The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2011, 05:43 PM

chicagojohn will become famous soon enoughchicagojohn will become famous soon enough
Default Echo TR Spey Rods vs Higher End Competition

I'm looking at purchasing my first spey rod. How does the Echo TR Spey Rod series stack up against some of the higher priced spey rods on the market?

I'm looking for a rod that will use a skagit style line with the ability to do a little overhead casting. I'm not necessarily bound to this price range; however, I have heard a few good reviews of this series and wonder if the more expensive rods are that much better.

Finally, what rod length and weight would be most versatile?
Old 07-23-2011, 06:39 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Echo TR Spey Rods vs Higher End Competition

I've never cast one but if it helps, they have Tim Rajeff on their design team. Him and his brother Steve are among the best casters around. I would think they would be a good casting rod. I did a look at a poll frequented by spey casters and they put Echo in third place for Skagit casting behind Sage and Meiser. I own a Meiser and to steal a line from 'Blades of Glory' I could not love a human child more. Skagit casting is not the easiest way to learn spey casting. How deep and fast is the place you intend to fish with this rod? Also, what length and weight were you looking at?

Last edited by Guest1; 07-23-2011 at 09:25 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-23-2011, 08:45 PM

chicagojohn will become famous soon enoughchicagojohn will become famous soon enough

I was initially looking in the 13.5 foot range with a 7 or 8 weight rod to fish some of the larger rivers off of lake michigan on the Michigan side. I also planned some shore line fishing.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:24 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

For big rivers and for lakes the bigger the better. I found a deal on a 14' 4" 9wt. Sage you might be interested in. Sage is a more expensive rod but with the discount they have going on here it might be worth the look anyway.
sage-vt2-s-spey-fly-fishing-rod-

I'm not familiar with those rivers, so how fast and deep are they?
Old 07-24-2011, 10:18 AM

wovenstonefly has a spectacular aura aboutwovenstonefly has a spectacular aura about

I haven't fished the Echo TR but I have two of the Echo DH. The TR is a little faster than the DH so it just depends on your casting style. I like slow rod's when fishing two hands and fast rod's when fishing a standard rod. I haven't fished a ton of two handed rod's (4-5) but I like the Echo DH more than everything I have fished. I have the 13'3" 8wt and an 11'9" 4 wt. both cast like a dream.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Echo has an even cheaper line called the Solo that might be worth your consideration.

At $229, I'm considering picking up the 12.5' 6wt.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:03 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

I would go with the Dec Hogan series if you plan to use skagit heads...

In regards to the ECHO rods, they are good rods, sure you can get better rods, but you are going to spend twice as much if not more and the ECHO rods get the job done just fine...

Last edited by kwb; 07-25-2011 at 09:28 AM.