The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2011, 07:50 PM

tilden is on a distinguished road
Default Spey or Not to Spay

Greetings,

For the first time in my life (50+) I took a fly fishing class today. It was the second in a series, with the first class being knot tying, and todays being casting.

Having never thrown a fly the instructor turned us on to spey casting first. He said it was a good way to "get into fly fishing." My question is I would like to pursue spey casting but have no idea what to buy first.

Can you help me pick out a rod, reel, line, leader, and tippet. I will be fishing walleye, bass, and maybe carp, due to me living on the Mississippi.

Or, should I just get a regular fly get up?

Thank you,

T
Old 03-26-2011, 08:53 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spey or Not to Spay

I know a few people who have never thrown flies with single handed rods. They use Spey rods. They enjoy fishing big waters with the long rods. If that is what you want to do, choose the Spey.

Diver Dan may have a recommendation since he fishes for Walleye with a Spey rod, but I would go back to your instructor for a recommendation based off of your location.

MP
Old 03-26-2011, 09:15 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spey or Not to Spay

Hi Tilden. I'm here in Minnesota also. The Mississippi has some things in common with the Rainy River where I live. Many of the same species, the size and speed of the water. Spey casting has worked out really well for me. In fact since I have started spey casting, I would say that my spey to single hand ratio is 90% spey / 10% single hand rods. I have no doubt that you would really love spey casting. That being said, I'm not to sure going straight to spey casting is the way to go. It is a lot more expensive than single hand fly fishing. It may also benefit you to get a better grip on fly fishing tactics and flies before you go full blown spey. Also, because spey casting is so dang fun, you may never get into single hand casting if you start off with a spey rod first. I don't know if you make it to the North end of the state ever, but if you do, you are welcome to come and try casting my spey rods. Once you see how it works and have had one in your hands you will have a better idea about spey casting and what kind of spey rod you may want if you do get one. I'm in Baudette, by the way. Lake of the Woods/Rainy River. Drop me a PM if you think you are coming up this way.
Dan

My 15' 8/9 wt. Meiser, I love more than any rod I own. (with the horse shoe I hooked off the bottom)
Click the image to open in full size.

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 PM ----------

Since MP mentioned I fish for Walleye with a spey rod, I thought I'd post a photo. In it you can see I have a bloody spot on my chin. I hand land them while holding my rod in the other hand. This fish started going wild as soon as I picked it up. It slid up my chest as I tried to get a better control of it. When it got to my chin, it spiked me with it's dorsal fin. I was fishing alone and took the photo with a timer and 5" tripod. It was one of the feistiest Walleye ever. Life doesn't get any better than that does it?
Click the image to open in full size.