The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2011, 09:09 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default The history of Switch Casting

I love to read about fly fishing history and Paul Schullery is the expert

From today's Midcurrent email
Fly Fishing Answers, Switch Cast History - MidCurrent
Old 05-03-2011, 09:18 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan
Default Re: The history of Switch Casting

Good article, thanks for posting the link Rip...

Dan
Old 05-03-2011, 09:41 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

+1 with Dan on that.

Don't think I've ever heard of the web site ... but I'm registered now ... and suspect I'll end up killing a few hours reading back issues.

I knew that switch/spey casting had a long history here in the US but this is the first real historical information I've seen.

Fred
Old 05-03-2011, 08:41 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
+1 with Dan on that.

Don't think I've ever heard of the web site ... but I'm registered now ... and suspect I'll end up killing a few hours reading back issues.

I knew that switch/spey casting had a long history here in the US but this is the first real historical information I've seen.

Fred
Fred, I'm not sure it's the same "switch" as today's switch rod. The switch rod of today has only been around since the late 90's. Meiser build a rod for a doctor friend. In a nutshell, a rod he could use two handed or single handed and it had to be light enough for fishing all day. Thus switch rods- switching from a two handed casting style and with the same rod, casting overhand, single rod style.

But what exactly is switch casting? Maybe some day more history of it will come out.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:39 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: The history of Switch Casting

Mojo, I think you have assessed it right. Hope to see more history on how recent switch rods evolved.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:46 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

I still fish the Harlem Meer with a Spey Rod, and I thought I was the first to do so.
Randy
Old 05-05-2011, 09:26 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Fred, I'm not sure it's the same "switch" as today's switch rod. The switch rod of today has only been around since the late 90's. Meiser build a rod for a doctor friend. In a nutshell, a rod he could use two handed or single handed and it had to be light enough for fishing all day. Thus switch rods- switching from a two handed casting style and with the same rod, casting overhand, single rod style.

But what exactly is switch casting? Maybe some day more history of it will come out.
Actually 'the concept' (personal experience) has been around since the early '60's. Waaaay back in the Day Angler's Workshop was alive and well (still located across the parking lot from Lamiglas if memory serves) and I had them build up a 10 S-glass fly rod for me (at that time they had a rod builder on staff). Reason for them doing the build job was trying to do a second cork handle by hand and filing down/sanding the cork was just more than I wanted to take on.

End game was they took about a 6" (old memory here) bit off a broken (flawed blank?) rod and did up the cork and glued in the extra 4" of cork into the butt of the rod.

Did it ever occur to anyone (me included) we'd just made up a 'spey rod' let alone a 'switch rod?' Not a chance.

fae
Old 08-16-2011, 09:03 PM

sixweight will become famous soon enoughsixweight will become famous soon enough

I'm not sure of the quality of the rods in the late 1800's, but isn't a "switch" a rod cut from a tree?
Old 08-17-2011, 01:32 PM

Wink Re: The history of Switch Casting

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixweight View Post
I'm not sure of the quality of the rods in the late 1800's, but isn't a "switch" a rod cut from a tree?
Why not? All "fishing rods" were made from similar materials as that's what was available.

fae