The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2011, 09:17 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Never thought I'd be posting here

, since I've never even seen a single spey cast in the flesh. But I called one of my winter fishing buddies about another mutual buddy who has a brain tumor. The second friend of mine, both fishermen, to come down with them in a week. Bad week.

Anyhow, my buddy Wayne up in Quebec had a spey guy for a client yesterday who went two for six out of Wayne's boat yesterday on muskie, with a rod Wayne said must have been 14 feet long. He guides mostly die-hard muskie fishermen and "ocassional" fishermen now, as the salmon fishing has gone to hell in his neighborhood. Both catch some pretty huge fish, mostly very big smallmouth for the "ocassionals".

So he's all psyched up to get a spey rod , though he said it's no easy chore landing muskie with a rod that long in a small boat. He's pretty good single handed throwing flies, but like me, he's never tried spey casting and never had a spey client before. He said if he gets a rod, he'll bring it down here this fall for me to play with, since he needs his truck anyhow to haul the skiff he leaves down here.

So maybe by this winter, I'll be popping in here for some advice. I really would like to try it. My bones and muscles are starting on the downhill slide now, and two-handed casting looks a lot easier on the body.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 06-29-2011, 10:30 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Never thought I'd be posting here

Some tough news to hear, sorry about the two friends. It #%@&s, plain and simple. I would think it would be difficult to do a figure 8 with a 14 footer! milt.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:46 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about your friends. I will tell you though, spey fishing is easier on the body. I used to get tennis elbow every year. No more tennis elbow. My back got screwed up pretty well a few years back and spey casting is much much easier on it. On another note, spey casting is almost to fun to be legal. I'm pretty sure I'd still do it even if I never caught a single fish doing it. And landing big fish is not as hard as it seems like it would be. My spey rods are all 15' long and I hand land big fish all the time. In fact I did a 40" Pike on video. I've landed bigger. Once you get that big you can do any of them. It's not as hard as some would have you believe. In fact the hardest part for me is getting bent down that far. My bendy parts are not as bendy as they used to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milt spawn View Post
Some tough news to hear, sorry about the two friends. It #%@&s, plain and simple. I would think it would be difficult to do a figure 8 with a 14 footer! milt.
They are so big, you can do figure 16's.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Jim,

I did some fishing yesterday with a 9' 5 weight flinging dry flies to trout here just to be sure I could still cast as well as I thought I could. The biggest problem with using the big long rods is that you have a very hard time going back to what you have always considered a normal rod. If there are plenty of fish taking a dry I can do it but when you see a 20+ pound fish roll or breach it's a little hard not to want to grab the big rod and start rolling casts and swinging a big wet fly. I've had a 13' rod for three seasons this coming fall run and what I wish for........................is that I would have been using one for wet fly & streamer fishing since the 80 / 90s. My experience using this style of fishing leads me to believe that there is not a more effective means for fishing sub surface flies / lures to game fish.

Yesterday I was fishing a creek across from a group of gear fishermen and it was clear that I keep my lure in the water and searching for game longer than they. True, that they make more casts but the long rod wet fly fisherman keeps the lure in the water more consistently. The challenge of depth is no different than it ever was for my as a fly fisherman. Current speed and depth of the flow are the only factors that have rule over whether of not I catch fish. For fishing slow moving currents or the coastal drift along the surf the rods excel at presenting a fly.

You'll probably like it,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-30-2011, 11:57 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

A figure 8 is how he caught the second one. I've never fished for them, but Wayne was telling me that they will follow the fly as far as a blacktip shark. Wayne said he didn't like the high sticking the guy was doing - but it was the customers rod, and he kept himself away from pullout trajectory, like all guides try to do.

I figured you'd respond Dan! I am definitely going to keep the big rod in mind.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 06-30-2011, 09:34 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Sorry to hear about your friends. I will tell you though, spey fishing is easier on the body. I used to get tennis elbow every year. No more tennis elbow. My back got screwed up pretty well a few years back and spey casting is much much easier on it. On another note, spey casting is almost to fun to be legal. I'm pretty sure I'd still do it even if I never caught a single fish doing it. And landing big fish is not as hard as it seems like it would be. My spey rods are all 15' long and I hand land big fish all the time. In fact I did a 40" Pike on video. I've landed bigger. Once you get that big you can do any of them. It's not as hard as some would have you believe. In fact the hardest part for me is getting bent down that far. My bendy parts are not as bendy as they used to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Crack me up Dan! Never thought of it that way! Do you guys really do the 8's with spey and single hand fly rods? milt.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:53 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I've figure 8'd with a single hand rod, but so far I have not tried it with a spey rod. I generally fish a spey rod like it's a single hand rod, stripping the line all the way back in. When I get the leader to the rod I pull the rod up stream and watch for a follow. If I get a follow I try and use the rod to do some fleeing type motion with the fly. Sometimes it works......other times not so much. So I guess I'm doing more of a figure h.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:06 PM

I guess my main concern would be bustin' a tip, but I assume the water would 'dampen' shock. milt.