The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2011, 07:45 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly
Default Re: A switch outfit for trout?

Dan, I was referring to Clays comment (B) An Indy style 8wt, on a 6wt switch rod. And fishing a bobber too...oooooo.
His descriptions otherwise, where what I've been suggesting, along with Dennis.
Lines, weight, casts, and all.

And sure, as per the PM, when I get another balmy day and a buddy to roll out with, I'll shoot a bit of video. On real water as well, not a casting pond....
May need some counciling on how to post it though.

Jim (Happy switch rod misuser)

Last edited by Bigfly; 11-29-2011 at 10:05 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:18 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfly View Post
Dan, I was referring to Clays comment (B) An Indy style 8wt, on a 6wt switch rod. And fishing a bobber too...oooooo.
His descriptions otherwise, where what I've been suggesting, along with Dennis.
Lines, weight, casts, and all.

Jim (Happy switch rod misuser)
And therein may lie the problem. As you can see when you look back through this thread I had never posted on it. Till you made reference to me that is. I think you may be confusing seperate threads here. What I am talking about is the bad information you have put into them. I have not tried to be argumentative here but on the other hand I don't want people to believe bad information either. You have advised people that can spey cast on a switch rod That is severely underlined. You have advised people they must overline a single hand rod by at the least three weights in order to "feel the rod load". (Conflicting information and if you are waiting to feel it load you are doing wrong.) You have told them they can't land fish by themselves, with a "Leave it to the British to invent a way to fish that needs two people!" You said switch rods were not spey rods. You have told them you can't spey cast on still water but that's OK because you can overhead cast it like a single hander. Plus more I have not listed.

None of that is correct information with the exception of part of the last one, because you can single hand cast a switch rod. When I have tried to correct this type of misinformation you have taken it as a personal insult, which it was not meant to be, and as of late seem to have declared war on me. For the second time I might add. If you want to do the video, I would like to see you do an actual spey cast in it. Your advice with the indy/bobber type stuff you don't even need a spey rod for I have no problem with, but the advice when it comes to actual spey stuff is so frequently wrong that I have to question whether you actually know how to do it. Again, my intent is not to insult you or pick a fight. It is just that I do not want people to believe that stuff that is clearly wrong is right, because it does not help them. It makes the learning experience harder, longer and much less enjoyable and in fact may make them give up on it. That is not the point of the forum. The idea here is to help each other and make this a great learning tool for all.

By the way, if you are strong enough, you can single hand cast a spey rod. Here is Steve Rajeff doing a single hand, double haul with an 18' Spey Rod.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:46 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future

Dan, I tried to post a PM, but lost it into the ether.
So I'll just make it public instead, I have nothing to hide here.
I'm not into arguing.
If you do not agree that's OK.
But to say I don't know what I'm saying is incorrect, and tiresome.

I haven't mentioned much my teacher Andy Burk, because I don't look to coast, in any way on his fame. Just giving one of my sources/influences. Not dropping names, but there are others as well.
Andy has guided all over, is a featured tyer with Umpqua, has been filmed and written about, has a monthly column, and is world recognized as a master in several styles.
Heck, a rock star. Goggle him. If I could google you, would you show up as an authority? Besides walleye?
I am lucky to live in the same area, and have gotten to fish, and talk fish with him for over ten years. When a client askes him for a local guide who does the switch thing, I get a call.
When we want test switch rods, I can borrow his rods and lines, from his shop..
On top of everything else he is a serious SPEY guy. (As in fishing, not just casting.)
But he too fishes this style, I've tried to share with members, at times too. And I repeat once again, it is not spey, it is switch style.
Except for indy style on the switch rod (overlined3, water loads, rollcasts,and everything else I said that bothers you.)
I repeat again, everything else here is traditional spey, whether with the short spey ( 11'switchrod), or trad-length spey (13-18ft..) just have to have the right line (and as you always say the right gr.) for the job. (I've never argued otherwise, except for switch style.)
Spey just like you do it, I think....
Except we also fish for big Browns/Rainbows/Steelhead and Salmon, and in a variety of ways..
I would never call myself an expert or authority about anything, I would leave that to others to decide. Heck my goal is to learn something every day.
I would say that forum members are getting tips for free from solid sources.
I would loath giving people bad info, or make this sport any harder than it needs to be. That would not be good for my business. (Which gets better each year.)
I have said most all this before.....sorry if this stuff bothers you so much ..
Just wanted to set you straight, as well as everyone else who has followed the tirade.
If other fishing professionals, Clay, and Dennis, Andy (and many others), are on the same page out here, I can't get too worked up by your disagreement.
No offence intended.
If I can operate in this end of the pool, I'm not a total hack.
I'm hopeful someone finds some of this useful.
When I can, I'll post a video, so we might all get on the same page.

Jim

Last edited by Bigfly; 12-01-2011 at 10:10 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:11 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

OK, here's the last thing I'm saying on this. You have given a ton of bad information. Provably so. I would advise others when it comes to spey/Switch rods, Spey casts single hand or otherwise to ignore virtually everything you say as the amount of wrong information you have given on these in the past makes you a bad source.
END
Old 12-01-2011, 09:18 PM

That's about what I expected...
Old 12-01-2011, 11:38 PM

wypatch will become famous soon enough

Man, i`ts funny. When I first started fly fishing all I did was put a BH bugger somewere in the water w/ a 9' 5wt. on a 9" staight mono leader and a goob of Loon paiste indy and caught more fish than any other way I done it. After learning what a nymph was, or getting my first vid and started to get the slightest idea of what I was doing, I never was able to get into the grove I had when I first picked up a rod and "got her". Geeessss, this aint rocket science, its fish`in. I got the video with the late Mel Snyder on fly casting and on it he showed one and two handed casting. From there I saw the perfect application for spey casting here on the Wind/ Big Horn river and now I spey cast in my sleep.... Nobody set me off in the wrong direction, hec, I still soak up every bit of info I get, but if I try it and it dont work I do something different. It dont keep me from catching fish, it gives me new ideas....
Old 01-03-2012, 07:48 PM

slabster is on a distinguished road

i picked up a 6wt helios switch last year for x mass with a matching battenkill LA reel and it is my go to rod for wade fishing. I was on the horn beg of December and when we would get out and nymph spots it was plain silly how much more water I could cover and how efficient I was at doing so compared to those with singles.

This rod lined with either a 6wt or 7wt airflo speydicator for nymphing or big sink tips, the orvis switch line for dries, small streamers, or techy small nymphs, or a skagit 375 are DOPE. you will never look back.

I much prefer this rod for nymphing than chucking streamers. dry fly fishing with it is a riot during bigger hatches. hoppers, slamon, flies, goldens, skwala's, drakes, spruce moths, etc is the only way to go.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:08 PM

zeolite will become famous soon enough

Interesting thread and particularly relevant to me as I really miss my Bruce and Walker 15' 10weight which I used back in Scotland.
I want a switch rod to fish here on the North Platte and wypatch's experience was very informative. Frankly I get tired of false casting and my single handed technique was always much poorer than my DH technique.

Anyway I see a few guys are saying they nymph with their DH rods. Can someone tell me what technique that is? I understand swinging streamers.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:17 AM

wypatch will become famous soon enough

Been hammer`in them all year so far on the swing but when the bit gets real slow I`ll turn to nymphin. Not real different than SH tecnique wise but the advantage of spey casting cant be put in words if you got no back cast room...A word of advice though, a 7wt. switch is a bit more power you need unless you hook`in 5+lb trout in fast water often. I did`nt know that a 7wt.DH=9wt.SH till I got into this spey thing more. Still, I can put ANY size bug just about anywhere in the water I want to put it and I got a 24" bow today so I`m happyOh yes, ol` Bob said my new Meiser 12'6" 4/5/6 Highlander C should ship next week!
Old 04-09-2012, 10:52 PM

zeolite will become famous soon enough

wypatch...What line did you go for?

I think the rod is less important than deciding what line. I am used to long belly spey lines (Evans, Carron etc) and I really can't be bothered doing all that stripping for a shooting head. I suppose I am saying I want a short/mid belly spey line on a 11' 5 weight rod. Does anyone have any recommendations?