The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2009, 10:53 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Choosing Spey Blanks

After a bad experience with a pre-finished rod (long story) I am going to buy components and blanks and do my own finish.

I am considering blanks from R.B. Meiser, if you know anything about the Meiser rods please share it here. I am looking at the MKS series of blank but will remain open to all advice. I am interested in a rod that will be equivalent to a 7wt and am thinking the blanks rated 6/7 wt will be my choice.

Thanks,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-30-2009, 12:37 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Choosing Spey Blanks

Ard,

One thing about Sacramento is that there is a small group of Spey enthusiasts who meet every Sunday at one of the accesses at the American River. They are always happy to share information and let people try out their gear.

I tried one of the the MKS rods, but I'm not sure if it was a 6/7 or the 7/8. One thing for certain is that the rod has plenty of zing. The owner of the rod had a Skagit line that was around 550 to 600 grains (just guessing since the line looked like a piece of rope). It threw that line with authority. With that heavy of a line, it bent the rod down to the handle. The line had a floating tip on it, but I'm sure it could pull out 15 feet of T-14 line easily.

That rod was beautiful. He had it custom made in Meiser's shop. If you build yours, post some pictures. I'd love to see it.

As for other options, look at the Beulah Classic or Platnium blanks. The blanks have Meiser and Kinney influences designed into them.

MP
Old 10-30-2009, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Thank you MP. I'm more confused by the lines than the rods but I guess they are two animals that inhabit the same cage. I would like to stick to a floating line and weight my leader when necessary. Is this possible while still enabling a rod to preform well?

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-30-2009, 07:42 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Thank you MP. I'm more confused by the lines than the rods but I guess they are two animals that inhabit the same cage. I would like to stick to a floating line and weight my leader when necessary. Is this possible while still enabling a rod to preform well?
There are so many lines and rod combinations, I think one day my head will explode. If you would like to stick with a floating line, you shouldn't have much problem. You could always use a long leader or a sinking leader if you want to get your fly down.

I learned with a Rio Windcutter Spey floating line and stuck with it. I was able to improve my casting mechanics with it. If I needed to get my fly down, I used a 15 foot leader and a hydrodynamic (sparse) fly. Later I experimented with sinking leaders.

Transitioning to a shorter Skagit style was easy. I already knew how to manage a large d-loop, so the smaller d-loop was a piece of cake.

Here is some good reading. It was written by Simon Gawesworth of Rio, but the concepts work for all line companies in general.

MP
Old 10-30-2009, 08:12 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
After a bad experience with a pre-finished rod (long story) I am going to buy components and blanks and do my own finish.

I am considering blanks from R.B. Meiser, if you know anything about the Meiser rods please share it here. I am looking at the MKS series of blank but will remain open to all advice. I am interested in a rod that will be equivalent to a 7wt and am thinking the blanks rated 6/7 wt will be my choice.

Thanks,

Ard
I bought a Meiser Clearwater 15' 8/9 wt. blank. Bob Meiser spent a lot of time on the phone with me picking the blank, reel weight advice, line, handle length, etc. More time than any reasonable person should expect. I have never delt with a nicer dealer on anything. I love the rod. To steal a line from 'Blades of Glory', I could not love a human child more. OK, that might be an exhageration, but not by much. If you call Bob I am sure he will give you all the help you need. Great guy, great rods.

Dan
Old 11-08-2009, 01:30 AM

saltflytyer is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Thanks,

Ard
Hi, if you are interested in switches everyone will tell you to get a cnd or Beulah. Remember that CND's blanks are made in China, and I believe Beulah's are as well. Chinese are people just like us. And in fact I RAVE about the TFO Deer Creek spey rods. But those rods, designed in the US by Bob Meiser and Mike Kinney, are in the low $300 range for a blank made in South Korea. CND's cost up to $800 for a blank made in china

Meisers are great blanks.Anderson also has great spey blanks, and Burkheimer does as well. These rods are designed by the most knowledgable of Spey caster and blank makers, in the USA
Old 11-08-2009, 02:36 AM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I've been using a floating line and weighted flies. I manage to hook the bottom in water that has to be at least 9 - 10 feet deep. I have not had the urge yet to go looking for a skagit line yet. I will one of these days, but not till I get all of my bugs worked out with the line I took to the dance first.

Last edited by Guest1; 11-09-2009 at 12:50 AM. Reason: missed a word
Old 02-19-2010, 12:46 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Quote:
I was going to post a question on line selection for my Cortland CL 12' 5/6 wt when I saw this post. I read the article MP linked, and it helped quite a bit.

If this was your first spey rod; Cortland CL 12' 5/6 wt what line would you go with?

I appreciate your help guys...

Dan
Old 05-20-2010, 04:08 PM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I bought a Meiser Clearwater 15' 8/9 wt. blank. Bob Meiser spent a lot of time on the phone with me picking the blank, reel weight advice, line, handle length, etc. More time than any reasonable person should expect. I have never delt with a nicer dealer on anything. I love the rod. To steal a line from 'Blades of Glory', I could not love a human child more. OK, that might be an exhageration, but not by much. If you call Bob I am sure he will give you all the help you need. Great guy, great rods.

Dan

This was my exact experience with him when I called him about my first spey rod purchase. I don't have the rod yet (the 60 business day thing according to my invoice) but I canít wait till it gets here. Base on the picking my brain aspect of the call I ended up with a Classic 6/7/8.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:32 PM
Banned

I am positive you will love it when it gets there. I love mine. Bob Meiser is a great guy isn't he?