The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2009, 08:32 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan
Default Questions on Spey and Switch Rods..

What is the difference between a spey rod and a switch rod? Do they use the same technique for casting?

Dan
Old 11-02-2009, 10:11 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all
Default Re: Questions on Spey and Switch Rods..

Check out this article:

http://americanangler.com/index.php?...d=281&Itemid=0

Randy
Old 11-02-2009, 10:18 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

The simple answer is a switch rod is a rod that measures from 10.5' to 11.5' that can be fished either single handedly (like regular fly rods) or double handedly (Spey style).

In a few minutes, I'm headed out to the Lower Yuba River with my 11' 6 weight switch rod for Steelhead. There will be some places that I will use my rod as a long nymph rod. There will be places where I will be casting it and swinging streamers like a Spey rod.

It gives you the best worlds.

OK... Time to pack up!

MP
Old 11-03-2009, 09:21 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Thanks Guys, Randy the article you linked to answered a lot of my questions...

Dan
Old 11-03-2009, 10:31 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

BTW, if you're planning on fishing a Skagit line on a switch rod, Rio came out with a new, short skagit line.

Randy
Old 11-03-2009, 12:34 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
BTW, if you're planning on fishing a Skagit line on a switch rod, Rio came out with a new, short skagit line.

Randy
+1 I started using this line last winter. It's total length (line + tip) makes for a 3 to 1 line length to rod length ratio. All I need is five feet of backcasting room to shoot out a cast. Plus it's the easiest line to cast.

It also makes an adequate nymph line if you use a floating tip. There is so much mass in the head, it will turn over indo-bobbers, weight, and nymphs easily.

I will admit using a true nymph line that is uplined by 2 or 3 will work better on a switch rod because of the longer belly for better line control.

On another note, I did not hook into any Steelhead yesterday. I hooked up with a bunch of wild resident Rainbows (12" to 16") all on the swing.

MP
Old 12-01-2009, 06:34 AM

michaeln is a jewel in the roughmichaeln is a jewel in the roughmichaeln is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post

Randy
Airflo has their "Compact Skagit" head too. I have one on my Decho 7130-4.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:23 AM

grgerman is on a distinguished road

I had a conversation with a tech in customer service at RIO a few days ago.

He recommened the AFS Outbound line for a 7 or 8 weight 11 foot Orvis switch rod. He said it would be the best all around line for a combination of both spey and over head type casting. Furthermore, he recommended the 6/7 for the 7 weight and 7/8 for the 8 weight rods.

Just thought I'd share this.

Trout Bum
Old 12-13-2009, 02:20 AM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Dan, besides being able to cover more water, I like the way the Spey casts have bled back into my casting with a nine foot rod too. Sort of opened my mind about casting and line manipulation/placement. A roll cast, an air mend, and you are there!
Using a 9wt Rio Steelhead/Salmon taper on my Sage 11ft. 6wt. switch.
Longer casts, longer drifts, less work.....
Does change your closeup game though.

Bigfly