The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2011, 05:08 PM

ssjchar is on a distinguished road
Default anyone try the llbean streamlight spey rods?

So I was thinking of getting a speyrod one day and i noticed that llbean has the streamlight setup that is pretty well priced at around 300 for the rod, SA line, and reel. Has anyone ever tried this setup? I also like how llbean offers free shipping to canada now.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:25 AM

ramjet is on a distinguished road
Default Re: anyone try the llbean streamlight spey rods?

I bought the Bean 14 ft 9 weight complete setup a few years ago.. It's a well matched setup and casts great!! Mine came with a case that was advertised to fit the reel on the rod.. .it didn't, but not a big deal to me.

Hope that helps you..
Old 06-13-2011, 08:50 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

What kind of line? In spey fishing/casting that can make all the difference.
You bascially have, long-belly, mid-belly, Skagit and Scandinavian. Each one has a different use and requires different casting techniques.

Randy
Old 06-13-2011, 12:23 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

That's a lot of 'stuff' for $299.00. The line is: "Outfit includes rod with reel-on-rod case, Streamlight Ultra Fly Reel and Scientific Anglers® Mastery Spey Evolution Fly Line and backing installed on the reel."
Old 06-13-2011, 12:43 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

The line is the only one Randy forgot to mention. It's a short belly line. It's a good line to start with. Have you spey cast before Fred?
Old 06-13-2011, 03:33 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
The line is the only one Randy forgot to mention. It's a short belly line. It's a good line to start with. Have you spey cast before Fred?
A tounge in cheek tag, but my nickname is "Sultan of Spey." A 'tag' given to me by Mark B of 'flyfishusa.' Don't know if you've ever been to the Sandy River Spey 'Clave (number 11 was this past May) but that was one of my 'dream child's.'

First intro to a 2-hander was at age 10 or 12 up in BC (for context, I just turned 69); a real "Greenheart" wood rod. At this point I've so many of them rigged/in tubes in the garage I've long since lost count.

One of the fun back stories (if I'm repeating myself here I appoligize) was back in 1984. I'd just moved to Nor-Cal and there was a huge sportsmans show going on in San Jose. Why not, I'm bored out of skull anyway.

One of the demo's was the first of Sage's 1409-4 'brownies
with this long thin pool. Poor guy who was doing the demo was getting zero attention. Well, hell 99.9999% of the folks there had no idea what a "spey rod" was, let alone how to cast same. I'm watching (first graph 2-hander I'd ever seen) and in frustration he shouts out some thing to the effect 'Does anyone here know how to cast a spey rod?'

Walked over and said yes but I'll need some room for the D loop, etc.

End game was in a few flicks I had about 100+ foot of line in the air .. only problem was the casting pool was only 60-70'ish foot long so line is going over peoples heads and laying over folks head/shoulders. Guy actually ran to the other end and said 'Give this man some room!!!!!'

End of the end game was purchased the rod direct from Sage as the one I cast was one of three they had .... my rod was #4 off the production line. Was a good day and I was 'on my game.'

Nothing against 'production run' rods, some VERY expensive, some 'cheap as chips,' but every caster has a 'style' as to how they cast.... and what line should you 'choose.'

And that's where 'Clave's, where ever they may be, are invaluable to the Newbie. Lots of equipment, lines, match-ups, competent instruction if just from 'A guy who owns one.'

Walk into the average (no dig intended) fly shop and they will sell you what they have on the shelf. Is it a good 'match' for you? Good luck.

fae
Old 06-13-2011, 05:16 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I've been using one for years. If you want to chat about line choices drop me a PM. They seem to cast very well and I have caught many fish on the 8/9 13' that I use. I thought it would be only my first long rod so I didn't spend a fortune but it has proven to be a great casting & fish handling tool. Below is a 28 pound King taken with it today.

Ard

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-14-2011, 02:13 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I got thinking after I posted that "Wait, I've seen spey posts from him before...." Sorry, my bad. I've never cast the rod you asked about, and I'm the only spey caster within God only knows how far from here. So I don't know anyone who has either.