The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2010, 02:14 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Switch Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFly55 View Post
skandi head with poly leaders???

Is that a scandinavian head and ???
Scandi head is a Scandinavian style shooting head. Airflo's Scandi Compact, Beulah's Elixir, and Rio's AFS are examples of these shooting heads.

Polyleaders are coated monofilament leaders that are designed to float or sink. On the terminal end, all one needs to do is tie on a few feet of tippet. You do not need to use furled leaders. Airflo has Polyleaders. Rio has Versileaders.

I thought that I posted the following link in this thread. I didn't. Read it. It will get you up to speed on the terminology.

http://www.rioproducts.com/photos/fi...nes%202010.pdf

MP
Old 06-24-2010, 02:32 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

That is if you're going to spey cast with a switch rod.

I don't plan to, so I want to use a 9ft furled leader with 18" - 24" of tippet.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:37 PM

MacFly55 will become famous soon enoughMacFly55 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuronRiverDan View Post
Dennis, great clip on skating flies...and thanks again for all the help you gave me...

Mac, I have the same rod you do. I rigged mine with a Scandi head and use poly leaders with it, I love it.

Dan
are you using spey casts.. or switch cast??
Old 06-24-2010, 06:05 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Mac, I used the rod for my entire Steelhead season. I used it swinging tube flies, streamers, and indicator fishing. As far as casting went, I did some spey type casting as well as overhead. The rod is a roll casting dream; when I spey cast with it and did everything the way I was supposed to it was great.
Dan