The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2010, 10:01 AM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice
Default Spey Casting by any other name?

I have recently become a bit interested in learning more about Spey casting, so I have been reading all the forum threads about spey casting, and also reading assorted magazine articles. Then I watched several of the youtube.com videos, and surprise, surprise! Apparently I have been Spey casting for years (or something like that!) and just did not know it.

I am basically a self-taught fly fisherman who learned to cast by trial and error more than 40 years ago (long before the internet existed), and by watching a few other folks casting on the tight streams in the Midwest where space to back cast is usually an infrequent luxury. I have been using techniques almost the same as the Spey cast, the double Spey cast and the Snap-T cast for more than 20 years and have been calling them different names (e.g. I simply called the Spey cast a "half-cast", and called the Snap-T a "cross-cast").

I saw more than one video where they use the phrase "Single-Handed Fly Rod Casting Using Spey Casting Techniques". Thus my question: is it only considered "Spey" casting when you use a two-handed Spey rod or at a minimum a Switch rod? Is it still called "Spey" casting with a standard one-handed rod?
Old 03-25-2010, 11:11 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spey Casting by any other name?

Spey casts can be done with a single hand rod. The best video to learn them from is the Rio's Modern Speycasting DVD. This is the You Tube trailer for the DVD. Look at the casts starting at about 1:25.
Old 04-04-2010, 03:42 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Forgot all about this board until I did a 'google search' for something quite different.

That aside, all a 'spey cast' is, is a 'change of direction' cast without all the fall-da-rall needed to accomplish the same (false casting) necessary with a one-hander rod. Ergo, why you can very successfully do a 'spey cast' with a one-hander.

The rod doesn't care.

fae
Old 04-04-2010, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Without knowing that I was "Spey Casting" I have been doing this for many years. I was a fixture on the 'No Wading' water on Pennsylvania's Spring Creek for nearly two decades. During those years I used a 9'6" rod and all of my fishing was done from shore. This was a shoreline that offered almost no opportunity for a classic back-cast. Mastering the spey style casts was mandatory if you had any intention of reaching the opposite side of the creek. A typical roil cast wouldn't get er done so I developed most of the cast's shown in the video without knowing how useful the practice would be when I got my hands on a 13' and a 550 gr short head set up. I was doing some casting yesterday and I have one word for the two hand rod, Cannon.

Almost all of my favorite rivers offer no liberal back casting so this change in rods was pretty much a matter of evolution up here.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:23 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say the "Cannon" thing is no exaggeration. If it was any more fun, someone would be trying to make it illegal. I have dreams that I am spey casting. Neatest invention since the napkin.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:30 AM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Without knowing that I was "Spey Casting" I have been doing this for many years. I was a fixture on the 'No Wading' water on Pennsylvania's Spring Creek for nearly two decades. During those years I used a 9'6" rod and all of my fishing was done from shore. This was a shoreline that offered almost no opportunity for a classic back-cast. Mastering the spey style casts was mandatory if you had any intention of reaching the opposite side of the creek. A typical roil cast wouldn't get er done so I developed most of the cast's shown in the video without knowing how useful the practice would be when I got my hands on a 13' and a 550 gr short head set up. I was doing some casting yesterday and I have one word for the two hand rod, Cannon.

Almost all of my favorite rivers offer no liberal back casting so this change in rods was pretty much a matter of evolution up here.
That is pretty much what I have discovered as I have begun to investigate Spey casting - I also developed several of the same casts myself out of necessity due to lack of back-casting room....I just never knew they had a different name. I have not made the jump to the spey-length rod (yet) but will be keeping my eye open for a deal on a switch rod (11'+) or a short spey rod (13').
Old 04-23-2010, 11:36 AM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

I am doing a test drive on the new 5wt Sage 99.
It came with a 6wt RIO steel head taper line.
If you fish smaller water (no long aerial casts), this is great line for water anchored casts on shorter rods, (although a muted color would be nice).
The weight forward lines don't have the mass to turn the line over in a roll cast (for instance) after a fairly short distance. I have fished all winter, and can count on both hands, the aerialised casts I've made. How did I fish all these years without this line? The one haned "Spey" style is so fun, I have a hard time coming back to the short rod, but the casts for it come along too.
I'll give a report on the rod in a week or so... fish to catch.

Jim

Bigfly
Old 05-20-2010, 11:08 AM

MacFly55 will become famous soon enoughMacFly55 will become famous soon enough

wow... I just watched that video and realized Ive been doing some of the same things with my 9' launch just to try to get my line where I wanted in on a small stream in TN... ... I still have lots of practicing to do but it seems Im on the right track..

now.. a little side question on this...

.. when I am able to get on the water I fish mostly lakes and reservoirs here in Ca.. it is mostly shore fishing.. recently my sis's husband put together a 10' 8" rainshadow switch rod for me.. I use a wf 7f rio grand line on it.. so far I have used a roll cast and a snap t type cast with it..

my question is this.. and I have asked this on other forums so I am curious what the answers will be here...

is a spey rod setup effective on stillwaters?

from what I understand spey casting is designed primarily around moving water as the movement of the water provides the resistant force on the line to make the spey cast effective..

MacFly
Old 05-21-2010, 07:26 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Interesting question, and I think the answer is yes, a spey rod can be used on still water. I actually picked up an 11 switch rod just for this purpose - fishing stillwater from shore. Now, I have only used it once at lake davis a week ago, but I think it is gonna be fun.

What I learned:
1. Trying to aerialize a shorthead multi-tip is a challenge, tends to drop down in the back cast for me
2. When you strip in you have to get some line back out on the water to get the casts going again
3. When you do get the cast right, you can lay a lot of line out
4. Works better for me with weighted flies, not dry flies, the dries did not want to lay out nicely due to no weight on the tip and the line overpowering them a bit.
5. I need a lot of practice

d
Old 05-21-2010, 09:59 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I use single-handed spey techniques mainly for quick changes of direction when the confines of small streams do not allow much more than roll casts.
We all know how easy it is to get snarled-up when changing direction on some standard roll casts.