The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2009, 03:38 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Big Spey Rod Pike.

I was out fishing the other day and got this with an 8 pound tippet. I did albright knot about 8" of 30lb. mono on the end just because I have been catching things with teeth like this girl. It is the biggest fish I had with the spey rod this year, but I had another one on that dwarfed this one. I don't usually get to upset when I loose a big one, but that one kinda did upset me. It was easily up in the thirty pound zone. Would have made a good photo.

What's the favorite fish you guys caught with the Spey Rod this year?
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Big Spey Rod Pike.

The ones that get away, yeah I know about them, nice Pike Dan!

Trout

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-18-2009, 10:47 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Dang!!!
That's one huge fish!!!

My biggest on the Spey was a 24 inch Steelhead hen.

MP

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 11-18-2009 at 10:51 AM. Reason: added something
Old 11-18-2009, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Dang! That girl's been eating well.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:16 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

WOW, nice fish.
Bear
Old 11-29-2009, 09:07 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys. It's kind of hard to see in this picture, but this is the oddest colored Pike I ever caught. It's back was dark blue and the spots are silver. I got it on video as I landed it, and it is easier to see in the video. I wonder if it is missing a skin pigment or something? It's all fun.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:48 PM

rmooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nice

sweet pike! im hoping to catch some big guys like that next summer itd be great to have a pike master such as yourself on the pike/musky swap dan!
Old 11-29-2009, 10:50 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Dan: This is indeed a nice pike, would have loved to see the monster you hooked!

Larry
Old 11-29-2009, 11:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Dan: This is indeed a nice pike, would have loved to see the monster you hooked!

Larry
It would have been nice to get a photo of it. I got fighting it on video. You can see the line do a "twing!" and then I reel in a hunk of wood. It took of down river right after I hooked it and it peeled me out into backing while I chased it down the shore. Like I said before, I don't get to upset when I loose big fish very often, but that one kinda upset me. It was the biggest Pike I have ever had on a fly rod. It looked to be well in the upper 40" zone. A 30 lb fish runs around 46" here. It was probably all of that. I've caught a couple of them that size here, but not on a fly. You should see what the Pike fishing is like here in the spring. I've had back to back fish over 40" quite a few times. Fish in the 42" zone are fairly common, and 46" is not real common but not overly rare either. I've seen 5 over 50" (if photos count also, 2 if you don't). One of the photos was of a fish that a guy had just released and asked what I thought it would weigh. I have a really good length girth formula that put it just over the 45 lb. 12 oz. state record. One caught and released by the field on Big Traverse Bay, was actually longer than that one but the guy didn't take a girth so who knows what it weighed. I heard about one that was over 50' from the Canadian {Ontario} side of the lake but I can't verify it. I think it is probably that big because it was kept and taken to a taxidermist. Kind of takes the fudge factor out of the story. We've got some big ones here.

---------- Post added at 11:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmooney View Post
sweet pike! im hoping to catch some big guys like that next summer itd be great to have a pike master such as yourself on the pike/musky swap dan!
I just sent a message as to that one. I missed your note or I would have said so in my previous post. Where are you thinking of going?
Old 11-30-2009, 05:36 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

I was watching a TV show not along ago and they cuaght a pike with the color you are talking about. They called it a blue pike, somehting about a rare coloration of pike, had something to do with the pigmentation, being diffrent.
Bear