The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2011, 04:21 PM

mack_s is on a distinguished road
Default August 2011 Trip Planning.

Hi all-

I'll be visiting the midwest this August, doing a loop starting from Southeastern Michigan (Detroit area), traveling to Mt Rushmore to see the sights for a day or two, heading up through Minnesota to visit some friends for a day or two, then driving up through Wisconsin and into the UP of Michigan, and finally heading south back to the start. I'll be bringing my fly fishing gear and want to stop and do some fly fishing here and there. I'm figuring on starting the drive on a Saturday morning and returning on the folling Saturday evening, 8 days total. I'm guessing that the first 3-4 days will be just sightseeing so that will limit my time futher. Since I've never done this loop, I'm looking for some advice/guidence from those in the areas I'll be driving through...

A disclaimer...Size and quantity of fish are unimportant, sceenery is, I'd like to get a wilderness type experience...meaning little to no crowds. Combat fishing is not my thing and I will gladly pass. I understand the rivers I've selected are popular since I found them on the net and they're prime waters, but I'm hoping durring mid week it'll keep the crowds down. Here in my local area (Los Angeles California), I'm used to crowds and catching small fish in the 6" - 8" range, and having to work extramly hard for them.

For Minnesota:
Are there any great creek/rivers/streams that I shouldn't pass up and take a couple of hours to fling sime flies??

For Wisconsin:
Same question, are there any great creek/rivers/streams that I shouldn't pass up and take a couple of hours to fling sime flies??

For Michigan fishing:
What I have in mind so far is I'd like to spend 2 days fishing the Brule River, Cooks Run, Iron River, and Paint River in Iron County in the UP. Is that enough time to get a good taste of those rivers?? Depending on time, as we head south, I'd also like to hit Little Manistee River, Manistee River, Pine River, Baldwin Creek, and the Pere Marquette River for a couple of days in western Michigan. Am I going to have enough enough time to get a good taste of those rivers or shou I just pass and hit them another time?? I've already fished the PM, but it was probably 15 years ago and would just like to hit it again.

So with the limited amount of time for the trip, what would you do?? Just stick to fishing the Michigan rivers in the UP and hitting a creek/river/stream on the way through Minnesota and Wisconsin?? Something completely different??

Also, if there are any specific or local fly patterns I should tie up, it would be great to know what to bring along.

Any help you all can provide would be great!! Thanks in advance!!

-Mack
Old 01-19-2011, 01:20 AM

pryal74 has a spectacular aura aboutpryal74 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: August 2011 Trip Planning.

@ mack_s, the Cooks Run gets fished heavily and in my opinion it's over fished and over rated. I'm sure in it's hayday it was something special. There are fish there, but few and far between and with little size. The same with the Paint in alot of places. As far as the Iron, that may be your best bet. If you do hit the Iron, go off the beaten path as much as you can. I can't go into details but you will find some of the best looking Brook Trout in all of the U.S. I fished it this summer late but was restricted because of clients, we did very well with some nice fish but the real trophies lie in places harder to get to.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:46 AM

James-

Thanks for the info!! Just what I needed to know. How's the public access to the Iron?? It'll be my first time there and I have no idea of the lay of the land. Are there designated parking spots or can you just pull off the road at a likely spot?? Also, are there any special 'local' patterns that I should tie up for the area?? Again, thanks very much for the info.

-Mack
Old 01-19-2011, 12:29 PM

pryal74 has a spectacular aura aboutpryal74 has a spectacular aura about

The Iron runs right through Iron River (the town) but I would suggest find a tributary that runs into it or going far upstream somewhere away from fishing pressure. Personally I like a small minnow pattern.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:58 PM

James-

Thanks for the additional info!!

-Mack
Old 01-19-2011, 03:45 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Mack,

You know it really seems way too ambitious to me. Is there some flying involved or are you driving the whole trip? It sounds more like a site seeing/visiting trip instead of a fishing trip and I guess that is what you told us.

If I understand Michigan correctly you are going to spend two days fishing the Brule River, Cooks Run, Iron River, and Paint River in Iron County in the UP. Then you are going to spend two more days fishing the Little Manistee River, Manistee River, Pine River, Baldwin Creek, and the Pere Marquette River. I am sorry Mack, but I just don't think your schedule is reasonable. By the time you figure out what flies to use and were to go and were to park, you will be lucky to fish two or three of these rivers. Its your trip but I would zero in on one or two good rivers and explore them.

I am not saying you can't visit all of these rivers. I just think you don't have time to fish them and really enjoy the waters that Michigan has to offer.

Frank
Old 01-19-2011, 04:19 PM

Frank-

You are correct in that it is partially a sightseeing trip with trying to get as much fishing in as possible. I know, a difficult task to say the least. I knew that I was being overly ambitious with all the rivers listed, but I had to start somewhere. And that is why I'm planning now and soliciting everyones input and advice so as to be prepared with realistic expectations for the trip.

So far James has chimed in with advice to fish the Iron and pass on the other rivers in the area. Being that he guides in the area and has first hand knowlegde, I'll keep that in mind when making my final descisions for the trip.
Hopefully more people will chime in like James and yourself did and offer advice to help me narrow down the selections to have a memorable trip.

So if it was your trip with the 4 days (2 in the UP and 2 in the LP), which rivers would you select to fish??

Thanks!!
-Mack
Old 01-19-2011, 04:55 PM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

Mack,

Like all the others have mention you will find some beautiful fishing in the U.P. but when you make your way to the lower section of Michigan you need to spend some time or at least stop at the famous Au Sable River, Home of Rusty Gates, he was consider a legend within the community, state and the nation. But one note, watch out for all the canoes that time of year

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 01-20-2011, 07:53 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack_s View Post
Hi all-

I'll be visiting the midwest this August, doing a loop starting from Southeastern Michigan (Detroit area), traveling to Mt Rushmore to see the sights for a day or two, heading up through Minnesota to visit some friends for a day or two, then driving up through Wisconsin and into the UP of Michigan, and finally heading south back to the start. I'll be bringing my fly fishing gear and want to stop and do some fly fishing here and there. I'm figuring on starting the drive on a Saturday morning and returning on the folling Saturday evening, 8 days total. I'm guessing that the first 3-4 days will be just sightseeing so that will limit my time futher. Since I've never done this loop, I'm looking for some advice/guidence from those in the areas I'll be driving through...

-Mack
Mack,
I agree with Frank, you are being a little over ambitious on your plan. I live in SE MI, and you mention Mt Rushmore as part of your trip; that's going to be two days for you unless you plan an driving straight through.
I can't help on the MN or WS options, for the UP, James gave you some great advice. For the lower peninsula the streams you listed can all be great fishing destinations, but not in your time frame; there's just too much water.
If you're looking for uncrowded fishing, there are better options; feel free to PM me.
Dan
Old 01-20-2011, 09:46 AM

Thanks for the input guys!! That's just what I'm looking for...getting pointed in the right direction.

Thanks!!
-Mack

---------- Post added at 09:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 AM ----------

I just discovered that I am unable to send PM's untill I reach a post count of 15.

So for those that have sent me a PM, thanks!! And I'm NOT ignoring you, I just can't send a reply yet...

And for those that offered additional assistance via PM, I'm going to have to wait untill I reach the magic number to contact you...

Hopefully I'll reach the magic number soon.

-Mack