The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2010, 11:45 AM

diverdown is on a distinguished road
Default Albright Fly Rods

Hi all,

I've been thinking about trying my hand at Spey casting and was looking for an inexpensive rod to learn on..... I found that Albright Fly Fish - Fly Fishing Gear, Fly Fishing Tackle | AlbrightFlyFish.com is having a 70% close-out sale on their 2009 Rods. I am looking at their 9/10wt 14ft 3 piece GP rod and wanted to see if any members have tried that rod?

Thanks
~S
Old 02-01-2010, 08:26 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Albright Fly Rods

I can't help with a rod that big, but I recall that Dorian has an Albright A5 in 5wt and really like the way it performs. For the price they are asking, how could you go wrong! I'd say if you want to try your hand at Spey casting this is th perfect opportunity to give it a try.

Larry
Old 02-02-2010, 01:55 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I casted it. It felt clunky, but it did the job. But all 9/10 Spey rods feel clunky to me. Keep in mind that I am used to casting 6 and 7 weight Spey and switch rods. I would consider the flex to be a mid-flex. The rod cast well with a Rio Windcutter Spey 9/10/11 line. You can probably learn quicker with shooting head style line like a Scandi or Skagit type.

If you are looking for a beater just to cast, it will work. If you are looking for a rod to learn how to cast and enjoy while you fish, you may want to consider another rod.

Remember this. You will have to get a reel that can hold those big lines. A reel designed to fit a 12 weight line will be required.

MP
Old 02-02-2010, 09:12 AM

Thanks for the replies. As you stated Larry, for that price, its seems to be a good deal and an opportunity to learn to Spey cast.

MP, thanks for the line advice. I was going to pair the rod with an Okuma Integrity 10/11 Reel.....

~S
Old 02-03-2010, 11:50 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Dang that's cheap! The 15' 10/11 is only $79.95! I can't even build a rod for that. I have more than that in the grips on my Meiser. I'm calling them bright and early and get one of them as soon as they hit the office. Thanks for the tip! The Carron Jetstream long belly line for a 10/11 has a 10' longer head than their 8/9 wt. line. (What my 15' Meiser is rated for) Instead of getting an extra spool and a new line, I'll get the new line and a new rod. I found a place to get a Hardy Spey sized reel for dirt cheap as well. By the way diverdown, you must be a diver huh?
Old 02-05-2010, 08:36 AM

My 8/9wt arrived yesterday....very nice rod.....smooth mid flex action....Can not wait to use it....At this price, I'll recommend them to everybody....

~S
Old 02-12-2010, 03:00 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Just got the rod today. Pretty nice. The rear grip is a tad longer then I would have made it and the seat is uplocking. I would have reversed the seat. But all in all I'd have to say it was a dang good deal. It's going to take about a 10 oz. reel to balance it so the grip/seat thing isn't to bad. The Hardy I'm going to get for it is 8 1/2oz. Maybe I'll start the backing out with lead core. Or adhesive lead strip like suspendots. Has an action alot like my Meiser. Tad stiffer, but it's a 10/11 and my Meiser is a 8/9.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:56 PM

dmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura about

I have the A-5 in a 7 wt and it is a pretty sweet casting rod. It is a 5 peice which seems odd to me but you really can not notice that in casting it.

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmwphoto View Post
I have the A-5 in a 7 wt and it is a pretty sweet casting rod. It is a 5 peice which seems odd to me but you really can not notice that in casting it.
Whet line do you use on it?
Old 02-12-2010, 07:31 PM

dmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura about

I use Orvis Wonderline on that one. WF7F

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.