The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2010, 03:18 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan
Default Another Spey Question...

I was looking at a spey rod review site to see about the Cortland line of rods. I saw a post about taping ferrules on spey rods to prevent rod breakage when fishing. The post didn't mention any rod brands in particular, and it actually sounded like this was a pretty common practice. Is this a common thing with spey rods?

Dan
Old 01-31-2010, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Another Spey Question...

Hi Dan,

Here is some information about the Spey rod ferrule. I don't know if it answers your question but it is interestingly.

Frank
Old 01-31-2010, 05:05 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Interesting read Frank...I see they due mention different stress on the ferrules due to the casting stroke used with a spey rod...

Thanks,
Dan
Old 01-31-2010, 05:19 PM
Administrator

cb is just really nicecb is just really nicecb is just really nicecb is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuronRiverDan View Post
Is this a common thing with spey rods?
Taping the joints of spey rods is quite common but I never bother (and Ive been spey casting over 20 years). Here are some basic priniciples:

1. The rotational forces involved in spey casts can loosen the rod sections.
2. Taping the rods helps if the tape is non-stretch and applied properly.
3. The danger of taping is that you rely on it working! Stretchy tape (i.e standard electrical insulating tape) is the most commonly used and is poor.
4. If you dont tape you must check your joints regularly.
5. Even if you do tape you should check your joints regularly.

I dont tape but I do check often and tighten up joints and they do work loose sometimes.

Inconclusive I know but in summary, you can tape and check or not tape and check - I use the latter!

cb
Old 02-04-2010, 01:18 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Some tape every time, everyone should wax every time. I found out the hard way that the forces involved in casting a 15' rod are not the same as a 9' rod. When I first finished my 15' Meiser, I took it to the river, and in less than 20 minutes, cast the end three sections out into the river. I did really big ferrule wraps when I built it. They saved the rod. I wax every time and if I'm fishing for more than just a bit, I check ferrules all the time. If I get a longer rod, and I'm seriously thinking about it, I will tape. It's not worth the risk to the rod. I scared the livin' begeezis out of myself when I cast the end out in the river. It's a great way to bust a rod. I use a block of parafin to wax the ferrules, and do it religiously, every single time. I got white electrical tape in case the action gets to where I might forget about periodic checks. I have not used it, but it's there in case.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:07 AM

halo7b is on a distinguished road

"I took it to the river, and in less than 20 minutes, cast the end three sections out into the river" yep have done that one myself, the couple bucks for tape and wax is worth it to me.

Last edited by halo7b; 02-11-2010 at 10:08 AM. Reason: misspelled
Old 02-11-2010, 10:13 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

I also use wax and frequently check my ferrules. Though I don't do it, I think taping is a good idea.

Randy