The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2010, 09:58 PM

MacFly55 will become famous soon enoughMacFly55 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Switch Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
What weight and which brand switch rod do you have?

I was testing Sage switch rods. The lines that I tested were recommendations by Simon Gawesworth - Rio line designer.

When I bought my 6 weight switch three seasons ago, I tried fishing it with a Scientific Anglers Mastery Mastery Steelhead line. I could get the rod to load off the tip, but it wasn't enough for me to cast a heavy wind resistant steelhead line. The heavier lines are designed to help throw a heavy payload.

I don't think that you will have the capacity to hold a 425 grain Rio Skagit Short on the 7/8 reel. The 425 grain line is pretty darn fat. You may want to get the 9/10 size instead if that is available. Also keep in mind that you are putting a reel on an 11 foot rod. The extra mass may balance better on it.

I haven't made the switch to furled leaders. For Spey casting, I tie a one foot length of 30 pound test mono with a loop on the end to my Versitip.. From there, I loop on three to five feet of Maxima. I don't overhead cast with my switch. Since you plan on it, just tie on a leader that has a total length equal to equal plus a half of the rod.

If you want to talk nymph setups, let me know. That is a whole other rig.

MP
MP...

I have a 10' 8" Rainshadow RX7 6#.. and as I said I have a WF7F Rio Grand spooled up for it..

MacFly
Old 06-22-2010, 11:19 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFly55 View Post
MP...

I have a 10' 8" Rainshadow RX7 6#.. and as I said I have a WF7F Rio Grand spooled up for it..

MacFly
It appears that you found the correct overhand line for your rod.

MP
Old 06-23-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
It appears that you found the correct overhand line for your rod.

MP
whew... Id hate to be the one to tell Joni or Mojo that they are wrong...

thank you for the feedback.. look forward to more posts in this section...

MacFly
Old 06-23-2010, 08:27 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Mac,
I am not the person to tell one that the line that he has is incorrect if that person likes how that line casts with that rod. What I might feel is too light, someone may feel just feels right. If you like the line setup, don't change it.

MP
Old 06-23-2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Mac,
I am not the person to tell one that the line that he has is incorrect if that person likes how that line casts with that rod. What I might feel is too light, someone may feel just feels right. If you like the line setup, don't change it.

MP
You kind of lost me on that one. The comment about Joni and Mojo was a joke. Id honestly like to hear what you think about the line setup that I have. I have used it twice and it roll casts great. Im a novice with this type of setup so any input you can give me is appreciated.

MacFly
Old 06-23-2010, 11:36 PM

Hi Mac,
I didn't think you were joking about your choice of line in regards to Joni and Mojo. I thought they recommended something else or didn't like your choice.

Everyone has different tastes on how lines feel on rods. If you find one that you like, stick with it.

The Rio Grand should be a good line for that rod. Even though it is rated as a 7 weight line, it has the 30 foot weight of 204 grains. It is nearly an 8 weight line. You should have the line mass to do some cool single handed Spey casts. You should have enough line mass to flip indicators, as well. There should be plenty of belly to do some nice rolls.

If you really want to have fun with your rod this summer, learn how to skate Chernobyl Ants. It will make for some pretty intersting takes.

MP
Old 06-24-2010, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Hi Mac,
I didn't think you were joking about your choice of line in regards to Joni and Mojo. I thought they recommended something else or didn't like your choice.

Everyone has different tastes on how lines feel on rods. If you find one that you like, stick with it.

The Rio Grand should be a good line for that rod. Even though it is rated as a 7 weight line, it has the 30 foot weight of 204 grains. It is nearly an 8 weight line. You should have the line mass to do some cool single handed Spey casts. You should have enough line mass to flip indicators, as well. There should be plenty of belly to do some nice rolls.

If you really want to have fun with your rod this summer, learn how to skate Chernobyl Ants. It will make for some pretty intersting takes.

MP
MP,

The misunderstanding is my fault. I should of clarified how I got what I got....

Mojo was kind enough to help me select the rod kit and then he put it together for me. IN doing so they tested several lines and Joni knowing my limited capabilities suggested that line. I trust their advice implicitly. I am finding the same with you. They suggested that line for that rod and I am satisifed with it with as much as I have done with it so far.

I am honestly interested in your opinion because reading your posts you obviously know what you are talking about just as they do.

If you have a suggestion on a different line that might work with this rod please dont hesitate to suggest it. My goal this summer is to get on the water more than I have in the past.. mainly to get more experience with the equipment I have.

In the two times that I have had this rod on the water I have practiced roll casting with it. I am very pleased with the result. I am able to roll cast at least 30 feet if not more and that is more than I have in the past. I am hoping to get out more and start learning to switch cast with it.. maybe some spey casting (if that is possible). Maybe Ill be lucky and catch a fish or two with it if I am lucky.

Now you mentioned "skate Chernobyl Ants". What is that and how is it done? Is there a video on line that I can watch?

I have a local lake that I know has bass and gills in it. I would love to catch a few of them with this rod. (as of now it is the only rod that I have that I have not caught a fish with).... is it unrealistic to use flies like renegades, or poppers, or hoppers with this rod... ?

Thank you for your input and Ill be keeping an eye on this forum .. :-)

MacFly
Old 06-24-2010, 03:30 AM

Mac,
If you want to get into true two handed Spey casting with your rod, you will need another line. You can fish a Scandi shooting head with a floating or sinking polyleader. Make sure to read my links that I posted earlier in the thread.

Skating dry flies is a technique that is commonly used for steelhead. It can be used for trout, too. The best that I can describe the technique is swinging a dry fly on the surface. What is great about it is that you enjoy the take in two ways: you feel it and see it. Here is an instructional video by John Hazel.

When I fish for trout in this manner, I usually use foam flies like a Chernobyl Hopper or a Chernobyl Ant. If you want to use non-foam dry flies, coat the bejeeze of those flies with floatant. One of my friends skates a #8 Royal Wulff with good results.

The flies that you listed will be able to be thrown with your rod.

MP
Old 06-24-2010, 08:44 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Dennis, great clip on skating flies...and thanks again for all the help you gave me...

Mac, I have the same rod you do. I rigged mine with a Scandi head and use poly leaders with it, I love it.

Dan
Old 06-24-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuronRiverDan View Post
Dennis, great clip on skating flies...and thanks again for all the help you gave me...

Mac, I have the same rod you do. I rigged mine with a Scandi head and use poly leaders with it, I love it.

Dan
okay ya'll are starting to speak that foreign language again...

skandi head with poly leaders???

Is that a scandinavian head and ???

Who is the suggested maker of this head and leader system... can this head be used effectively with a furled leader??

see.. ya'll got me asking questions again...

MacFly