The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2011, 08:32 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Two hand casting styles

I came across something I think may benefit those of you thinking of getting into spey casting. There are a lot of different styles, and some rods are more suited to certain styles than others. An example was a G Loomis rod I saw that someone on the forum posted, and asked what anyone knew about it. I had said it looked like an underhand style rod because the top grip looked short to me. As it turned out, that was it's intended style.

The link I have here breaks down the styles of casting quite well. Be sure to click on the link in the underhand section, and you will see why the shorter grip is not a problem for the underhand style caster. It has a very good video of Göran Andersson casting.

I hope this helps someone. Dan

Double Handed FC - fly fishing and fly casting from a pro - Günter Feuerstein international Master flycasting instructor
Old 03-26-2011, 09:41 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Two hand casting styles

Hi Dan,

It seems I do a lot of underhand for short range and use overhand for reaching out. Thanks for that! The film has good picture quality and it's easy to understand what he is demonstrating. I just kinda learned but never have known all the names for the casts I use.

Cool,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-26-2011, 10:51 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I tried the underhand style, but it didn't suit me as well as the traditional top hand style. I like the traditional style where the hand is higher on the rod. (need the long top grip) I almost never have the room to overhand cast so I don't do it often. I may try working on underhand casting just for fun this summer though. Maybe I can use the overhead casts from the wall in my park. Hit the far weed edge. So many fun things.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:41 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Dan:

Thanks for sharing this I have ordered a switch rod as I've been so fascinated by doubled handed rods, but felt from everything I've seen that switch rods would be more versatile. Though I say this without any experience and therefore complete ignorance except for what I've seen on videos it seems to my understanding they would be good for both long and sort casts and therefore good for fishing up close and long distances. I can hardly wait for that rod to arrive and to begin learning two handed casting. This article and the video just added to my anticipation of what it will do to increase my fishing. One of the other reason's why I have been so interested is I do not own a boat and I'm hoping this will allow me to reach some spots that I would otherwise need a boat to reach or would ware me out casting singled handed rods too, if that makes sense.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:14 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I LOVE the underhand single spey. Its the easiest and simplest cast for me. This video helped me get it down pretty good there's the Henrik Mortensen videos that offer a ton of help too. The shorter grip is definitly a plus for the tighter compact stroke required in underhanded casting, another good point to add is when going about this particular casting its best suited to the lightest possible head you can get away with. Theres a trend in the two handed world to use the heaviest line when the Scandi style practically needs a light line. For example I have a Sage 8136 Brownie (thanks to ebay), traditionally a full flexing rod better suited for heavy long, mid and even skagit type line calling for something in the 500+ grain weight. I lined mine with a 490 grn scandi taper and it is BUTTER. I will say that in high winds and flies over 3" it suffers but fortunately I don't care much for the big stuff these days.
For the switch rods, they're definitly more versitile but I will say they don't do any one thing better than the other but you can do it all with one rod, if that makes sense. They are fun rods to fish and are the swiss army knife of two handed rods.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

You need to go to the ocean Dan

When I have taken the big rod to the Bays the past two seasons (and at some spots here on the big rivers) I do overhand casting. Like all other distance casts, timing rules. All I can say is that when a 52' head reaches the apex of the back cast you feel it. It is like someone giving you a firm nudge from the right shoulder and saying "now". For me it's the only way to launch a fly out beyond the surf with only one stroke. You do need a beach behind you because the short back cast will be around 50 - 60'.

Having the extra 5' of rod makes fishing in the salt easier unless you find the rare occasion where there are salmon running a close parallel to shore, then a 9' regular rod is better.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-27-2011, 09:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
You need to go to the ocean Dan

Like all other distance casts, timing rules. All I can say is that when a 52' head reaches the apex of the back cast you feel it. It is like someone giving you a firm nudge from the right shoulder and saying "now". .
I have a spot I'm going to try and do some overhead casting this spring. Provided this spring ever gets here. I'm still getting lows of below zero. I have a park in town here with a bay. I just have to pick a day where I won't snag any of the locals or their dogs with my back cast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
I LOVE the underhand single spey. Its the easiest and simplest cast for me. This video helped me get it down pretty good there's the Henrik Mortensen videos that offer a ton of help too. The shorter grip is definitly a plus for the tighter compact stroke required in underhanded casting,
The Henrik Mortensen videos are really good, and he has a bunch of them on You Tube. R.L. Winston made a video I got when I was at the factory a few years ago. A guy named Andre Scholz was the caster. It does a very good breakdown of the scandi style cast. The first style I tried was the Scandi Underhand cast. It works OK for me but I think my brain is wired better for the traditional top hand leads type casting. I think my lines are better suited for it also. I started off with a line that has a head of 56.5 feet. One thing you can say about two handed rods is they are really interesting if nothing else.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:51 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

From what I gather, 'under-hand casting' was a development of having very limited room behind for the formation of the 'D' loop. Many of the Scandinavian river channels were/are cut right out of bed rock so even standing in the water is not an option

Hence the development of the casting style, very short heavy heads, etc.
fae
Old 08-02-2011, 07:22 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenholder View Post
As a pianist sits down to practice Reflections in the Water by Debussy, he feels a sense of nostalgia before the he even starts playing.
Now that boys and girls is a heck of a first post. (Do we have a 'thumbs up' Smilie?

Bye the Bye, great choice of music. One you listen to in a darkened room with a good single malt at hand. Perhaps a bit better is "Opera Sauvage" by Vangelis?

fae
Old 08-02-2011, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenholder View Post
As a pianist sits down to practice Reflections in the Water by Debussy, he feels a sense of nostalgia before the he even starts playing.

You are a persistant little spammer aren't you? I do like the avatars you use.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*