The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2011, 04:11 PM

mdraft1 will become famous soon enoughmdraft1 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: one handed spey casting

Guideline has a great switch rod that has a retractable fighting butt. It is light enough to cast single hand and then if you want to do a spey type cast you can grip the fighting butt as is or it extends about 4" to make the rod a true double hand rod. I believe it is the LPX switch. Great rod!!
Old 11-06-2011, 07:58 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

In a word: Yes. Probably do 'single handed spey casts' 95% of the time I'm using a single hander. No need for back cast room, cuts casting time in half if not more, and don't have to look behind me to see if one of my Doggies are sitting on the beach behind me.

Rod doesn't know and could care less.
fae
Old 07-18-2012, 09:08 AM

texastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura about

I am interested in getting a spey rod sometime soon and my question is this: Is practicing one hand spey casting helps you to do two hand spey casting?
Old 07-18-2012, 11:57 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

I have a question along this line.

I'd love to do this with a 7wt. I know that there are long belly fly lines made, would these be better to use rather than the usual WF line?
Old 07-18-2012, 01:52 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle27 View Post
I have a question along this line.

I'd love to do this with a 7wt. I know that there are long belly fly lines made, would these be better to use rather than the usual WF line?
Try it with a usual WF line two or three sizes uplined. Results will vary.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:00 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

So, I could try this with a 5wt and use a 7wt line....but, I'd just have to spey cast, right. No overhead casting with this? I know, it depends on the rod...
Old 07-18-2012, 04:08 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Been doing this for years ... THE ROD DON'T KNOW, THE ROD DON'T CARE.

There are a few 'spey casts' (snake roll as an example) that should be left off the table, the rest? To repeat myself, the rod don't know, the rod don't care.

Line wise a DT or a long head WF work well with this. Will you get the same distance as a regular 1-hander cast? No, but if you've go zip for back casting room .... what are your options?

Only thing I'd add is you need at least a 9.5 or a 10 foot rod. Below that?
Old 07-18-2012, 08:34 PM

Ah, Fred, you're killing me. The last thing I need is another rod. I sold my switch, tho I probably shouldn't have. I never really used it.

I might load up the old 5wt with a 7 and see what's doing'.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:11 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle27 View Post
I might load up the old 5wt with a 7 and see what's doing'.
Unless you are planning on doing nothing but spey casting with it, why would you overline it like that? If that's all you plan to do, you are right, you should not have sold your switch rod.

If I need to do it to prove a point. A point I might add, that has been beaten like a dead horse, and then beyond, I will make a video where I underline by two weights and do it with just half of the rod.

Let me summarize yet again. I am against overlining by two or three weights, as I find it to be not needed.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:10 AM

zeolite will become famous soon enough

Once you have learned the moves Spey casting (should be Ness casting BTW) is just a solution to whatever problem you have. The first is generally no backcast room but it can also be a strong upstream/downstream wind or just that you have a big/heavy fly. My most common move is a Circle C to get the flies and line upstream to set up a roll or jump roll. In a strong upstream/downstream wind this is a vital tool and very easy. I have been trying to perfect my turbo roll but it isn't there yet. I have found that sidecasting the roll helps cutting through the wind as well. Already Wyoming is modifying my casting! I have found that my left hand does follow the handle in a 2 hand shape though.

The longer the rod the better IMHO.