The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2011, 03:33 PM
LenHarris

Default 2 Different Types Of Brown Trout In Driftless Area

Brown trout in driftless area streams have two separate blood lines. Most people that think of browns they think of German Browns right away. There was another type of brown brought across. It is called the Lock Leven brown. Lock Leven means "Lock Eleven" and is a brown of Scottish heritage. Both trout species were brought over in the holds of ships by early settlers.

The way to tell the 2 breeds apart before they became intermingle was the different spot patterns. German browns typically have reds spots intermingled with the other spots. Loch Leven browns have no red spot. The real way to tell them apart definitely is to look to see if they are wearing leder hosen or kilts

Click the image to open in full size.
Brown trout with "German" heritage.

Click the image to open in full size.
Brown trout with "Scottish" heritage.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:46 PM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all
Default Re: 2 Different Types Of Brown Trout In Driftless Area

In my experiences, trout that spend most of their time in stained water are darker and have fewer/no red spots. Does that mean that the Lock Levens are more tolerant of silt? Or does their diet/environment affect their spot patterns. Or am I just off base? I haven't caught a significant sample size of trout.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:53 AM
LenHarris

not sure on that one.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:03 AM

pryal74 has a spectacular aura aboutpryal74 has a spectacular aura about

Brown Trout that have red spots are said to be "wild" Trout. Planted trout are said to not show these reddish marks, until having been living in their environment for quite some time, if the reddish marks show at all. Also, some wild browns have a blueish hue on there cheek. This is also supposed be a sign of a wild trout and not a planter. I am not sure exactly why these marks occur, it's only what I have heard.

We have naturally occuring/reproducing Browns here in streams and rivers where I fish, but I am sure we have only German Browns. I have not witnessed any Scottish ones. These German ones grow to over 2 feet long on our section of river. These of course are not lake run Brown Trout, only stream fish. Our lake run Browns can get gigantic. Personally my best 2 were both over 15 pounds. My brother has one mounted that is 19 pounds. The Michigan state record (and possible world record) was just set recently with a monstrous brown of 41.7 pounds on the Big Manistee downstate.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:43 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

I have a question for yall, if there are any trout experts who can answer. I will try to figure out how to upload pictures soon so I can demonstrate what I am asking about. I have caught brown trout in such a wide array of colors that I am often trying to decipher what the heck kind of trout it actually is. The particular stream I fish most in PA has wild, naturally reproducing German browns. These are easily recognizable. Very bright red spots, dark black spots spaced out on dark green backdrop. However, the trout that I sometimes catch look nothing like either of the two pictured in the first post to the thread. They are very white/silver and do not show really distinguishable dark spots. There are generally so many spots that they blur together into a mish-mash of silver/light black all the way down the fish's side and top. Sometimes looking like there are X's up and down the fish's side. The difference is drastic from the same river. Are these two varieties, or one variety some wild some stocked?
Old 01-24-2011, 10:10 PM

I post my pictures on photobucket then use the link address inbetween [img][/img] and I can surely tell you what kind of Trout they are. Also, there ARE different kinds of Brown Trout. The kinds that I am semi familiar with are Wild Rose, Gilchrist Creek and Seeforellen. The Seeforellen is the BIG lake strain that grow really fast and large. I'm not so certain on the other two.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:04 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Well then, this is getting more complicated that I had anticipated...

---------- Post added at 08:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 AM ----------

Trout Variety - Marbled Trout, Gillaroos, Sonaghen, Leven etc.
There is a vast variety of strains of brown trout. These are best seen in isolated lochs and lakes. Perhaps the most famous morphs (from Ireland) are the Gillaroo, which is rich in colour, deeply speckled and well built, and the Sonaghen which is bright, bluish and lightly speckled. The former lives around the margins feeding on larger insects while the latter feeds on plankton in the open water. The differences are clearly an adaptation to local environment. Here in Scotland we have our own varieties. The most famous is the Loch Leven trout. These are bright silvery fish with few red spots. Many Leven trout were used to stock Scottish rivers and their native strains submerged. The typical Tay trout is said to have a very buttery yellow belly and a lot of red spots.

I did however find a picture of an exact representation of the two varieties of trout that I am catching in my favorite creek; they are both pictured on this page:

Fishing Wisconsin - Wisconsin Fish: Identifying Brown Trout - WDNR
Old 01-25-2011, 02:51 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Maybe I can help

Normal europian brown trout that lives in rivers have red spots.If you put same river trout in lake,after while that red spots shall turn black,and stay black

---------- Post added at 01:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 PM ----------

One more thing,dont mix Marbled Trout (or softmouth trout) with browns.They dont have that much in common exept same habitat and ancestor
Old 01-26-2011, 01:19 AM

@ ausablebrown, the two you posted from the DNR site are the german and the seeforellen. Yeah in europe they have different strains.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:25 PM

driftlessman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pryal74 View Post
Brown Trout that have red spots are said to be "wild" Trout. Planted trout are said to not show these reddish marks, until having been living in their environment for quite some time, if the reddish marks show at all. Also, some wild browns have a blueish hue on there cheek. This is also supposed be a sign of a wild trout and not a planter. I am not sure exactly why these marks occur, it's only what I have heard.

We have naturally occuring/reproducing Browns here in streams and rivers where I fish, but I am sure we have only German Browns. I have not witnessed any Scottish ones. These German ones grow to over 2 feet long on our section of river. These of course are not lake run Brown Trout, only stream fish. Our lake run Browns can get gigantic. Personally my best 2 were both over 15 pounds. My brother has one mounted that is 19 pounds. The Michigan state record (and possible world record) was just set recently with a monstrous brown of 41.7 pounds on the Big Manistee downstate.
I have heard that the "bear claw" markings, determine this. This whole thread is real interesting!