The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > How to Spey Cast - Technique and Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 10:20 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ok, ok i give up! I'm buying one.

Ok gentlemen, I'm jumping in with both hands . I've decided to go with a Beulah for a few reasons:
1. They seem to specialized in two handed rods, not just dable in them.
2. Excellent reviews.
3. They also manufacture matching lines which for a newbie like me should cut down on some experimenting.

This is the rod I think I want:
Beulah Fly Rods - Classic Spey Rods - 7-8 wt

Here's where I need your help. The website recommends two lines for this rod:
FLY LINE RECOMMENDATIONS:
Scandinavian:Beulah Elixir 450 for 7/8 Spey.

Skagit: Beulah Tonic 500 for Spey 7/8

When I read the specs for both lines it seems the Tonic is better suited for a longer rod, am I missing something? The main purpose of this rod will be to get me into two handed fishing and for an upcoming Steelhead trip at the end of the month. All you trouble makers that keep posting videos can speak up now (Randy, Dan, etc)
Old 11-07-2011, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Ok, ok i give up! I'm buying one.

I would look at the videos of diver Dan casting across that huge river he fishes and talk to him if you're going to whip this baby into the salt. I have a 13' 8/9 and can't begin to match the distances he gets with his rig.

However the Beulah rods are very nice and I've read many a good review on them.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-07-2011, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

The shorter the head, the easier it will be to learn this type of casting, the Skagit Head is the shorter of the two.

Are you going with other spey casters? Just wondering because of the learning curve on casting. It can be a hugely frustrating thing trying to learn how to establish an anchor point, when to start your cast, which cast you need to be using when on river right or river left, etc, etc.

Not trying to discourage you but having someone with you who's willing to teach you some basics will really help, and going on a trip without some fundamentals can be a "hair raising" experience.

I'm only in my third year of using a two handed rod and things have really improved since year one, but speaking from having some very rough times in the beginning it does get better and I really enjoy using the bigger stick.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/

Old 11-07-2011, 10:45 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I would look at the videos of diver Dan casting across that huge river he fishes and talk to him if you're going to whip this baby into the salt. I have a 13' 8/9 and can't begin to match the distances he gets with his rig.

However the Beulah rods are very nice and I've read many a good review on them.
I'm guessing I'll be undergunned in the surf but I'm not convinced that I'll enjoy trying to hold anchor in the surf. I figured my first rig will be a freshwater rig for rivers. It will spend some time in my testing grounds at the watershed of course. If I stick with it I'll consider a big boy for the salt.

---------- Post added at 11:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
The shorter the head, the easier it will be to learn this type of casting, the Skagit Head is the shorter of the two.

Are you going with other spey casters? Just wondering because of the learning curve on casting. It can be a hugely frustrating thing trying to learn how to establish an anchor point, when to start your cast, which cast you need to be using when on river right or river left, etc, etc.

Not trying to discourage you but having someone with you who's willing to teach you some basics will really help, and going on a trip without some fundamentals can be a "hair raising" experience.

I'm only in my third year of using a two handed rod and things have really improved since year one, but speaking from having some very rough times in the beginning it does get better and I really enjoy using the bigger stick.
I took this same trip last year and fished my 10' 7wt. I caught enough fish but 2 of the guys I fished with used Spey rods. They didn't outfish me but they certainly didn't work as hard either. I'll still bring my 10' 7wt just in case but I think it's the perfect time to get some casting lessons from them.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

That will help a bunch. What type lines are they using?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/

Old 11-07-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
That will help a bunch. What type lines are they using?
That I don't know yet. My plan is to get a reasonable rig together and get the line wet a few times before I take the trip. If I go up having never cast the rod and I see those big, beautiful Steelhead I know I'll just grab my 7wt single hand rod and ignore the Spey all together
Old 11-07-2011, 11:02 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

With a 13' being a lighter rod you will catch on to overhead casting with it quick. This will make it good on the salt as well. I use mine at the bays and you will be able to put out a cast like you're used to with a 9 or 10 foot rod with very little effort. Once you get used to the timing and feel of the two handed overhead cast you'll like doing it when there is room behind you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-07-2011, 12:22 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Skagit will get you fishing faster, Scandi theres more of a timing thing. Skagit is best at tossing sink tips and larger flies usually weighted. You can pick up enough casts to get over some fish with a few you tube clips. If your going to try the surf your best bet, down the road of course is to line the rod with a single handed line twice as heavy as what the rod is rated for, sustained anchor (skagit) and touch an touch and go (scandi) doesn't work to good with wave action. Check out some of the Mike Kinney and Ed Ward utube clips and then get out on the lawn. Once you figure out how the line loads the rod the bells start ringing and its one of those "ah ha" moments.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
Skagit will get you fishing faster, Scandi theres more of a timing thing. Skagit is best at tossing sink tips and larger flies usually weighted. You can pick up enough casts to get over some fish with a few you tube clips. If your going to try the surf your best bet, down the road of course is to line the rod with a single handed line twice as heavy as what the rod is rated for, sustained anchor (skagit) and touch an touch and go (scandi) doesn't work to good with wave action. Check out some of the Mike Kinney and Ed Ward utube clips and then get out on the lawn. Once you figure out how the line loads the rod the bells start ringing and its one of those "ah ha" moments.
The Skagit line is the direction I was leaning towards after reading the line descriptions. I'm sure I have enough T11 and T14 tips laying around to build different configurations but I want get my hands on the rod and start with a basic rod. No sense tweaking line before I even know how to cast.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:34 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I have not tried to fish in the surf with a spey rod yet, but it is my understanding that getting an anchor in the surf is not easy. Most guys will overhead cast in surf. If the water is fairly flat I would not see a problem with an actual spey cast. Another thing you may want to think about is that the biggest problem I had while I was learning was blown anchors. Skagit and Scandi heads are short and easy to blow an anchor. Just for a starter line you may be more happy with something like an Airflo Delta tactical spey. Trevor Morgan lines would be another one as a good line to start. The Trevor Morgan Lines are longer and when you get really good you won't have "My line is to dang short" problems like I had with the Airflo line. I've got a 9/10 Trevor Morgan that has a 680gr. head. That may be outside the grain window of the rod, but you might find it easier to catch on to if you hit the high end of the grain window to start. If you want to go the Skagit route you need to get cheaters. There is a kind of general rule with the cheater of 3:1 on head and cheater to rod length. My rod is 15' so I would want to add a cheater to the Skagit head to get a 45' head. The Airflo and Trevor Morgan both have heads longer than that.

The Airflo 8/9 is 570grns @ 53'. I did a quick check and Trevor Morgan does not make a line that small. For my 2 cents, if I were going to recommend a starter line I'd go with the Airflo. The best price around I've seen on them is the Red Shed Fly shop.

What type of line do you normally use in the salt? That might help a bunch in picking your starter line.