The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2010, 07:51 PM

oregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the rough
Default Learning the spey cast on a Switch rod....

So, is this just a bad idea? I like the concept of a switch rod moreso than a spey rod for whatever reason. I'll mainly be using it with a compact head for swinging flies on everything from larger rivers like the Clackamas and Sandy, as well as some tighter coastal rivers where you barely have ten feet behind you for a backcast. That's probably the most attractive part about a shorter rod.

I'll be fishing it in conjunction with a 8-weight one hander that'll be used mainly for nymphing or really small water.

Is it much harder to learn d-loops and snap-t's, stuff like that, on a switch rod? Will a switch rod cast significantly shorter than a spey rod? What about fly sizes? What are the limitations?
Old 05-21-2010, 08:40 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Learning the spey cast on a Switch rod....

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonism View Post
So, is this just a bad idea?
It is easier to learn Spey casting with a full length rod rather than a compact rod.

Quote:
I like the concept of a switch rod moreso than a spey rod for whatever reason. I'll mainly be using it with a compact head for swinging flies on everything from larger rivers like the Clackamas and Sandy, as well as some tighter coastal rivers where you barely have ten feet behind you for a backcast. That's probably the most attractive part about a shorter rod.
All I need for an effective Spey cast is 5 to 10 feet of backcast room when I'm using rods up to 13'6" with Skagit lines.

Quote:
I'll be fishing it in conjunction with a 8-weight one hander that'll be used mainly for nymphing or really small water.
Okee Dokee.

Quote:
Is it much harder to learn d-loops and snap-t's, stuff like that, on a switch rod?
The learning curve is steeper since the lever is shorter. When you have the longer lever of a Spey rod, it is easier to move line around.

Quote:
Will a switch rod cast significantly shorter than a spey rod?
Yes. Comparing my 6 weight Spey versus my 6 weight switch, the difference in distance between the two types of rods is about 20 feet.

Quote:
What about fly sizes?
I would give the advantage to the Spey rod. The longer lever plus the heavier line mass should be able to cast the larger payload.

Quote:
What are the limitations?
The limitations on the switch are a steeper learning curve, distance, and payload.

MP
Old 05-25-2010, 01:17 PM

oregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the rough

So, considering I already have a one hander, should I just skip the switch and go straight to a spey? Should I go with a longer spey to begin with, or should I stick around 13ft?
Old 05-25-2010, 10:21 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
So, considering I already have a one hander, should I just skip the switch and go straight to a spey? Should I go with a longer spey to begin with, or should I stick around 13ft?
I would get the Spey rod that you will want to use for the fish that you are targeting. With today's newer styles of fly lines, even cavemen can learn how to Spey cast. Read Simon's Gawesworth's Understanding Spey Lines 2010 on the different styles of lines. In my opinion, the easiest line to work with is the Skagit style.

For all of my Northern California and Southern Oregon fishing, I use a 12'6" 6 weight. You can go to a 13' or 13'6" 7 weight rod if you want to really dredge with super heavy flies (lead wrapped, dumb bell eyed). To me the difference between a 6 and 7 weight is the kind of delivery system that the caster wants.

Check with your local shop to see what it recommends for your area.

MP
Old 05-26-2010, 08:43 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

Rio has come out with shorter spey lines designed for shorter rods.
Randy
Old 05-26-2010, 10:55 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Listen to the man...he's knows.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:38 PM

gwozdz is on a distinguished road

For beginning to learn spey casting I would start off with a 12' 2 handed spey. Borrow one or purchase a used one, then go with the switch once you have mastered the cast. A good lesson by an experienced caster would be nice or get a video.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:46 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

My first was a 13' 8 weight and you can cast with your back against the bush, literally no room behind you at all. When fishing small water where the long rod will not be a good choice I use one hand rods. Something you need to understand is that the "Spey cast" can be done with a one hand rod albeit much harder to do I have been using what is known as a snap T and a single or double spey for 25 years with one hand rods. I see spey casting as a highly developed roll cast. This may be oversimplifying the subject but if you understand the physics and mechanics of a good roll cast you will have no problem learning the two hand casts.

Do not cut yourself short when you buy a rod. The longer the rod the easier the cast and as I said when conditions demand a shorter rod you already own one, right?

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-30-2010, 10:25 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I can agree/disagree with just about everything that's been said so far. I first learned the basic casts with my single hander, snaps, c-speys, pokes and the single. Then I picked up an 11' switch, I had no hard times transitioning at all, like Ard said "understand the mechanics". With the modern lines out there now its easier than its ever been, but there are alot of variables. Personal preference, casting stroke, fly size, depth of water, and flows are all part of the equation you have to solve. Skagit style casts will get you fishing in no time with some observation and practice on the grass and its a good starting point to get familiar with the way the rod loads and how your own body mechanics come into play. Your buddy might like a 550 grain head while you might like 500, theres alot of playing around and finding what suits you best, to me that was the fun part. A two handed rod, whether switch or spey is way more personalized than the average single hander, for me its the most fun way to fish wets and dries ( if I can ever temp a GL fish to the surface). Your best bet is to link up with a shop that can offer "test drive" gear, play around with all the lines out there till you find what suits you and don't get caught up in what everyone else is casting. Most importantly remember to have fun with it!!!