The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2009, 01:07 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Big Spey Rod Pike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfishinbear View Post
I was watching a TV show not along ago and they cuaght a pike with the color you are talking about. They called it a blue pike, somehting about a rare coloration of pike, had something to do with the pigmentation, being diffrent.
Bear
You know I looked into that, but all the blue pike I could find pretty much were free of markings all together. It is a genetic mutation. In some systems they seem to be up to 10% of the Pike population and do not cross breed with normal Pike. It would be cool if it was but I was kind of uncertain in this one because of the markings. Even the markings are a little odd on this fish. Instead of just the flattened oval marks typical in Pike, it has rings, squiggles, and w type stuff. Just odd marks. If I could find where there was an accepted blue pike with marks it would be great. Every single tippet class record in the catch and release [Fresh Water Fishing Hall of Fame] is open for Blue Pike. It would make it a record. Have you seen one that still has markings?
Old 12-01-2009, 06:21 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
You know I looked into that, but all the blue pike I could find pretty much were free of markings all together. It is a genetic mutation. In some systems they seem to be up to 10% of the Pike population and do not cross breed with normal Pike. It would be cool if it was but I was kind of uncertain in this one because of the markings. Even the markings are a little odd on this fish. Instead of just the flattened oval marks typical in Pike, it has rings, squiggles, and w type stuff. Just odd marks. If I could find where there was an accepted blue pike with marks it would be great. Every single tippet class record in the catch and release [Fresh Water Fishing Hall of Fame] is open for Blue Pike. It would make it a record. Have you seen one that still has markings?
I had never even heard of blue pike until I seen this show. I honestly dont recall if the fish they caught (1) had markings or not. sorry.
Still it sounds like a trophy, many people fish and hunt all their lives without getting something really diffrenet like that.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:57 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Yah, I thought it was pretty cool too. The first thing out of my Canadian friend's mouth when I landed it was "Wow, look how silver it is!" Oddest colored pike I ever caught.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:58 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

WOW! I'd love to catch a pike like that, Dan. I'd love to catch any pike...
Old 12-02-2009, 01:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
WOW! I'd love to catch a pike like that, Dan. I'd love to catch any pike...
If you ever make it out this way I'm pretty sure we could make that happen.