The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2010, 01:27 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Switch Rod

The problem I have is that I sit around and think about this stuff too much....

I've been conversation via another thread with Mosca (thanx again) concerning the purchase and use of a switch rod.

My original plan was to get a 7wt. Now, I'm rethinking it. I use my 5's much more and I LOVE to fish streamers. I already have a dry fly and wet fly/streamer setup in a one-hander. I also have a 7wt single hand that hasn't seen the water yet, which is making me rethink this whole 7wt switch idea.

Mosca has provided me with some really good information. Again, thanx. Based on this information, I am considering a 5wt (or 6wt) since I have a 7/8wt reel already lined with a rocket taper WF7F. Is this line too light to overhead cast on a switch rod of 5wt?
Old 06-07-2010, 03:23 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Switch Rod

I am glad that you are finding my insightful.

During the downtime of the sports shows last winter, I had some time to play around with some lines on the Sage switch rods for overhead casting. For the 5 weight switch rod, I found a WF6F (235 grains) Rio Outbound Short to be the best line. For the 6 weight switch rod, I found a WF7F (265 grains) Rio Outbound Short to be the best line. Keep in mind that the Rio Outbound Short lines are already uplined by 2 lines weights.

To answer your question, the WF7F line that you have will be too light for the 5 weight switch.

MP
Old 06-07-2010, 03:43 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Dude, you're gonna force me to get ya beer or six....

I understand. So, if I really wanted to replace my streamer stick with a two-hand unit, I should really be looking at something like this:

I'm going with one of the Allen & Co. switches.

Paired to this would be a 7/8wt Alpha or similar reel.

One spool could have a Rio Outbound WF6F with an Intermediate (or another tip)

One spool could have a Rio Skagit Short in about a 425gr for spey casting, when I get there. The Intermediate tips could be used on either, depending on length.

What is story on leaders? I'm a big believer in furled leaders. Could they be used at a short length (5ft) or is there something else that could be used?
Old 06-07-2010, 04:16 PM

MacFly55 will become famous soon enoughMacFly55 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
I am glad that you are finding my insightful.

During the downtime of the sports shows last winter, I had some time to play around with some lines on the Sage switch rods for overhead casting. For the 5 weight switch rod, I found a WF6F (235 grains) Rio Outbound Short to be the best line. For the 6 weight switch rod, I found a WF7F (265 grains) Rio Outbound Short to be the best line. Keep in mind that the Rio Outbound Short lines are already uplined by 2 lines weights.

To answer your question, the WF7F line that you have will be too light for the 5 weight switch.

MP
I have the wf7f on my switch rod.. is that not a good line??
Old 06-07-2010, 04:50 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFly55 View Post
I have the wf7f on my switch rod.. is that not a good line??
What weight and which brand switch rod do you have?

I was testing Sage switch rods. The lines that I tested were recommendations by Simon Gawesworth - Rio line designer.

When I bought my 6 weight switch three seasons ago, I tried fishing it with a Scientific Anglers Mastery Mastery Steelhead line. I could get the rod to load off the tip, but it wasn't enough for me to cast a heavy wind resistant steelhead line. The heavier lines are designed to help throw a heavy payload.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle27 View Post
One spool could have a Rio Skagit Short in about a 425gr for spey casting, when I get there. The Intermediate tips could be used on either, depending on length.
I don't think that you will have the capacity to hold a 425 grain Rio Skagit Short on the 7/8 reel. The 425 grain line is pretty darn fat. You may want to get the 9/10 size instead if that is available. Also keep in mind that you are putting a reel on an 11 foot rod. The extra mass may balance better on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle27 View Post
What is story on leaders? I'm a big believer in furled leaders. Could they be used at a short length (5ft) or is there something else that could be used?
I haven't made the switch to furled leaders. For Spey casting, I tie a one foot length of 30 pound test mono with a loop on the end to my Versitip.. From there, I loop on three to five feet of Maxima. I don't overhead cast with my switch. Since you plan on it, just tie on a leader that has a total length equal to equal plus a half of the rod.

If you want to talk nymph setups, let me know. That is a whole other rig.

MP
Old 06-07-2010, 07:09 PM

Does the leader have to be tapered?
Old 06-07-2010, 07:19 PM

Spey setup - No need for a tapered leader.
Overhead casting - Tapered.

MP
Old 06-22-2010, 10:25 AM

Back to the lines, a WF6 or WF7 Rio Short is good for overhead casting?

If I go with a 5wt switch, will it be sufficient for larger trout and smallies? Nothing larger than 5lbs?
Old 06-22-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle27 View Post
Back to the lines, a WF6 or WF7 Rio Short is good for overhead casting?
I am assuming it is the Rio Outbound Short. For a lightweight switch like a 5 weight - yes. The shorter head is easier to control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle27 View Post
If I go with a 5wt switch, will it be sufficient for larger trout and smallies? Nothing larger than 5lbs?
Yes.

MP
Old 06-22-2010, 12:47 PM

Mosca,

You are, indeed, the man.

Whenever you are in the DC area, we'll share a beer or three. I owe you that much, at least.

Da Ax