Deep Woods Off *40*

LenHarris

Reaction score
I typically use 29 but 40 was all that they had so I bought some.
The skitoes were terrible. The 29 worked well so I thought the
40 would be better.

***WARNING***

40 is too strong.

On friday I put some where I typically do. On my cheeks and on the back of
my neck. It stung all day but I ignored it. Friday night i had huge blotches on my face and neck where I put it and it still burned.

On saturday I smartened up and put it only on my hat and on my clothing on my shoulders. I developed breathing problems later in the day. This stuff is just too dang strong. I took my cap off on the way back to the car so I could breath.

axle27

Reaction score
What is worse, they make one that is 100% Deet. That stuff is nasty, although I've been in places that I was damn glad I had it.

Reaction score
We have a few "skeeters" down here in Texas as well. I won't go on about how big they are. So, what is the best bug spray? Does anyone use the "Buzz-Off" clothing? It's expensive for sure. We have organic garden and yard, so I obviously like to avoid chemicals, but I also like to avoid mosquito spread diseases. Any organic solutions out there?

HuronRiverDan

Reaction score
There is some organic available...Cactus Juice was one of them...It needs to be reapplied more often but it works...

The Deep Woods Off is also a hazard to your fly line if you get it on the line.

Dan

jimw

Reaction score
I will second the cactus juice!! you can get it in a spray or mixed with sunblock all natural and smells like an orange.

BigCliff

Reaction score
Deet is toxic. It works and generally won't kill ya, but its toxic.

I like this stuff quite well, and have been personally assured by the owner of the co that it won't damage fly lines. Insect Repellent : SmartShield

The buzz-off clothing is treated with permethrin which is effective, safe and green enough to where pest control companies are now using it and marketing as a "green" solution. (learned of this when recently we found a scorpion inside the house my 8mo old daughter crawls around)

That said, last I knew permethrin wasn't approved for contact on skin by the FDA. (It has however been used on skin by the military for years, but apparently ok for them and approved for the rest of us is totally different)

sophijo

Reaction score
Re: Deep Woods Off *40* attacks brain

You're just going to have to decide what's more important; your cognitive ability or fishing!

axle27

Reaction score
Managed to get out of work early and went fishing for a bit...don't ask.

Anyways, I was in need of some repellent for the little flying/crawling vermin when I ran across this at Wally World (Walmart for the uninitiated):

HOMS Bite Blocker Xtreme Sportsman Insect Repellent - Organic

www.homs.com

Ingredients:

3% Soy Bean Oil
6% Geranium Oil
8% Caster Oil

Inert Ingredients: Purified Water, Coconut Oil, Glycerin, Lecithin, Wintergreen Oil, Citric Acid, Sodium Bicarbonate & Benzoic Acid

Stuff smell pretty good and is supposed to keep the creepy crawlies away for up to 8 hours. Advertised as Sweatproof and Waterproof. Got an extra bottle for the family....can't have the brood kyping my fishing stash....

axle27

Reaction score
I don't recall any bugs flying around or crawling on me (except one stupid fly that was just too damn dumb for his own good.)

HOWEVER, I was in hip waders and there was a slight breeze so the little blood suckers probably didn't have much of chance to pester me.

I will use it again this weekend and keep ya posted.

I look at it like this: I've wasted $5.88 for dumber stuff than this...if it doesn't work, lesson learned....I wish all lessons were that cheap...

Fly2Fish

Reaction score
After having Off-brand Deet repellent melt some PVC plastic patio chairs when I rested my arms on them, I did some research. Consumers Reports is probably the most reliable testing service on such things if they test them. From my research there, the non-Deet alternatives they tested sorted out, in order of effectiveness, to be:

1 - 15% Picaridin (not 7%) solution, found most frequently in Cutter Advanced products (Advanced in the name is critical, as their other Picaridin products only contain a 7% solution - relatively ineffective). They specifically advertise that Picaridin won't harm plastic products.

2 -Repel, a Eucalyptus-based repellent, judged effective but to a lesser degree and length than the 15% Picaridin-based formulas.

While I haven't tested the Repel products yet, the 15% Picaridin Cutter Advanced repellent has worked fine here in the Gulf Coast.

I should mention that Consumer Reports were only mildly positive on the Permethrin-based spray products for treating clothing.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
What is worse, they make one that is 100% Deet. That stuff is nasty, although I've been in places that I was damn glad I had it.
When we lived in Alaska, we used 100% Deet, especially during a summer where you were getting a lot of rain, the skeeters were REALLY thick, but some people are allergic to it. During the summer I used to go out to the bow range to practice, basically it was a set of targets setup in the deep woods to simulate hunting situations. Once you would get out of the car you would be over come with skeeters, they would number in the hundreds flying around your head looking for a place to land. The 100% Deet worked like a charm but it is so strong if you leave any on your palms it will take the paint right off the bow so you had to be really careful.

Larry

BigCliff

Reaction score
When we lived in Alaska, we used 100% Deet, especially during a summer where you were getting a lot of rain, the skeeters were REALLY thick, but some people are allergic to it. During the summer I used to go out to the bow range to practice, basically it was a set of targets setup in the deep woods to simulate hunting situations. Once you would get out of the car you would be over come with skeeters, they would number in the hundreds flying around your head looking for a place to land. The 100% Deet worked like a charm but it is so strong if you leave any on your palms it will take the paint right off the bow so you had to be really careful.

Larry
DEET also will dissolve the waterproof breathable membrane in non-Gore-Tex waders. It will not dissolve Gore-Tex

axle27

Reaction score
Update:

I used the Organic stuff again yesterday. While I had a few curious gnats at times, it seemed to work pretty good. Again, there was some gusting winds, so I'll try it when it is more calm and a better chance for the little flying blood suckers to be out.

Creek Freak

Reaction score
Managed to get out of work early and went fishing for a bit...don't ask.

Anyways, I was in need of some repellent for the little flying/crawling vermin when I ran across this at Wally World (Walmart for the uninitiated):

HOMS Bite Blocker Xtreme Sportsman Insect Repellent - Organic

www.homs.com

Ingredients:

3% Soy Bean Oil
6% Geranium Oil
8% Caster Oil

Inert Ingredients: Purified Water, Coconut Oil, Glycerin, Lecithin, Wintergreen Oil, Citric Acid, Sodium Bicarbonate & Benzoic Acid

Stuff smell pretty good and is supposed to keep the creepy crawlies away for up to 8 hours. Advertised as Sweatproof and Waterproof. Got an extra bottle for the family....can't have the brood kyping my fishing stash....

Wow and an added bonus of this one is if you feel a littel over stuffed it may loosen you up a tad with that Castor oil in there.

Now seriously I appreciate the tip I will look for some of this stuff at the local Wally World, as I plan to head out this weekend.

FISHN50

Reaction score
Up in Maine when the Blackflies are out & biting Ben's 100% Deet works well. Deep woods off will only last a little while & I think Skin so Soft attracks them... I picked up one of those Bug off hats @ LL Bean last year & it seemed to just keep the mosquitos away, but the blackflies just crawled all over it.
I usually spray the repellant on a paper towel in a ziplock bag & rub it on me instead of spraying it on. I keep a pre sprayed towel in a plastic bag in my vest to reapply it when it wears off. It will definetaly do a job on plastic watches, sunglasses, flyline & the like. It will do a job on your car paint if you spray too close to it

Steelhead Junkie

Reaction score
Ingredients:

3% Soy Bean Oil
6% Geranium Oil
8% Caster Oil

Inert Ingredients: Purified Water, Coconut Oil, Glycerin, Lecithin, Wintergreen Oil, Citric Acid, Sodium Bicarbonate & Benzoic AcidQUOTE]
WHOA!!!! Thats enough to keep A__N_Y_T__H_I_N_G away.LOL;);)