The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2011, 10:26 PM

wypatch will become famous soon enough
Default Re: A switch outfit for trout?

Well, heres where I stand. I need a rod that can get a 26+ very PO`ed bow to the bank in 7500cfs water but still fun to get the "schoolies" and fish lower water. I dont use streammers over a #2 and normally just through a #6 bugger. I`ll nymph if they dont chase my streammers but thats not often...almost all of the fish I get are over 18". The big questions I got are what line do I need, I will be learning how to spey cast with. What wt, it can start blow`in good in the canyon and I may need to cast in 20+ winds. Reel, the combo I`m looking at comes with a Ross CLA 5, I`ve had fish take over half my backing when the waters move`in (did`nt land them), I guess spey line is more bulky than normall line. Think I could use a #4 and be safe or is the #5 for me? The rod, would I be hurting my self learning with a 11' rod. I wonder if I should just start with a spey rod and go from there? How well do they work for dries? Thanks for all the advice!
Old 02-17-2011, 11:31 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Here is where I draw the line between 6 weight and 7 weight. It is the delivery system. If you feel that you need to deliver large flies with 7.5 to 10 feet of T-14, go with the 7 weight. You will need the heavier rod to deliver mass of the line, tip, and fly.

For what you want to accomplish, I would recommend the rod weight that you feel would work best in your situation, a shorter Skagit style shooting head with the appropriate tips and running line, and a reel that has the capacity for that fat line.

As for reels, use the CLA 4 with a 6 weight switch and the CLA 5 with a 7 weight switch.

I used to be part of the camp that learning with a full length Spey rod was the way to go for first time Spey casters. Back then the line selections were limited. I have changed my stance recently. With shorter Skagit and Scandi heads, people could learn just as fast with the shorter heads.

A switch rod is not my primary stick for a dry fly rod, but it still can be used as one. Skating large dry flies is an effective way to get a Steelhead. Sometimes I skate a large Chernobyl Ant for trout. Sometimes I'll throw a large hopper. Don't plan on getting pretty presentations.

Just wondering. What kind of input are you getting from the staff at your local shop?

MP
Old 02-18-2011, 08:24 PM

I have`nt asked much about it out here. There is a fly shop in Cody that offers spey lessons and I will make my way up there to talk to `em sometime. Think I will go with the 6wt #4CLA. I found a place called The Caddis Fly Shop on line thats got that Echo SR 6wt CLA #5 combo and I`ll call them when I`m ready to get the rod and hopefully they`ll sub a #4, unless I see someth`in I need to have in Cody that dont beak me. The combo also comes with a Airflo scandi 360 compact. Whats the diff. between that and a compact skagit? The 7wt. has the option of both lines and a "switch" line???I`ll try calling them tomarrow to see what they can do for me. I`ve learned a bunch here so far and it`ll be nice talking on the phone w/o feeling completly ignant. Thanks. I`m really get`in hyped about doing this, I thought about it a lot last year while I was untangeling my fly out of the bushes trying to get further out from the bank, cant wait to fish the other side
Old 02-18-2011, 09:00 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

This article was written by Simon Gawesworth who is probably the brightest guy on Spey. It pertains to Rio products, but the concepts of Scandi and Skagit can be learned from it.

Compact Skagit = shortened Skagit style head
Compact Skandi = shortened Scandinavian style head

The Caddis Fly Shop might have a reason for using a CLA 5. You may want to ask the person why? My guess is that the staff feels that it balances better than the CLA 4.

MP
Old 02-20-2011, 03:35 PM

I`m a smarter man after read`in that. Looks like the swichline would fit me well. I could get an extra spool for a compact skagit and be set when all I`m doing is striping big steamers and use the switch as a go to line...I`m ordering my new rig this Sat. and cant wait to do this. I got the vid from Jeff Putnum`s and learned a lot from it.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:22 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Dennis, great article, thanks for posting the link...

Dan
Old 03-05-2011, 02:56 PM

Oh yaaah baby, got my first two fish in the canyon today. Two bownies, 21" &18". Cant say enough about the rig I got. Got the 7wt Echo switch outfit w/ a Ross CLA#5 reel and Rio switch line and it rocks. After watching the vid by Jeff Putnan a bunch I headed out this morning pretty confenent I could do her and after a bit of practice I had it down and got the 21"er w/ a snake roll and a swing to a spot I would`nt been able to get too SH. Fish put up a real good fight and was a blast to catch on that 7wt...can`t wait till the waters MOVE`IN. I don`t think I`ll have a problem with a 30"er and 7500cfs this year. First chance I get I`m getting a spare spoll and a compact skaget head though. The swich line is great for shallow water and WOW, does it cast good SH but to fish the deep pools I see me needing a sinking line. Thanks to all who got me go`in the right direction!
Old 03-05-2011, 11:38 PM

I am glad that your current setup is getting you started. Wait until you get the Skagit rig figured out. You will be amazed on how much water will open up for you.

Jeff Putnam is a great instructor and person, as well. If you work your way to a Spey Clave, there is a good chance that he may be giving some demonstrations or clinics.

MP
Old 03-06-2011, 12:55 AM

The only reason I went with the switch to start is to still cast SH close to the bank, and nymph. I seen that the switch line coudnt through the bigger flies well and thats another reason I`ll get an extra spool... With that skaget line I`m sure I will be set. I will make the most of this "switch" thing Right now the water is shallow and I dont think a sinking line would be real good. I never used one. How do you keep it out of the boulders in the middle of the river? I`m pretty sure I`ll be useing the skaget a lot when the water goes up late spring.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:25 AM

btlguide is on a distinguished road

I recently got the echo 5wt switch. Rio Skagit short head 325gr, Nautilus FWX 7/8. Let me say its schaweeeetttttt. I guide in AK and it will be the ultimate trout rod. It handles t-8 and t-11 without a problem. T-11 over 10ft gets a little tougher to turn over. So if your wanting to throw anything over T-11 i would reccomend a rod with some more stank. My buddy has a Z-axis 6wt switch that handles t-14 without a problem, got alot of stank in that rod. Switch/spey for trout is my new love