The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Guides and outfittters offering tuition and guiding services (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/guides-outfittters-offering-tuition-guiding-services/)
-   -   Guiding the best of South Patagonia (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/guides-outfittters-offering-tuition-guiding-services/323571-guiding-best-south-patagonia.html)

patagoniaaustralff 06-28-2013 05:34 PM

Guiding the best of South Patagonia

My name is Juan Manuel, IŽm a fly fishing guide from South Patagonia in this post i want to show you an amazing place that still has not been developed as a fishing destination!!

King of Glaciers

A new destination in South Patagonia you can not miss, after fishing this incredible spot for the last 4 years I want to share this place with every angler of the world. This short description is just the introduction for the video. IŽll be sharing with you some reports and good photos i have taken the last seasons.

The King Salmon has arrived to Southern Patagonic waters some years ago. In this lonely place of the Andes they have developed a numerous population that grows every year due to the really low fishing pressure and not having many predators above them. Every year the Chinook goes upriver from the Atlantic Sea, crossing the whole Santa Cruz river and then the Argentinian Lake (the biggest in the country) to arrive to the Caterina waters inside of the Cristina Estancia. This river has 7km of length from its beginning in the Anita Lake to the mouth on the Argentinian lake. Surrounded by the most amazing and wonderful scenery the fisherman finds in this spot the perfect combination of big fish in good numbers and no fishermen around, having a high quality service.

King Salmon fishing in this latitud is very particular; its different states make this fishing variable on the aggressiveness, amount of takes and the length of a fight. Kings react by irritation, they are very territorial and their senses are highly developed. All these characteristics make this fishing very challenging.
Once the King salmon gets into the fresh water system looking for the place to spawn a metamorphosis phenomenon occurs to him. The kype gets more visible as well as the hump. Also the color gets more red on the belly and darker on the back, its fins at the end of the cycle are really wasted and the strength is much less. Up to the spawning time they are hard to take, and most of the times they win the battles. Its strength has no comparison with other fresh water species of the kind.
Estancia Cristina and Caterina river have an stable colony of King salmon that amazes by its number. The weight of these fishes goes from 18pds to 50pds and bigger.
An interesting detail from this particular colony of Chinook is that comes from the Atlantic sea. The rest of the rivers of Argentina and Chile receive kings from the Pacific sea. This phenomenon also represents a challenge for the biologist. This is a short video i made on a 4 days trip:

https://vimeo.com/59368158

Hardyreels 06-28-2013 06:29 PM

Re: Guiding the best of South Patagonia

Wow!

Outstanding show, I fish for the kings here also and so the video of your glaciated waters looked very familiar to me. Do you fish for them close to the sea? When they come in from the sea are they bright? I would love to come and try your salmon, have you ever been to Alaska to fish for ours?

I fished a river just 3 days ago that had a good number of them in but I targeted trout as they were something I don't catch enough of. The salmon were in a huge crowd at the mouth where the smaller river met a much larger river. I did not fish in the school of fish but tried to find a willing fish up river. I saw them rolling and jumping but did not get any that day. I return to this place tomorrow for a couple days and may catch some then.

Welcome to the forum,

Ard

mcnerney 06-28-2013 08:50 PM

Juan: Awesome video! Those opening scenes look just like Alaska. Amazing King salmon you have done there!

patagoniaaustralff 06-29-2013 09:48 AM

Hi, these salmons are actually hundreds of kilometres from the Atlantic sea. They come upstream the Santa Cruz river which is 400km long and then they reach the Argentinian lake, they swim for 60km and then they find this river where I got the video. They get in very good shape actually, but more like a light brown colour and some of then kind of white, on my next post IŽll upload some of the pics i took.
IŽve never have the chance of fishing Alaska but It is definetively on my to do list. We also have some trout in the river, but pretty small. The estancia closes in April and nobody knows if the steelheads come to spawn up there.

---------- Post added at 11:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 AM ----------

Yes Larry, the biggest I got was 46pds and a friend of mine got a 50pds. They are really big!!