The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2009, 02:38 PM

grgerman is on a distinguished road
Default Bought 11' 8wt Switch, which casting DVD

Thanks for all the input on my prevoius post.

I purchased an Orvis Helios 11' 8 wt Switch rod with the large Arbor V reel. I talked to Rio and they suggested the AFS OutBound in 7/8 weight along with 10' long Spey VersiLeaders, for my application (Steelhead), with minimal room for back casts on medium size creeks and rivers.

Now I need to learn how to cast this setup.

Can someone please reccommend a good DVD on Spey/Switch casting?

Thanks for your help!
Old 12-22-2009, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bought 11' 8wt Switch, which casting DVD

I think you should find many good videos on Youtube,but the best thing to do would be to find a forum member in your area who could go fishing with you
That's a nice setup you've got
Old 12-22-2009, 11:51 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

In Northern California, Jeff Putnam is the most sought after Spey casting instructor. He has a series of DVDs available. His "Switch Rod Casting Techniques" DVD is a comprehensive look on how to use the switch rod effectively.

MP
Old 12-23-2009, 09:05 AM

grgerman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
In Northern California, Jeff Putnam is the most sought after Spey casting instructor. He has a series of DVDs available. His "Switch Rod Casting Techniques" DVD is a comprehensive look on how to use the switch rod effectively.

MP
Thanks, I ordered the DVD.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:35 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Looks like a good video, thanks for the link Mosca...

Dan
Old 01-30-2010, 11:25 PM

thonyb will become famous soon enough

hi. i dont know much about spey casting. but i do own skatgit master and its really good. I try to do the cast single hand style. there is a trailer for it. Skagit Master DVD Featuring Ed Ward - Home Page. i want a switch rod bad. cant afford it though.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:53 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

Rio Modern Spey Casting. Expensive, but worth the money.

Randy