The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2011, 09:47 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all
Default Excellent Double Spey Video

Andrew does a great job of explaining how it's done:

Randy
mcnerney likes this.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Excellent Double Spey Video

Good one Randy,

He does a very good job of explaining his casting.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-04-2011, 11:13 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I learned how to spey cast from videos like this. What I did was to stand in front of the monitor and mimick the moves. After I had them fairly memorized I watched it a few more times taking notes so that when I got to the water, if I had trouble I could refer to them. There is a guy named Kevin Patterson who is a Ghillie on the Tweed River in Scotland who made some really good videos to learn from. Unfortunately he deleted his channel (erntbv) and all the videos with it. Later he came back with a channel with a name that had something to do with Eumer Tubes. Now it seems to be gone. It's a shame because he had videos designed just to teach. I had thought about doing a thread with just good instructional videos, but the way Kevin's keep vanishing has put me off the idea.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:55 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

You guys are killing me with these two-handed rod videos. Your going to make me buy one. Ok, buy a few...

Great video, thanks for posting it.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:32 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
You guys are killing me with these two-handed rod videos. Your going to make me buy one. Ok, buy a few...

Great video, thanks for posting it.
Look at the stick......you are feeling sleepy......Your eyelids are getting heavy......You will only be be to look at the screen......You will awaken in two minutes and go buy a spey rod......
Old 11-04-2011, 01:40 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Look at the stick......you are feeling sleepy......Your eyelids are getting heavy......You will only be be to look at the screen......You will awaken in two minutes and go buy a spey rod......
Thanks Dan but I know what your trying to do! Your highly contageous and you want to give me your disease! Stay away...

P.S. I estimate that I will own a two handed rod before the spring...
Old 11-04-2011, 02:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
Thanks Dan but I know what your trying to do! ..
Dang! I forgot to put the "You will remember nothing of our conversation when you awaken...." on the end of that.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Dang! I forgot to put the "You will remember nothing of our conversation when you awaken...." on the end of that.
No worries, I just watched Jeong Park cast in slow motion. I'm hypnotized all over again.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:57 PM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

Swirlchaser,

If you make the jump don't make the mistake I initially did: match your line to your rod and your fishing situation.

Also, different techiques are used to cast different kinds of spey lines.

Randy
Old 11-04-2011, 10:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
Swirlchaser,

......: match your line to your rod and your fishing situation.

Randy
Very true. Before I got my first one I spent a good bit of time on the phone with Bob Meiser. He spent way more time answering my dumb questions than should be expected of anyone. When All was said and done, by the time I was ready to buy I knew just what to get and how it would work. Find someone to help you find what you will be happy with before pulling the trigger on buying.