The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Great Lakes Region (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/great-lakes-region/)
-   -   most fished river (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/great-lakes-region/90495-most-fished-river.html)

araitim 01-06-2011 08:37 PM

most fished river

i see posts about "favorite rivers" and things of the like. we all have a favorite place to fish but dont get to fish there enough. my question is what is the body of water you fish most?

for me, its The Grand river in Lansing Michigan above the Moores river damn.

nerka 01-07-2011 01:34 AM

Re: most fished river

This season I was lucky enough to spend 29 fishing days on one of my three favorite rivers. The Newhalen is nothing short of amazing.

HuronRiverDan 01-07-2011 09:17 AM

Living in Southeast MI, the bulk of my summer fishing is for SMB. I spend lots of quality time on the Raisin River chasng them and the occasional Carp...:)

Dan

Hardyreels 01-07-2011 03:28 PM

Hi araitim,

I really should pass this thread and not make a post but I couldn't do that, so................

Before I tell you that I'll never tell, I'll tell you this. My favorite river (maybe not where I go the most, but) is Ship Creek in Downtown Anchorage Alaska. Ship gets King Salmon and also has more people fishing than there are fish in the water. Once you learn the ropes you can catch nice bright salmon without spending many an hour driving or flying to a place to fish. Telling someone that they can find fish in Ship Creek is like telling them they can find frozen pizzas' at Safeway.

I'm the kind of fellow who spends as much time searching for places where I can avoid being crowded as I do fishing. Where I fish crowding can mean just one other boat coming into the mouth of a creek that I have driven my river boat as far as 100 miles to reach. I have a favorite river or creek in a lot of places but they didn't get to be favorites because I get skunked every time I go there. Something I learned as a little kid was that telling people you know a good place was a sure way to find them there on your next trip and they usually bring friends. If you have read any posts from me on this forum then you know I have things to say but making an announcement about where I fish the most would happen right after the water boarding sessions, maybe. :lol2:

I had to say it,

Ard

Guest1 01-07-2011 04:28 PM

The Rainy River on the MN / Ontario border. It's my favorite because I can consistantly catch what would be called a trophy fish almost anywhere else. Not only that but a number of different species at that. Big Walleye, Pike, Smallies, Sturgeon (and yes I figured out how to do that with a fly rod), Mooneye, Perch, and more. How many places do you know of where you can go on almost any day and get a truly big fish? The winters are terrible, there are more bugs than anyplace should ever have, and other than fishing and drinking, there's more activities in prison than here ( or so I'm told ). I get a little unsure if it is woth living here in winter, but the fishing is pretty much unbeatable.

araitim 01-07-2011 04:35 PM

for me, i dont fish The Grand river the most because its not crowded or because i catch a ton of fish. i fish The Grand river because its in my back yard. its really easy to get home from work and just walk out the back door. im not trying to get anyones secret fishing hole, im just currious where people go when they dont hike 100 miles to get to a hidden treasure.

Hardyreels 01-07-2011 08:01 PM

Tim,

Please don't take any offense to what I said. I just don't talk on the where side of things aside from maybe what state I am in. The last thing I want is for you to feel badly about something I have said. We need you here and I meant no disrespect.

Ard

araitim 01-08-2011 11:24 AM

hey Ard, the friends i hang out with are into body modification and flesh suspension and could care less about fishing so when i tell them about a fantastic fishing spot that i found they tune me out. i don't have fishing buddies and don't know all the proper edict when talking about fishing. it never occurred to me when i posted the original post that it might be received different than what i intended. i apologise for being coarse. :o

fredaevans 01-08-2011 03:30 PM

Pretty easy call for me: The Rogue River here in Southern Oregon for just all-round fishing. Resident trout (Rainbow and Cutt's), three (separate) runs of Pacific Salmon and 2.5 separate runs of Steelhead.

We have Spring and Fall runs of King Salmon, Fall run Coho, Summer run Steelhead (actually two different groups of fish) as well as Winter run Steelhead.

Add to this a very small population base (spread over 60 miles of the upper river) and you've got a lot of 'elbow room.' Or for me, a 5-8 minute drive to good water ...... :D

For shear fun and games (beauty and fish) I'd have to give actually give the nod to the Fly only water of the North Umpqua or the lower Deschutes.

fae

webrx 01-09-2011 09:35 AM

You all know this, but my favorite and most often fished here in Nevada is the Truckee (toughee) River. What I love about it is I live 20 minutes from the water, you can go from pan size rainbow to monster browns on any cast. Teh river covers about 120 miles (Tahoe to Pyramid) there are technical spots, easy spots, accessible spots, 4wd and hike in spots, trophy spots, and lots of spots where if you 4wd or hike a little you won't see another angler even on "open" fishing day. Oh yeah, and this time of year, even the most accessible spots are pretty much wide open, cause there are only a few of us winter fly fishing nuts around :)

Dave