The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2011, 08:08 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice
Default spey line on single hand rod?

I'll start off by saying "Please excuse my ignorance."
I live in a rural area hours away from any fly shop, so my only source of instruction is the internet and printed material.

I have never tried spey casting, and do not even own a spey or switch rod, but whom what I've seen & read it sounds as if spey casting might fit in well in one area I like to fish. It's a small creek that enters the Ohio river, and a powerplant empties warmed water from a cooling tower into the creek.

There is an abundance & variety of fish at or near the mouth of the creek year-round, but it can be almost impossible to fish at times with a normal overhead fly cast. A roll cast is about my only option at times because it's dangerous to wade the area, (strong currents and areas of soft sticky mud) and there are trees almost at the water's edge.

I have a 9'6" 8wt rod with a fighting butt and was thinking of trying a spey line and an "add-on" butt extention to see if a spey rod is something I should invest in. More of a switch rod in configuration, but it might give me a "feel" for the possibilities with a real spey rod?

I know it would be a cheap imitation of the real thing, but I hate to invest a month's salary into an outfit I may not like after I get it. I also thought maybe a line designed for spey casting would improve my roll casting distance.

I'm again guessing, but I take it a spey (specific) line has a short heavy head and a long level running line. I found a dealer on eBay that offers spey lines (generic no-name lines) for a very low (about $30.) price that might let me get a feel for what it's like. I have used his WFF lines and they work well when new, but are not as durable as a high quality line, so I'm again guessing this might be an inexpensive option for a "test drive".
Old 02-11-2011, 09:11 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all
Default Re: spey line on single hand rod?

Here's my two cents:

With spey casting it's very important that our fly lines and leaders match our spey rod.

Rio now has a spey line designed for short spey rods. Your rod, however, might be too short. I would call Rio and ask.

Also, you'll need a longer leader, about 1 1/2 times the length of your rod. As part of the leader you might want a 10 foot Versi leader.

See how confusing it's getting?

As a general rule, the belly of your spey line should be about 4.1X the length of your spey rod. (Some anglers will say
5X but I think that's too much.)

If you want to try a traditional fly line for spey casting you generally go up four weights with your line.

Getting involved in Spey casting will cost money. If it's something you want to do, I'd consider getting a short spey rod - 10 1/2 feet - from Cabela's.

This spring, Salmon Trout and Steelhead will run an article about getting started with Spey casting.

Randy

Last edited by randyflycaster; 02-11-2011 at 09:12 AM. Reason: More info
Old 02-11-2011, 12:02 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Wabi,
I haven't really studied the single handed Spey thing much. Here is an option that may work.

Get yourself a cheap 10 weight floating line. If the belly is longer than 40 feet, the better it is. The whole goal is to have a lot of line mass to perform some of the single handed Spey techniques. When in the roll phase, you should feel your rod load all the way down to the handle.

One thing that you will have to do is figure out how much line off the tip will load your rod the best. Once you figure that out, mark that part of the line with a Sharpie pen.

Good luck.

MP

Edit: The more I think about it, this recommendation will work if you have plenty of room to form a d-loop. If the space behind you is limited, you will want to have a shorter head line.

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 02-11-2011 at 12:12 PM. Reason: had to add something
Old 02-11-2011, 07:11 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Everything you would ever want to know about single hand spey casting can be learned with this video. Here is the trailer for it. It has a pile on actual spey casting as well. In fact I learned to spey cast watching you tube videos, this one included. I also video taped myself and a gillie (spey insrtuctor) in Scotland took a look at it for me and corrected all the bad habits I was picking up before they became permanent. I'm sure that once you get started, if you video tape your casting, a bunch of us, including myself would be more than happy to klook at it and help you out.
Dan
P.S. There is nothing on Earth more fun than swinging the long rods.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:08 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

Remembered I have a 9' 6wt (single hand) rod stored in my shop (I'm a self-employed plumber and have a 30' x 40' "shop" where I store tools, supplies, and hunting-fishing-camping gear).
I'm bidding on a 6wt spey line on eBay and thought I'd try it on the 9' rod (fast action) and see what happens before I incur my wife's wrath by having a new rod delivered to the house. She always gets nervous about the bank account balance when those long round tubes are delivered.

I may be oversimplifying the cast, but it looks to me to be very similar to the basic roll cast with a modified method of positioning the line and anchoring it on the water for the forward cast where current becomes a big factor.

I tried the 8wt yesterday, but only had a wf8f line on it and ended up roll casting. Current was from my right to left, so I would roll cast to the right (rod tip over left shoulder), then lay out the line with a roll cast to the left of that cast to get the line out.

I'm (again guessing) the spey line would give me the advantage of knowing exactly how much line to have out (2 color line) before attempting a single hand spey cast?
Old 02-12-2011, 08:26 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Spey lines and single hand rods do not equate. You really will not be happy with how it works on a 9 foot rod. Single hand spey casts are done with a single hand line, but with enough out of the rod to achieve an anchor and load the rod. You also haul as you shoot the line. I think the idea Mosca had of marking the line where the rod tip is when you have discovered the right amount of line to that is, Is a good one.

The Heads weights of a 6 spey and a 6 single hand line are not the same. If you can let that spey line go to a higher bidder, you probably should.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Spey lines and single hand rods do not equate. You really will not be happy with how it works on a 9 foot rod. Single hand spey casts are done with a single hand line, but with enough out of the rod to achieve an anchor and load the rod. You also haul as you shoot the line. I think the idea Mosca had of marking the line where the rod tip is when you have discovered the right amount of line to that is, Is a good one.

The Heads weights of a 6 spey and a 6 single hand line are not the same. If you can let that spey line go to a higher bidder, you probably should.
Thanks for the advice!
I was (luckily) outbid at the last minute.

Think I'm going to try to schedule a trip to the city and look at some spey rods up close before I make an investment. Sounds like a few hours driving time might be a good investment.
I'll probably call the fly shop I do most of my (rod) buying from and see what they have in the way of outfits and if I can cast one of them. I could pay cash and avoid a paper trail (the checkbook) and keep my wife happier, too.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabi View Post
I could pay cash and avoid a paper trail (the checkbook) and keep my wife happier, too.
That could lead to the predicament I have caused. When I die, I fear they will sell all my stuff for what I claimed I paid for it.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:02 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Wabi, here's the good news. People, lots and lots of people, have been doing spey casts with single hand rods for years. The rod doesn't know, nor does it care what cast you're performing. The only factor is a proper WF line on the rod.

Simon Gawlesworth (sp?) of RIO has an excellent book out that just address' that topic.

Love this bit of utube, and several of the others you can 'click on' to the left:

Most spey casts done with a single hander are actually very easy, there are a couple that ... well ... don't quite meet that standard. An example of the last would be the 'snake roll.' Rod doesn't care, but you'd better have strong shoulders (personal experience there).

Anyway, drop the dime and get Simon's book ... ALL will be reveled.

fae

Edit: here's another thread on the subject. http://www.flyforums.co.uk/spey-cast...y-casting.html

Edit x2 = Here's Simon's book via Amazon:
Amazon.com: Single-Handed Spey Casting: Solutions to Casts, Obstructions, Tight Spots, and Other Casting Challenges of Real-Life Fishing (9780811705592): Simon Gawesworth: Books Amazon.com: Single-Handed Spey Casting: Solutions to Casts, Obstructions, Tight Spots, and Other Casting Challenges of Real-Life Fishing (9780811705592): Simon Gawesworth: Books
Old 02-13-2011, 11:35 AM

Will pick up a copy of Simon's book.
Tried to download the Kindle version from Amazon, but it wouldn't download.
Amazon customer service couldn't figure out the problem, so I have to wait and see if their tech support can figure out the problem.
I guess if they can't figure it out I'll buy a hard copy.