The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2012, 03:04 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: one handed spey casting

A friend who has been experimenting with this told me that if you have never done this, overlining helps. I gave it some thought. I hate the idea. If you get good at it overlined you still have the badly overlined rod and it will cause you problems. Second, it is NOT IN THE LINE! It is in what you do with it. Training to do it wrong will result in becoming good at doing it wrong. You are going to make me do a video aren't you? If I can hit 60' with half of a 9' rod and underlined 2 weights wil you never mention this again....ever?
Old 08-04-2012, 10:52 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: one handed spey casting

I've never found 'over lining' to be needed, but would be interested in how this would work with a double taper line vs a WF on a given rod.