The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2011, 11:06 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Changed the Line, What a Difference!

I've always thought I wasn't getting the most out of my rod. The butt is marked 8 weight but the specifications state it's an 8/9. Last fall I bought a new Scientific Anglers short head 9 weight at a can't pass it up price. I spooled it this spring and wow! What a difference some head weight makes, now I'm using snake roll sets for many casts that I didn't do before because the lighter line was too hard to get response from.

On a side note the line is a strait floater type and not a multi tip set. The whole line was sunburst yellow so I dyed the running line coco brown.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

When I come home from fishing tomorrow I am going to dye the front 10 feet of the taper dark olive green. With the belly still sunburst you will be able to see the casts to be sure all is well with the loop and I'll feel better about the front taper being a muted color.

If you would like to know the line dying recipe just ask.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-13-2011, 12:54 AM

Davec921 has a spectacular aura aboutDavec921 has a spectacular aura aboutDavec921 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Changed the Line, What a Difference!

yea I am wondering if you could post the details of how you dye the line.

Thanks
DAVE
Old 06-13-2011, 01:06 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Ard first time I hear about dying a line....maybe we could use the recipe for our hair too...we're both turning really grey
Old 06-13-2011, 08:47 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

I dyed line using clothing dye.

Randy
Old 06-13-2011, 11:08 AM

araitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nice

i am also interested in the line dying process
Old 06-13-2011, 08:49 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I will put up a new thread tonight with a careful step by step. This works like a charm if you follow the instructions.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;