The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2011, 10:37 PM

ssmith will become famous soon enough
Default it is possible...?

Hey everyone,

I will warn you I am totally new to spey and have been heavily confused by much of what I have found on the internet. I'm debating buying a Redington CPX 11374 for steelies on the Wisconsin tribs but I am on a very tight budget. I can't really afford to go all out and purchase a new reel and full set of spey lines right now but plan to in the future. Currently I have an Orvis battenkill Large Arbor III reel and SA 7wt steelhead line on it and I know that it will stand up to steelhead but will not work well on this rod by itself.

My question is if I were to purchase a Skandi/Skagit head and attached it to the Steelhead line for my running line would I be able to effectively achieve what I am trying to do?

'If our father had had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.'
Old 02-10-2011, 11:00 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: it is possible...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmith View Post
My question is if I were to purchase a Skandi/Skagit head and attached it to the Steelhead line for my running line would I be able to effectively achieve what I am trying to do?
Nope. It will not be effective.

For a shooting/running line, I'd recommend something floating in a .030" thickness. Rio's Powerflex Shooting Line casts well, but there are plenty of viable shooting lines on the market.

MP
Old 02-10-2011, 11:09 PM

ssmith will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the tip MP, I figured it was a shot in the dark but I guess the girlfriend is right and patience is a virtue... unfortunately I'll have to put this off till possibly the fall.

'If our father had had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.'
Old 02-11-2011, 04:08 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

You can use Heavy mono at a pinch. it is used over here for fishing the mouth of some of the bigger deep rivers because it helps with getting the line or skagit head down faster we use full sinking! ultimatly you will be better off using level running line as MP has said it will be easer on your hands and rod

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD