The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2010, 11:25 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tried casting the Albright 15', 10/11 wt. Spey rod.

I have an Airflo Delta tactical spey line rated at 10/11 wt. The line was a tad light for the rod so casts with a sustained anchor like circle spey and double spey casts worked best. When I got the rod loaded well it easily cast well over 100', even though I had a fairly annoying wind direction and speed. I think if the rod was properly lined, maybe one or two weights more, it would cast like a cannon. It has an uplocking seat, that if I had built the rod, would have been reversed. It should balance right at the end of the forward grip, and the line out and swinging, with a 10.5 or 11 ounce reel.

I bought this rod because it was so dang cheap it was not funny. $79.99 for a $370.00 rod. That's like 78% off or so. It is also long enough and a big enough weight rod to throw long belly lines like the Carron Jetstream with the 85' head. Having now had a chance to cast it, I have to say, MONEY WELL SPENT! Outstanding deal. It's a 3 pc. rod and comes with a nice sock and tube. I just checked and the sale is still on.

GP Fly Rods | AlbrightFlyFish.com

Bythe way, I can't take credit for finding this deal. Diverdown (no relation) found it.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:44 AM

diverdown is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tried casting the Albright 15', 10/11 wt. Spey rod.

Dan,

Glad you liked the rod. I picked up the 14', 9/10wt version and plan to pair it with a 12/14 Alpha reel from Justin (Allen Fly Fishing). I can not wait to try it out.

~S
Old 03-23-2010, 04:02 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure you will like it. Thanks for pointing out that deal. How can you go wrong at $79.99?

You sure we're not related?
Old 03-24-2010, 08:20 AM

diverdown is on a distinguished road

If the weather holds in NY this weekend, I'll give it a go.....
Old 03-25-2010, 09:34 AM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

Dan,

I have never tried a Spey rod, and I thought about picking up one of the Albright GP rods - as you said, you cannot beat the price. Unfortunately the options left on the rod sale are the 14' 9/10 or the 15' 10/11. These both seem to be pretty heavy rods for very large salmon fishing. Since I only get salmon or steelhead fishing every 3-4 years (steelhead in Washington or salmon in Alaska) I am not sure this is the right weight rod for me to start Spey casting with - I would not get very much use out of the rod.

Living in the center of the country most of the trout fishing is in much smaller streams, bu I am hoping to make a trip West this year or next and thought a Spey rod would be a fun thing to try. Any suggestions on what weight Spey rod is good for a beginner to try on the larger Colorado rivers?
Old 03-25-2010, 04:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewmaster View Post
Dan,

I have never tried a Spey rod, and I thought about picking up one of the Albright GP rods - as you said, you cannot beat the price. Unfortunately the options left on the rod sale are the 14' 9/10 or the 15' 10/11. These both seem to be pretty heavy rods for very large salmon fishing. Since I only get salmon or steelhead fishing every 3-4 years (steelhead in Washington or salmon in Alaska) I am not sure this is the right weight rod for me to start Spey casting with - I would not get very much use out of the rod.

Living in the center of the country most of the trout fishing is in much smaller streams, bu I am hoping to make a trip West this year or next and thought a Spey rod would be a fun thing to try. Any suggestions on what weight Spey rod is good for a beginner to try on the larger Colorado rivers?
I use it for walleye. The main point is to cast really far. Big rods cast farther. If you are fishing anywhere that a long cast would help, then go big. Either rod Albright still has would be good. This is a video I put on you tube when I first started casting. I have improved. But the point is, look at the fish I'm catching here, not a big Salmon in the lot. It seems that I may be the first person to intentionally target Walleye with a spey rod. It's a shame more people have not seen the uses for the long rods other than the traditional Salmon and Trout. This is my rod of choice for anyplace with big waters, especially if the banks are high and close. I don't care what kind of fish it is. I fished it in a Lake for Largemouth Bass. Besides that, they are just really fun to cast. It's so fun I have dreams about it. My only regret about the deals at Albright was that they didn't have a 17' rod. I have put 130' casts out there with my 15' 8/9 wt Meiser, and the 10/11 I got from Albright is big enough to handle a long belly line, with an 85' head. Look at it this way, 85' head + 15' leader + 15' rod = 115' just rolling the head out. Now shoot another 40' of running line and your fly is 155' away. Even taking out 10% for squiggles in your line, you are still looking at 140'. Most people look at a spey rod as a rod for Salmon and Steelhead. This isn't really the right way to think of it. The fly is what determines what fish you target, not the rod. The rod is the delivery system. My rod is a long distance carrier.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:56 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Dan,
That is a great video. Give it some time, and you will be seeing people use two handers as Walleye rods.

Brewmaster,

I use 6 weights (12'6" Spey and 11' switch) for Northern California fishing. I use them for Rainbow Trout, Brown Trout, Steelhead, and American Shad. I have caught fish from a dinky 6 inches to some as large as 28 inches. The river runs that I fish with them are as narrow as 40 feet and as wide as 150. In most fishing situations, I rarely cast more than 60 feet.

As Dan said, the rod is a delivery system. Last week I was fishing with my boss. His best cast with his single hander was to mid-river. My casts were across the river (about 80 feet). I was able to get my fly in the zone, and he wasn't. When he finished the run, he did not get any grabs. When I finished the run behind him I had landed three fish.

I have a feeling that for the flies that you will be casting, the rivers that you will be fishing, and the fish that you are targeting, you will probably be happy with a 6 weight.

MP
Old 03-26-2010, 12:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
Dan,

As Dan said, the rod is a delivery system. Last week I was fishing with my boss. His best cast with his single hander was to mid-river. My casts were across the river (about 80 feet). I was able to get my fly in the zone, and he wasn't. When he finished the run, he did not get any grabs. When I finished the run behind him I had landed three fish.

MP
Thanks Mosca, and I know what you mean about being able to get the fly in the zone. I fish with a friend who uses a single hand rod and I catch way more fish than he does. We use the same fly, but I can put the fly out farther, and the longer leader used on a spey rod gets my fly deeper. I have a distinct advantage. My ratio may not be as good as your 3/zip, but it's probably 3 to 1.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:22 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Brewmaster,

I was in the same boat as you, while trying to decide what I wanted. I ended up building a switch rod and I picked up a 12' 5/6 wt Spey on E-Bay because I got a good price on it. I'm fishing a 6wt switch rod and now the spey rod, and really liking the extra distance I get when I swing flies.

Dan, nice video...

Dan
Old 03-30-2010, 10:19 PM
Banned

Thanks Dan. It is unreal how far you can cast a spey rod isn't it? I had my spey rod at the railroad bridge the other day. The sections are 30' long and have a crossed set of beams marking the center of each section. It makes it pretty easy to tell how far you are casting. I was doing casts consistantly in the 125' range. In fact to cast farther I need to get a longer line. I leave a few turns of line on the spool, because backing is limp and I get little loops in it if I peel the whole line off. Check out this photo. The line is straight across the river like a dang chalk line. When I cast this it hit the reel hard. I can't tell you how much I love my Meiser. To steal a line from Blades of Glory, "I could not love a human child more"
Click the image to open in full size.