The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 11:35 PM

wypatch will become famous soon enough
Default A switch outfit for trout?

I`ve been really think`in hard about getting a switch rod setup for fishing the Bighorn and Wind River Canyon for BIG trout. Seems to make al lot of sense if I could learn to spey cast and get were I need to w/ no room for a back cast...The water moves from 750-7500cfs with an average of 1400cfs. Right now I use a 9' 6wt Scott and that works well but I just cant get them bigger bugs were I need`em all the time. I`ve looked at the other threads on switch rods and that info was helpfull. I plan on getting a combo in 2 weeks and I`m look`in hard at the Echo or the TFO. Thing is, I dont think I need a reel that frig`in big. Both rods are a little heavier than I`de like and w/ that reel it`s over 1lb. Guess thats the price to pay. Any suggestions? I know that learning to spey cast on a swich rod might be a crutch but it would be good when the fish start rise`in, also, walking though big boulders and heavy brush a 10'10" rod makes sense. How about an Echo 7wt combo w/ the Rio switch line and a #4 Ross instead of a #5, think it`de work?
Old 02-16-2011, 12:22 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A switch outfit for trout?

You would be surprised how much backbone that the Echo 6 weight switch has in terms of handling fish and throwing hardware. One of my friends uses his 6 weight with the 390 grain Airflo Skagit Compact line with 10 feet of T-8 or 7.5 feet of T-11. When he wants to indicator fish, he puts on a 10 foot Rio floating MOW tip. Last week he landed three Steelhead ranging 23 to 26 inches on Intruderish style flies.

You may want to lean towards a 7 weight if you want to sling T-11 and T-14.

If you want to throw Spey style casts with larger flies, I would not recommend the Rio Switch line. It is a better nymphing line than a Spey line due to the longer belly. A shorter Skagit style head will throw large flies easier which means it should be easier on you.

As for reel sizes, a #4 Ross Momentum LT or CLA can hold shorter Skagit heads up to 425 grains with ample backing. If you desire more capacity, you can use a super braid line as backing. Keep in mind that you can also gain capacity by cutting 10 to 20 feet of running line.

MP
Old 02-16-2011, 01:21 AM

wypatch will become famous soon enough

Maybee a 6wt would better suite me. Thanks for the info on the line too. This spey casting will be all new to me so bear with me, two years ago I didnt know what nymph`in was(still a bit new to flyfish`in) but its all took off like wildfire after spinfishing all my life...Whats T-11? I got a vid comeing in the mail on switch rod tech. so I`ll have a better idea of what I got look`in at me. Cant say how much I miss steelies! These Wyo trout make up for em good though.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:39 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

T-lines are level tungsten impregnated lines that are used for sink tips. T-8 is a tungsten line that weighs 8 grains per foot. T-11 is a tungsten line that weighs 11 grains per foot. T-14 is a tungsten line that weighs 14 grains per foot.

I use a 6 weight switch here in Northern California. I probably target more resident Rainbow Trout than I do Steelhead. I find it suitable for the flies that I throw and the fish that I target. It's comforting to know that it has enough backbone for the local Steelhead as well.

MP
Old 02-16-2011, 12:43 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Wypatch, Don't even hesitate.
In a season, you will be wondering how you ever lived without it.
And like I always say, when you go back to a 9' rod you will have much more game on.
MP is quite correct on line choices.
Ask yourself 2 questions. 1. do I Nymph more, than swing streamers, and 2. what is the maximum distance you may have to chase a fish downstream. Good idea to lose a little running line, but backing can be key.
Oh, and the 6wt is probably enough. Lighter, and you can always get the 7wt later.
Good luck, keep us posted.

Jim

Bigfly

Last edited by Bigfly; 02-16-2011 at 04:17 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:28 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfly View Post
And like I always say, when you go back to a 9' rod you will have much more game on.
Jim
Jim, what do you mean by this?? What skills would I pick up and transfer to using a 1 hander?

Thanks! -Mike
Old 02-16-2011, 04:03 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future

Mike, It is a rare day when I aerialize my casts now. Even with a dry fly. (Except distances over 50-60ft.)
Far fewer tangles, and much more efficient fishing.
Every false cast you make is generally a cast wasted.
As a friend told me years ago, "ya can't catch fish with your line in the air". Don't hook bushes either.
I put a little fatter line on my 5wt. XP and do most things the same way as the switch.
If you come up this way, give a holler, we will walk the water.
It'd be good to see you. Keep up the fish photos!!!!

Jim

Last edited by Bigfly; 02-17-2011 at 01:08 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:43 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Gotcha, thanks. Apologies to the OP for hijacking...-Mike
Old 02-17-2011, 11:38 AM

Mike, hijack any time.
Better wait a bit to walk water, Winter has seriously returned.
But it can't last forever.........

Jim

Bigfly
Old 02-17-2011, 12:03 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I fish a 5wt Batson Switch for trout and smallmouth, with a homegrown Skandit style head I cut from a RIO Grand 8wt. I took the line and cut to form 18' after a little experimenting I cut it again to 15'. Couple that with poly leaders and a sparsely tied bunny leach it'll reach out to 60' with a properly timed cast. 20" bows and smallies are a flat out blast and the little guys are fun too.