01:14 PM

smallieman will become famous soon enoughsmallieman will become famous soon enough
Default Aux Sable Creek, MORRIS IL

OK.. I cant find any info about this creek all I know is that the state rock bass record was caught there in 1987. I want to hit this up wade style and fly style. I want to know if I have any takers... PM me if you want to go . But I need to know if anyone has been there. Today I was bored and went for a ride There was a guy there using floats with a roach on it and had a stringer of Walleyes.. Aux sable emptys into the IL River near Morris so talking to a guy there he was telling me he has caught PIKE, Crappie, LG and Smallmouth, and Rock Bass., and Carp. Apparently the more north you go its more of a run off for farms anything north or I80. He was telling me when the IL river is high the fish move in and then when it gets low the fish get stuck in the creek. I have only fished this a few time north of 80 and only got a few rock bass. The guy also was telling me about a cemetery down the road where its haunted. When fishing he says at night you hear crying and people running in the woods, so on that note I want to go with someone.. lol... but here are some pictures I took today. I know the creek was high but looks like a great fly rod area. Also never seen an aqueduct before it was neat.

Click the image to open in full size.

unkown feeder creek to Aux sable creek

same creek entering Aux Sable

Aqueduct I&M canal goes over Aux Sable Creek

Aux Sable Creek Heading south toward IL river

Aux Sable Creek Heading north

Aux Sable Creek

Aux Sable Creek near bridge

Here is some sites I found about the creek

Aux Sable Creek

DNR

From a message board I found
The creek dumps into the Illionis river in Morris, Ill. This is a great creek to fish. It's slow moving and easy to canoe. There are smallmouth but they are not thick and most are small. The Aux Sable gave up the largest Rock bass I have ever caught. It went just under 4 lbs. I later found that fish,if I had brought to certified scales,would have set the state record. I caught it on a nightcrawler under the old bridge on Lorenzo road. It is in the bend of the road about 3 miles up towards Morris from Heidike Lake. I love this creek, but it floods very easily and takes weeks to recover. I have caught several large Carp and a few good cats(Flathead & Channel). I have gone back several times to attempt to re-catch my lost Rock bass but have not been able to come close to the size. On a side note, be very carefull of the vegation around the creek, I got a horrible dose of Poison Oak that I must of had wack me in the face. I ended up in the emergency room with poison oak in my lungs. I was not able to breath well for over a week, and my face swelled like the Elefant mans. I know this is a long entry, But the Aux deserves full credit for being a great little creek.
Practice CPR and our children will be able to agree in a few years!
Old 04-17-2009, 09:00 AM

dryflywaters will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Aux Sable Creek, MORRIS IL

I love to fish waters that hold many types of fish. You never know what you will hook into. The Au Sauble in Michigan has big water toward the eastern end of it run that holds rainbow, browns, smallmouth, pike, walleye, largemouth and carp. I had one early summer night that I caught rainbow, smallmouth, rock bass and one walleye.

It was great!!
http://dryflywaters.com/