The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2011, 02:48 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice
Default one handed spey casting

anybody have any experience with this
Old 10-31-2011, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: one handed spey casting

Yup.

Great way to fish a river while the other hand's busy with a beer/cigar.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:18 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I have. Although to do it where you get distance you need both hands. (Watch my left hand in the video) It helps to have a long head, be able to tell where the head ends and the running line starts, and a rod with a less than ultra fast action. I've never tried it with a double taper line, but I would think they would be good for that, but again you need to find the sweet spot in the line and mark it. I did a video a while back. The rod was underlined by one weight. You do not need to underline, nor is it required that you overline it. The best way to learn it by learning to spey cast with a two hand rod first, but you don't need to do it either. It just to me anyway seems to be the easiest way to do it.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:22 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

dan i saw this video a while back and thats what sparked my curiosity
Old 10-31-2011, 05:24 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Nice fish Dan.

Rick
Old 10-31-2011, 05:51 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I knew You would spot this and put that clip up so I just waited you out Since I have no video it seemed pointless to try to put into words what your film shows. Great casting there by the way DD. I was a single hand Spey caster for over 20 years and never knew that there was a name for what I was doing. It took until I got a two hand rod and saw some pictures of the casts and then it dawned on me that I was Spey casting. Whether you go 2 hand first or visa versa the transition is easy once you have developed the basics. When I came from my 1 hand Spey cast to the 13' rod I was making fishable casts in about 5 minutes and landed my first fish within half an hour.

Dans video shows you how far the cast can be made with very little room needed behind you to do it. When things get really tight you will lose a little distance but you can make a really good cast with the alders at your back. The difference between the standard roll cast and the Spey cast is a matter of a pre-determined line positioning, a quick pause to allow the line to establish an anchor to its new location on the surface, and most importantly TIMING. Also in accordance with what Dan said a rod with some mid flex is way better than a tip flexing speed demon when you are doing this style of casting.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-31-2011, 07:00 PM

i plan to use my fiberglass 6 weight for this
Old 10-31-2011, 07:27 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassonfly View Post
i plan to use my fiberglass 6 weight for this
9' rod? What line do you plan to use on it? Another thing that helps is knowing that speed is not a great thing with the spey cast.If you notice in my video, the front part of the head is "Anchored" on the water. This dragging the anchor is what loads the rod. Trying to go to fast will result in blowing your anchor and at best you will be pulling your fly out of the brush behind you. At worst your fishing buddy will be pulling the fly out of you. It took me a while to learn to slow down when I first started. If you really need to get distance, you still go slow, but move the rod forward without rotation, rotate late and haul late. By moving forward without rotation you sort of 'preload' the rod. I should probably do a more instructional type video. This was not the purpose for this one.

On another note. The cast I start at 0:23 in the video is called the around double spey. I personally think it's named wrong but that's a different subject. Don't try that one till you are sure you have real good line control or again, your fishing buddy will be pulling a hook out of you. I have done this cast with my 15' Meiser and it freaks everyone around out. It is a seriously fun cast. Add that to your bag 'o tricks late into the curve.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:32 PM

8' rod i plan to use my scientific anglers bonefish line
Old 10-31-2011, 07:35 PM
Banned

Longer is better but it'll still work. (The rod ) The line has a 45.5' head. That's a good length. I think the running line and head are the same color. What you should do is put a peice of electrical tape or something like it on where you think the head starts and try casting it. You may need to move the tape around ( It goes at the rod tip ) till you find where it casts best and then make a permanent mark with a sharpie or something. In the video I'm using a Trevor Morgan line, which has a green running line and a white head. On the 8 wt. rod I was using, it cast best with about 2' of head in the rod. It may take a bit of experimenting to find the spot.