The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 12:13 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A switch outfit for trout?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeolite View Post
wypatch...What line did you go for?

I think the rod is less important than deciding what line. I am used to long belly spey lines (Evans, Carron etc) and I really can't be bothered doing all that stripping for a shooting head. I suppose I am saying I want a short/mid belly spey line on a 11' 5 weight rod. Does anyone have any recommendations?
Try a 5/6 Rio Windcutter Spey. I tried it on a 11' 5 weight Z-Axis when it first came out. It works ok if there is enough room to form a d-loop.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:48 PM

zeolite will become famous soon enough

One has been ordered!
Old 04-10-2012, 10:44 PM

wypatch will become famous soon enough

I ordered a custom SGS Skandit kit to go with the rod. I told Bob he could pick the grain wt. he thought would work best for what I use. THEY SHIPPED TODAY!!! Should have her by this weekend. I got the rod to use while wadeing so back space wont be an issue but if I`m on the bank after the waters up I`ll just use the skagit part of it to get where I need to be...Still plan to use the switch in the canyon on the rocks-what I really got it for, but I know this 12'6" 4/5/6 will be my new love. I should change the title of this thread to "I switched to spey casting for trout"
Old 05-13-2012, 05:32 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

I have the 3/4/5 version of that rod WP and love it for river trout fishing. Grain range for this rod is 250 as a 3wt to 400 as a 5wt, which seems pretty darned heavy to me. Anyway, like yourself I had Steve Gotshall make up a Scandi head for the rod to use as a 3wt.

Knowing my 'casting style' he cut the line at 280 grains so you really have to light finger this puppy when you cast same. 70 - 80 foot casts are just a light flick of the wrists. Only 'problem' is you can't see trout sized flies out at that range. With wets you just have to let the fish self hook. With a surface fly you look down the fly line and add (eye-ball) another 10 or 12 feet and look for a tiny 'V' on the surface.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:45 PM

texastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura about

I have been reading extensively about a switch rod set up for trout and bass. So my question is what is your verdict for the switch rod set up for trout?
I have been lurking SpeyRod forum and found that a large number of anglers are leaning toward a 4 wt spey. But that is Spey rod selection, which according to my thin knowledge, has different taper and heavier.

I have seen somewhere that some guys are happy with 4 wt switch. And yet other guys are in favor of 5 or 6 wt based on the idea that 5 wt or 6 wt is more conducive to throwing big flies.

My primary purpose will be present a nymph rig for trout in a big river and swing streamers (perhaps wollybugger size 4 to 8). I also want to cast at the Lakes in Texas to chase after big bass. If I get a switch rig, the first place that I would like to try is San Juan river and after catching trout with size 24 midges all day, I would like to swing some big streamers for fun.

thanks in advance.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:23 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Thread on the 'Mother Board' made me laugh. One of the better know posters (in several very good ways) posted up he was surprised you could get 2handers down to a three weight (I'd commented I had one for large river trout fishing).

Kind of a tongue in cheek answer about getting one of those "13 foot 3wts." Think I took him a bit by surprise when I posted back the longest 3wt (that I know of) is 'only' 12'6" but he can get an 11'7" TWO weight (Gary Anderson/ACR rods). I'l love to cast that one, could be a total hoot.