The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pryal74

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2011, 04:43 AM

pryal74 has a spectacular aura aboutpryal74 has a spectacular aura about
Default Upper Peninsula Brook Trout fishing 2010

Brook Trout fishing in 2010 was phenomenal. I had one of my best trips on 09-05-10, that I have had in a long while. I managed to land the two biggest Brook Trout I have ever caught. The female was 17" and I caught a male earlier in the day that was 16" he was much heavier (he was a tie for my biggest). I posted the links to the photos below. The water was cold and I had to wear waders for the first time all year. I like the freedom of not wearing them, besides when it's hot I like the feel of a cool trout stream. Anyway, I hope you all had a great year trout fishing!
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by pryal74; 02-02-2012 at 11:07 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:06 PM

flytyer56 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Upper Peninsula Brook Trout fishing 2010

Those are a couple nice brookies James
Then You're The One!!!!!
Old 01-18-2011, 10:14 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

AWESOME!!! I am a brook trout chaser myself, but most of mine is done in PA. My biggest was last year was caught on the Ausable in MI; 12" during the hennie hatch. I am envious of you who live closer to the UP brookies. I plan on going back this summer to the UP, but having only been there once I need some advice. The only place I have fished was the Yellow Dog, we stayed 3 days and never explored anything because the fishing was so great. We ended up catching 40 or so brookies under the "yellow dog bridge"
(at least thats what the others called) during an evening hatch. A rise at every cast; it was absolutely amazing. I would like to have another experience like that, good water and alot of fish. Sorry but I just cant afford to pay for guided trips or I would look you up, but I would take any advice you are willing to give as to where to go.

We got out of the car at the FOX and the east branch of the Tehquamenon but were devoured by swarms of misquitos! We left for higher ground and found alot less misquitos near Big Bay!
Old 01-19-2011, 01:45 AM

@ flytyer56, thanks. I was absolutely beside myself that day. I fished for 9 hours or more and caught more Brook Trout than I could count. It's hard using an expensive digital camera and fishing at the same time. I should have took more pictures that day.

@ Ausablebrown, thanks. I can offer you some good advice. Next time, stray away from the beaten path. Honestly. I use my atlas ALOT and find roads near places I know fish are, then walk until I hit water. Sometimes it's alot closer and easier to get to than you think. People think I'm crazy for hiking for hours sometimes, but as you can see, this is how you find beautiful water and gorgeous trout.
rockriver likes this.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:39 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

I have made some of those 2 mile hikes through tick infested brush in PA. But Ill never forget the single 6" brookie that came out of "cherry run". Sometimes you just strap the 4pc to your back and head north with a machete!
Old 01-20-2011, 01:02 AM

I hear you. I love to hit a stream I never fished before, good or bad. The experience is what makes it worth it.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:48 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

James: Congrats on the great looking Brookies, those fish are just gorgeous looking!

Larry

Old 01-22-2011, 10:47 AM

Thanks alot! I will have so many more this coming season, that's for sure.