First Switch Rod

hookworm

Reaction score
After wading on the Missouri and not having enough room for a back cast or the wind is being a pain I've been talked into trying a switch rod.
I don't want to break the bank so I'm considering and Echo SR, TFO Deercreek, or Beulah Classic. Looking to go with a 11' 6wt and use it for big trout.
Any rod under $400 that stands out from the rest?

wt bash

Reaction score
The Meis and Mike Kinney, I fish the 7wt 11' and I love it on our lake run fish. A 5wt with an Ambush taper or a matched Skagit compact will still throw a pretty big streamer, put a flaoting poly leader or a furled leader and a good length of tippet and can still fish dries and soft hackles.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Of the three listed, I am partial to the Beulah Classic. Use it with the recommended Beulah heads, the Classic will cast like a dream. I cannot confirm it, but it is said that the Classic is a Meiser/Kinney designed blank. It truly has that Meiser/Kinney feel.

Dennis

hookworm

Reaction score
What about the St. Croix Imperial. I noti6ed Fly Fisherman Mag gave it best value?
I wish the Orvis Access came in a 6wt. I think that could be a great bang for the buck rod.

jeremy_w

Reaction score
I was not the biggest fan of my switch rod from St croix 11' 8 weight. For a steelhead/salmon rod, i'd like something a little slower. You can get a wild water, which i've actually heard are fantastic rods and i've used their spey and switch rods are only $159. Their customer service is pretty stellar too. my buddy who's a guide broke a tip top, the next morning there was a new one at the door before he was ready to go fishing. There are pleanty of guys that'll build a rod at reasonable prices as well. Bart custom rods makes a nice switch rod, that you can buy direct from him(not sure of the price) But, it's selling for $249.00 in store. Also Ken from K-kustom rods charges about $120 in labor and his work is great. I've decided on the custom route mainly because price is an issue fore me. $149.00 vs $300.00+ for a decent spey/switch rod just my 2 cents even though i'm not a spey or switch expert.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
The Meis and Mike Kinney, I fish the 7wt 11' and I love it on our lake run fish. A 5wt with an Ambush taper or a matched Skagit compact will still throw a pretty big streamer, put a floating poly leader or a furled leader and a good length of tippet and can still fish dries and soft hackles.
No 'thread hi-jack' intended but cool to read someone else is using furled leaders on their spey rods. Well made ones are a total treat to cast.:wiggle:
fae

swirlchaser

Reaction score
TFO has a pretty cool alternative for you. You can buy a TiCrX 9' in a 7wt for $249 and then buy a conversion kit for $149. The conversion kit comes with two additional pieces that replace the butt on the 9' rod. Basically you get two rods for $400 and all the pieces fit in on tube.

TiCr X Conversion Kits

hookworm

Reaction score
I'm surprised more haven't praised the Echo SR since with all the searching I have done a lot of folks really seem to like that rod. I am leaning more towards the Beulah because it looks like a better quality rod and anyone who has casted one seems to love it but I have also heard the same thing about the Echo???? decisions decsions

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi hook,

When it comes to line weight I wouldn't limit my search to a six. The switch / Spey rods and the casting styles for each lend themselves more toward fishing subsurface flies like streamers and the like. With that in mind and the fact you are looking for big fish heavier is often better. Add in the wind factor and suddenly a 7/8 or 8/9 doesn't sound all that bad. I use a 13' 8/9 with a SA 9 weight Short Head Spey line on it and I don't believe that the rod weight diminishes the joy of catching a 12" fish in the least. As a matter of fact it is a pleasant thing when you realize that small fish can be most quickly brought to hand, shore, or net (nets aren't that cool once the rod gets much past 11') without having to baby the rig.

I am always thinking 'big fish' so I never venture below an 8 pound tippet and more often a 10. With that big fish mentality small ones are a breeze and big ones are very manageable.

hookworm

Reaction score
thanks for the insight. Maybe I'll give the Access 7wt switch another look.

Last edited:

Bigfly

Reaction score
HW, been a Sage guy forever, but lately have been throwing a Beulah classic 6 switch.
Several clients wanted to do the single hand thing, so I borrowed a couple rods from our local shop to compare. We are not throwing D-loops, and fishing only about 60 ft out.
The Beulah switch 5-6 was a bit soft for me (like the Sage z-axis switch.), when fishing our indy style. Casts dreamy with a streamer though on the 8wt tonic.
But the 6 wt.classic is a canon. Fished their tonic line for a while (8wt.), then put on my Rio steelhead taper 9wt. It performed better fishing indy style (water load,roll cast, with lots of weight and long leaders fished deep.). Several guys I fish with, have come to the same conclusion on lines for this rod.
A test drive side-by-side really will convince. The big belly/weight really helps on turnover.
Can't talk price, but they are less than Sage.......
I'm going to pick up classic 7wt for this year's steelies on the Trinity.
Two weeks and counting till I get to fish for fun.....

Jim

Last edited:

flymark

Reaction score
I have an Echo SR 4 weight I got for trout fishing, and I really dig it. If I were fishing rivers like the Missouri more, I'd probably opt for the 5 or 6 weight version, because you're probably fishing larger flies for larger fish than I am - but for coastal river trout here in Oregon, the 4 weight is about perfect.

hookworm

Reaction score
HW, been a Sage guy forever, but lately have been throwing a Beulah classic 6 switch.
Several clients wanted to do the single hand thing, so I borrowed a couple rods from our shop to compare. We are not throwing D-loops, and fishing only about 60 ft out.
The Beulah switch 5-6 was a bit soft for me (like the Sage z-axis switch.), when fishing our indy style. Casts dreamy with a streamer though on the 8wt tonic.
But the 6 wt.classic is a canon. Fished their tonic line for a while (8wt.), then put on my Rio steelhead taper 9wt. It performed better fishing indy style (water load,roll cast, with lots of weight and long leaders fished deep.). Several guys I fish with, have come to the same conclusion on lines for this rod.
A test drive side-by-side really will convince. The big belly/weight really helps on turnover.
Can't talk price, but they are less than Sage.......
I'm going to pick up classic 7wt for this year's steelies on the Trinity.
Two weeks and counting till I get to fish for fun.....

Jim

Well based on this I think I might ask for a Classic 6/7 and steel head 9wt line....SA line should work the same should it not?

Bigfly

Reaction score
HW, it really depends on casting style, size of water.
I haven't used the SA indie line (if that's the one you mean).
Since many/most of the casts I do have some water anchor component to them.
I've never been crazy about casting on grass to test a rod.
With switch rods, even less so. Go to the water to be sure.
Just know there is a big difference between the 6/7 classic switch, and the 6 Platinum.
To me, a stiffer rod is good for water loads. Softer for throwing D loops.
Next to underware styles, it's almost as personal.

Jim